Quantcast

Whitetail has scheduled a snow race

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
good to see whitetail is having something else that deals with bikes...maybe they'll eventually open back up in a year or two. It's local so I'll be there.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
whitetail mountain biking....that was fun. I remember going 55 mph on my specialized s-works HT with my mag 21 rockshock. Msisle Dad, i think I went on a trip you had out of your shop back in 96 or 97. Carlos Acaron won the Huffy Toss Contest. was that you?

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
VDfree said:
whitetail mountain biking....that was fun. I remember going 55 mph on my specialized s-works HT with my mag 21 rockshock. Msisle Dad, i think I went on a trip you had out of your shop back in 96 or 97. Carlos Acaron won the Huffy Toss Contest. was that you?

Not me, I think the 1st time we went to whitetail was 1999

Gunther

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
sweet, there's a lot more DH'ers now around here.
Whitetail could be packed every weekend. I'm going
to talk with Filz he had some contacts up there and
see if they will open the lift.

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
Every time I get my hopes up that Whitetail re-opens, I get crushed. I would imagine that the old trails need alot of work.
I really don't see it happening. But, if Filz can get it done, sheeet, 45 mins from my house, season pass here I come.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
If they did one DH race I'd be stoked, although it wouldn't be long they've def. got some rocky sections..If there is someone that can make it happen I'd be more than happy to help.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I still go to Whitetail...I just bring fishing rods instead of bikes. There is a small public lake on the left right before you get there that is fun to fish. I chase tiger muskie these days but got a 5.6# 22 1/2" chunk largemouth last time out on a big willow-bladed muskie inline spinner! Fish on!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
they "had" one a couple of years ago. Me, little Adam and Zach were the only ones who showed up so they cancelled it... I don't think there was really any snow there either.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
DßR said:
they "had" one a couple of years ago. Me, little Adam and Zach were the only ones who showed up so they cancelled it... I don't think there was really any snow there either.

I remember that weekend. For some reason I couldn't make it :(

I'll try to go this year, maybe if we get a big enough turn out, they won't cancel!

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
went to the one last year with almostheaven, and there were only like 3 other people there and we didn't even see them we heard about them being there on the forum!! but hopefully they will!! if they do i'll be there.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
banche said:
went to the one last year with almostheaven, and there were only like 3 other people there and we didn't even see them we heard about them being there on the forum!! but hopefully they will!! if they do i'll be there.

Hope to see you there!

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
I'll be there and trying to bring some people that aren't internet savvy.

Whats the best tire size for the snow? I was just going to bring my hardtail, rear brake only and switch out the slicks with some knobbies. Odds are the course will be slush or maybe even mud if this weather keeps up..

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Who's going? Anybody interested in sharing a hotel room Friday night? I think that practice starts at 7:30 am and I'm pretty sure I don't want to get up at 4:00 to drive up there.

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
I have never heard of a snow race. Can someone give me an idea of what this race is like.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
JYETI said:
I have never heard of a snow race. Can someone give me an idea of what this race is like.

I can't find much more info than has already been posted in this thread but I think it is basically a dual slalom race on snow. Anybody have anymore details? I read somewhere that practice starts at 7:30 am and the race is at 10. Is this right? I can't seem to load the racer's edge website anymore.

I'm pretty certain that I'm going but I'm still not sure. I'd have to wake up awfully early to get there for practice. It might be more fun to get up later and ride somewhere else instead.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Its either two or four at a time? Is anyone else boarding/skiing afterwards, I'm taking my board in case I feel like hitting the park.

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
Just a gate slalom or will there be jumps in the course? hmmmm ?'s?'s It might be more fun to just sleep in and just ride somewhere else.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
RACE INFO!!!! cut and paste from http://www.skiwhitetail.com/springfest.htm

Mountain Bike Slalom
March 4, 2006 at 10:00 am

Bike Riders (2-wheels, pedal power) race each other down Stalker.
Each rider receives 2 runs. Who can make it to the finish line without crashing?

Registration
Where: Marketplace
When: 7:45 am-9:15 am
Price: $10.00 for Mountain Bike Race or $15.00 for
Bump and Mountain Bike Slalom Race

Requirements:
Must have a helmet
Must be 10 years or older
Must provide own bike

I checked the slope map and Stalker is a Blue run (medium difficulty ski slope)

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Reguardless of conditions, this event should be a lot of fun! It will be great to see everyone from the scene and show Whitetail some real mountain biker support! See everyone this Saturday!

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
There will definately be gates. Most likely red and blue. As for jumps and berms, I don't have that answer but will be going up this afternnon for a meeting and will find out more. There will definately be a large gathering of heads looking for a little "pre-season charge" Hope to see you there!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Fun race! It sure was tough getting down the hill in one piece with any kind of speed. I have lots of pictures. I'll try to post them up on Monday.