Quantcast

Whiteface 5 K DH official thread

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
This year 5 K DH is on 8-29 & 8-30-09. Registration will be ready, complete with itinerary, rules, cash purse, etc. by Monday July 20th.

The 1st place prize for pro men this year will be $2,000.00 cash.

Be prepared for an 8 minute + dh race run. Okay a few may break 8 minutes, but only 7 racers did last year. The course will be decided by next Monday and it will be different, and more challenging than last years course that had a winning time of 7.34.2.

This page has been created just for this race and will be updated as often as necessary. The dual slalom information will be available shortly.:
http://www.downhillmike.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=124

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
No service road start this year. We even re named that trail Drifting Terror.

We are leaning towards the 2007 course (that's what is outlined on the 5 k dh page on our site).

We want to use some other trails but that would make our course even longer. With other races having winning times under 3 minutes and all, not sure if racers would want a 9 to 10 minute dh course. Whatever course we use, we will have an open chainless race at the end of the day to show the course is all downhill.

Some of the top pros want us to use trail # 26 Cliffs of Insanity (the trail formerly known as The ledges). That would be insane! 27 to 26 and back to 27 would be the most challenging course I can think of. If we did that and added the single-track with the stream crossing, the course would be 9 to 10 minutes for the fastest pros, and would showcase a crazy amount of super technical, Whiteface single-track.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My vote would be for 27 down to 4 to 22 to 5 to 13 to 9 and out. Gives you the best combination of out in the open fast stuff, technical singletrack, steep sections, and loam at the bottom. A nice booter before the finish line for good measure.

I think 26 is a little bit too technical for a race course, but maybe for the pro/exp line. IMHO it would be a sin to not include the section of 27 that goes through the woods...that is one of my all time favorite sections of trail.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Plenty of campsites within 2 miles of Whiteface. Not sure of the price? All campgrounds are listed on our website.

This one is only 100 yards from the entrance to Whiteface:

The best deal is a bike n stay at $59.00 that includes your lift ticket. If you do that for 2 nights, your lift tickets for Friday and Saturday are already paid for. Then just 25 bucks to race the dh. That is based on double occupancy, but bring a friend. Kind of like a regular price motel, with free lift tickets.

Last edited:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
run the 06 /07. that is an awesome run. just give those banged out hooker sections some love.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Best race and course in the Northeast bar none! Please please please use the 06/07 race course. That mach 50 start/straightaway and the following upper woods section used in those previous 5K races were what made it so fun.

I'm not saying that the 08 course wasn't good, but that old course is to this day the funnest course I've ever raced on.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
As with other people, please keep the 2007 course, with maybe some cool little additions. I hope to make it up there again.:thumb:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Best race and course in the Northeast bar none! Please please please use the 06/07 race course. That mach 50 start/straightaway and the following upper woods section used in those previous 5K races were what made it so fun.

I'm not saying that the 08 course wasn't good, but that old course is to this day the funnest course I've ever raced on.
No worries dude. I fully agree. The 50 mph start to the single-track on 27
(re- named to Evil Empire) rules! We changed it last year because the traverse across the ski runs was eroding badly. That section looks way better this year.
I do want 1 course for all classes. We had a beginner course last year and only a few raced in beginner class.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
No worries dude. I fully agree. The 50 mph start to the single-track on 27
(re- named to Evil Empire) rules! We changed it last year because the traverse across the ski runs was eroding badly. That section looks way better this year.
I do want 1 course for all classes. We had a beginner course last year and only a few raced in beginner class.
I fully agree that 1 course would be ideal. I know that in the past it has caused trouble from a timing/coordination standpoint to have beginners go down a separate course. Fitness and length aside, the only area I could see really causing a challenge for true beginners is that first woods section through to the mid station. Myself and some teammates rode the old course during last years 5K and that singletrack was super gnarly now. It keeps on getting deeper with bigger nastier holes and rocks :thumb:. I'm not sure how your going to address that issue though, but I REALLY hope you guys decide on the old course.

Also, to anyone within a day or two driving distance of this race. You need to get to this!

BTW Mike, I know this doesn't pertain to myself, but are there any plans of getting this race to be a UCI points race?