Quantcast

Whiteface 10 run challenge

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Gondola takes 12 minutes in the summer. During our 5 K DH race they run it a little faster though.
2 runs per hour would add up to the 10 runs by 2:00 pm.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Its a pretty fuggin cool mountain. Lots of natural gnar, and most of the trails can be ridden as fast (or nearly as fast) chainless as they can with a chain. My only complaint is the lack of features (berms, jumps, drops) that give trails flow. Its pretty much entirely natural gnar with a few half hearted features thrown in. Not a bad thing, super super fun, and understandable given the rocky soil, but would still be nice to see some big jumps and dops with actual landings.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Its a pretty fuggin cool mountain. Lots of natural gnar, and most of the trails can be ridden as fast (or nearly as fast) chainless as they can with a chain. My only complaint is the lack of features (berms, jumps, drops) that give trails flow. Its pretty much entirely natural gnar with a few half hearted features thrown in. Not a bad thing, super super fun, and understandable given the rocky soil, but would still be nice to see some big jumps and drops with actual landings.
Your only complaint has been addressed. Sounds like you need to ride the trails with all the recent work that has been done. Much faster, much more flow, tons of berms and some new jumps and drops. We've been busy this year.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
My bike almost dissasembled after 5 pinned runs and had to go through all my spokes because they were falling out.

PRO GRT Course- REALLY REALLY Sick. Two sections lack flow.
1. Mid way through cliffs of insanity there is a rope across the trail where you can keep going down. Or you can tredge up the hill. After the rope there is a sweeping left into rocks that you can't really do anything with. I would add a bridge or alot more filler.

2. When you cross the stream. This could be much smoother. You have to bunny hop to small uphill or just plow it. A kicker or bridge would help clear this feature and help with flow.

Just my 2 cents.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
My bike almost dissasembled after 5 pinned runs and had to go through all my spokes because they were falling out.

PRO GRT Course- REALLY REALLY Sick. Two sections lack flow.
1. Mid way through cliffs of insanity there is a rope across the trail where you can keep going down. Or you can tredge up the hill. After the rope there is a sweeping left into rocks that you can't really do anything with. I would add a bridge or alot more filler.

2. When you cross the stream. This could be much smoother. You have to bunny hop to small uphill or just plow it. A kicker or bridge would help clear this feature and help with flow.

Just my 2 cents.
The section mid way down the Cliffs under the rope: That is def the line to take. Work has already been done there. We are planning on a bridge for that section below the rope.
As for the 2nd section you are talking about. I don't think we can mess with the stream crossing. However, Peter M. is going to add flow down the entire course. Maybe we can have a temporary kicker there just for the race. That location will be a very popular area for spectators this year, so I am really liking that idea.

Thanks!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
That section through the creek you do plow through it at a sport pace as I do. However, when I watch experts or pros hit that, they seem to launch right over it much easier than I can. That's why I leave those decisions to our pro riding trail builders.

Here's a picture of Chris Heath taken a couple of years ago on the drop on the Cliffs:

Here's one of the creek crossing:

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Okay I just got the official word from the Olympic Regional Development Authority.

Ten Run Challenge will be on Saturday July 31 and Sunday August 1.

4 simple rules:
01) Anyone that can ride 10 runs from the summit of Little Whiteface receives 1 free day pass for this summers biking season.
(not valid during our 5 K DH race on the 9-10, 9-11 and 9-12-2010)

02) Must use the same bike for all 10 runs.

03) Must stay on designated bike trails only. Riding on an unmarked trail or down a ski trail will result in immediate disqualification.

04) Must sign in for contest and have your run counted at the bottom of each run.

Bike n Stay Packages are a great option for the 10 run challenge. Winners would get a nice room, breakfast and 2 days of riding for only $59.00.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Here's a peak at our email blast:

Whiteface 10 run challenge

We are so confident that we have some of the most challenging terrain of any mountain bike park, we will award 1 free day pass to anyone that can complete 10 runs in 1 day at the Whiteface Mountain Bike Park.

Sounds easy huh? Can you handle 10 runs at Whiteface? Can your bike?

Drainage, new features and berms have been added to almost all of our trails so far this season. If you haven’t been to Whiteface yet this year you may not recognize a few of the trails.

Pictured below is our most recent work on the Fire Swamp. There was this crazy rock squeeze that was doable, but would slow you down too much. Now just flow right over the old rock squeeze:

The Cliffs of Insanity looks more like this now:
(thanks to Peter Mills berm work)

No shortage of rocks when fixing the trails:

Tools of the trade:

Some of our trails look impossible to tame but our trail crew is doing an amazing job:

Our dual slalom course will be finished this week. DS Race on Thursday July29 $10.00 registration fee:

See ya at The Face

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Got any videos of pro/expert caliber riders on those trails? Trying to get an idea of the speed/scale of those features. Can't seem to find any decent videos on PB or youtube. All I can find is like sport/beginner videos with people dragging their brakes down the open runs. That don't really provide any perspective. Really interested in hitting this place up next year.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Thanks Sandwich. That was from last year though. Now that trail, the Cliffs OF Insanity has tons of flow. Stupid rocks and stumps have been removed, holes fixed and berms built on all (most) of the turns. Even the "V" rock is unrecognizable.
That's is 1 reason we are having this contest. So riders can see all the changes we have made this year. Must be over 100 small improvements + some pretty big ones.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We have picture perfect weather for the 10 run challenge:

Good luck to Gravity East racers at Sugarbush this weekend!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Yes we are open 7 days a week. However, Just a reminder that the 10 Run Challenge Event is only on Saturday July 31 and Sunday August 1.
I just finished printing up 50 winners' certificates worth $1,750.00.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Yes we are open 7 days a week. However, Just a reminder that the 10 Run Challenge Event is only on Saturday July 31 and Sunday August 1.
I just finished printing up 50 winners' certificates worth $1,750.00.

props for conflicting with the gravity east race and hour away at sugarbush :thumb:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
What's the better airport to fly into for Whiteface, Burlington or Albany? I've flown into Albany before, seemed decent. Would just have to rent a car this time.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's the better airport to fly into for Whiteface, Burlington or Albany? I've flown into Albany before, seemed decent. Would just have to rent a car this time.
Albany's defiantly bigger. I'd go that route.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Plattsburgh, N.Y. airport is only 45 minutes from Whiteface and I have heard of some super cheap flights from Florida. May be worth checking out.

Full report on the 10 Run Challenge tomorrow.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
did 17 runs in one day at plattekill back in the dark ages...never ridden whiteface but i would assume the lift has to be faster and more reliable than plattekill circa 1999
The gondola at Whiteface goes up almost 2,500 feet in 12 minutes. 17 runs at Plattekill = 7 Whiteface runs. Don't take that wrong because I love riding at Plattekill.

Peter Mills did 10 runs yesterday. Peter said he kept riding the 5 K DH race course at a 10 minute pace. I think a couple of others may have completed 8 runs. I think some of yesterdays riders could of done 10, but were just having too much fun with their friends to keep that pace.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We had a group from Ottawa that tried pretty hard today. 1 winner. Sebastien Bouchard got 11 or 12 runs in. Tiffen could have done it too, but she had some mechanical issues after the 1st or 2nd run.
We had 15 riders at the end of today on our 3:30 group run. That was a blast. The whole weekend was epic!