Quantcast

Whitetail for Mtn Biking this year!?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
What about another resort, erm, say, Massanutten?
Whitetail is a great location for Baltimore/DC and Central PA day trips........can get there in 1 hour +- 15 minutes, Massanutten is a 3 plus hour trip...

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
What about another resort, erm, say, Massanutten?
Massanutten has nearly the same skewed view of mtb's as Whitetail does. They will allow you to ride some xc on their trails I believe, but aside from the one-time-a-season Massanutten dh race, it was my understanding a few years ago that they have no other vested interest in doing anything related to dh riding/racing. As a resort they have so many other things to offer and make money from that a true mtb program that only turns small revenue means nothing to them.

Hmm, maybe Chop can explain more........Chop, where ya at buddy?!?!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Massanutten has nearly the same skewed view of mtb's as Whitetail does.
Whitetail doesn't have skewed view. They got bought out in late 1999
and the new company used 2000 to see if the resort could make money doing mtb......they used a poor business plan and ended up loosing money....

With a good business plan Whitetail could have a positive mtb program.......

Also, Whitetail has a much faster/ higher capacity Lift and more elavation than Massanutten.....

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
So should we pitch them a real business plan for mountain biking? Do they run the lifts in the summer already for "scenic chairlift rides" or whatever? Gotta figure out what their current costs and staff are before we can begin our scheming.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Whitetail doesn't have skewed view.

With a good business plan Whitetail could have a positive mtb program.......QUOTE]

By skewed view, I mean they are only seeing the past, not looking at what could happen with a good business strategy/plan. The taste that the parent company has in it's mouth is from that last season and it wasn't a good one. They need to be convinced that it's a profitable and a suitable interest. Not saying they'll never go for it, just saying they need to be shown that it can work given a sound plan. Trust me, it's something we had to overcome when I was still at Snowshoe and a group of us started the whole bike park planning in the winter of '03.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Massanutten has nearly the same skewed view of mtb's as Whitetail does. They will allow you to ride some xc on their trails I believe, but aside from the one-time-a-season Massanutten dh race, it was my understanding a few years ago that they have no other vested interest in doing anything related to dh riding/racing. As a resort they have so many other things to offer and make money from that a true mtb program that only turns small revenue means nothing to them.

Hmm, maybe Chop can explain more........Chop, where ya at buddy?!?!
You pretty much covered it all, Jeremy. Basically Massanutten doesn't see a need or have the desire to have a dh program. Reason being is that they are truly a four season resort and the mountain stays full all year long. When I worked at another Va ski resort we were at full capacity about 2-3 weeks a year. They needed a revenue generator but Massanutten doesn't. You can certainly email or call Massunutten but I think you will be wasting their time as well as yours.

Before everyone starts throwing out numbers and money figures give Wintergreen a call and see how their dh program is doing. It is just as close to the D.C. area as Massunutten, they actually want riders and they have a trail system that was built by the same people building Snowshoe's trails. What has happened in the past is in the past, the storm has calmed, and the hatchet is buried. I'm pretty sure they have changed management a few times in the Out Of Bounds area and may be open to a revival of their dh program. I would suggest that everyone contact them and see what is up.

Hope to see you guys at Massanutten on May 12th for the race.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Wintergreen just doesn't have the vert or the trails. Given 3 hrs to get to WG from DC vs 4 hrs to Diablo or Snowshoe, I'll spend the extra 60-90 minutes to get to world class riding.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Wintergreen just doesn't have the vert or the trails. Given 3 hrs to get to WG from DC vs 4 hrs to Diablo or Snowshoe, I'll spend the extra 60-90 minutes to get to world class riding.
Totally agree with you. The only reason I brought that up was because Massanutten was brought up. Couldn't understand why someone would want to try and start a mtb park at a resort when there is a resort just as close that already has one that nobody uses. My point is that it would be easier to revive Wintergreens than to start a new one.