Quantcast

wHITEFACE

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I went. I was waiting for DHMike to post the photos that were shot by the canucks we met.

A good time as usual, but not a very good turnout. No doubt more people would have made the trek if it weren't for the weather, but the rain stopped shortly before we set up camp, and didn't start until we had taken the tent down, so it ended up not being too bad. Massive humidity but otherwise good weather caused steamy goggles and plenty of stops to put them on or off. Big, sloppy trails made for great riding. A little bit greasy but Whiteface puts so many other mountains to shame. We took two 20minute breaks and managed 6 runs, missing the last one due to fatigue. That's about a run an hour, between lifts, riding, and stopping to unclench/defog.

Was a good time, for sure.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
not sure, exactly, but probably 65-75 with serious humidity. Up at the top it gets/was cooler, but not by as much as I was hoping and thinking. Usually when I'm up there, I get the chills at the top and am sweating at the bottom. Good gear comes in handy up there.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Where did you camp?

It is funny how 6 runs seems like a slacker day of riding. I don't think I have done more than 7 there in one day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think I did 7 or 8 one year, but that was later in the season and I was more fit. 7 Would have been easily attainable if we did one more lift, and I think the year I got more we did one run just blasting the fireroads. The big problem there is that you can't take half a run...so I was wiped on run 5 but went up for 6 anyways...I could have done another third or so but one run there is like three times diablo or four times highland...it's a killer. Runs are legitimate 20min if you're not at race pace and taking the direct route.

We camped in Mike's backyard, but I think next time I would do the site up the street, since it's so close and I'm not sure Mike allows regular campers...this was kind of a special occasion.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
20 minutes is about my average time too. Looks like 8:11 is my best from race results, geez! I don't know if I am as fast as I used to be. Too much beer and bacon :Alcoholic:

The KOA campsite down the road is nice, you can walk to the cliff jumping/swimming spot.

Did you go there with DW?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah woodrow drove as my lemon is getting squeezed at the moment.

I didn't know it was a KOA, looked like a standard state park affair. Might not be able to cuss as much.

I'm hoping to compete in the race this year...I was able to complete a full run non-stop a few years ago but the endurance isn't quite there yet. Certain sections are so hard- the ledges and the old downhill immediately come to mind.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It depends on how you look at it. The true beginner/intermediate stuff starts halfway up and you have to take a shuttle to get there. I've never done that so I can't comment on the shuttle time, but I think it's like every 20 or 30 minutes. I would imagine you'd probably still have a 10 or 20 minute run as a beginner if you're not hauling down the trails. They get easier towards the bottom but as a beginner I had to stop quite a bit (ride a section, stretch, ride, repeat), whereas now I'm more skilled/fit/dumb and can ride full runs at other mountains. I'd be willing to bet that you could get 8-10 shuttles on the lower mountain if you're going strong. They may run the bus longer than the lift too...the day was only 10-4 vs. 9-5 at many other places.

That being said, if you're more intermediate than beginner (as in you can ride tougher trails, albeit slower) then you'll probably spend at least 30 minutes getting down the mountain. First time we were there I think we got 5 runs in. The stuff up at the top is extremely technical and it doesn't let up until you get to like the pump track area. I think my first run ever at the mountain was like 45 minutes, no foolin. There are SO MANY lines to choose from an memorize...sections just keep coming.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have only stayed at the KOA and another place farther down the road near the Mermorial Highway.

The KOA was less than pleased with our ability make noise and drink like true Delta House Racing guys until the birds were chirping.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
20 minutes is about my average time too. Looks like 8:11 is my best from race results, geez! I don't know if I am as fast as I used to be. Too much beer and bacon :Alcoholic:

The KOA campsite down the road is nice, you can walk to the cliff jumping/swimming spot.

Did you go there with DW?
wha???? Even I hit the 10 minute mark in the 2007 race (when I was faster, though...:blink:)

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
With the recent landscaping on the pump track the new lines show up much better:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm guessing they'll pass right by it. The track is located off a service road underneath the lift. I'm not sure it's even part of any ski run. DH mike will know better, but they're investing a lot of time and effort into it, so I doubt it's going to be destroyed.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The pump track is off of the ski trail network. Next year we plan on doubling the size of our pump track, by making it twice as long.
I am waiting for a couple of discs with tons of pictures and several minutes of video from our opening weekend.
As soon as I get the disc a full picture thread will follow on the original Discover Whiteface Weekend post.

Last edited: