Quantcast

Who been riding there current bike the longest?

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Just curious how long are you guys riding your bikes before you get a new bike. I been riding mine a little over three years. I got a feeling it might be time for a new bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
DH bikes 2-3 years. My trailbike is 10 years old. Though if you are handy with ebay and didn't pay retail for your bike the best price to time ratio has been 1 year in my experiance.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
bought my DH bike used, and I've ridden it for two seasons now (though this season barely counts as I now have a little monkey to take care of and only got out about 6x DH).

my xc/trail bike is now completing its 6th season. of course, not much on it is original. even the chainstays were replaced.

DH bike: 08 Demo 8
XC bike: 05 Enduro

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I rode my last DH bike (an original V-10) from 2002 - 2011. It is a SOLID frame though, so with some bearing replacements it was good as new every time.

Just switched over to a 2009 M6 :drool:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Bought my DH bike in april 2009, going into it's 4th season next year.

Frame/post/cranks/stem/brakes/wheels/mech&cassette(!) all unchanged I think. Though I had to get a warranty replacement for the swingarm a few months ago.

(2009 Wilson/Thomson/Saint/Hope/Formula Ones/823 on pro2s/dura-ace)

riding a 2007 Ancillotti Thomaso, only original part is the seatpost and wheels (bulbs and the old grey 721's!)

have it stripped ready for yet another rebuild and il be out on that bike twice a week for most of the year.

small bike is only 18months old. grand for a while yet.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
been riding the same bike since 1992, it's on it's 8th frame, 7th fork and every part has been replaced more than once.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
been riding the same bike since 1992, it's on it's 8th frame, 7th fork and every part has been replaced more than once.
So in other words, you have had 8 bikes since 1992?
How would one define a "bike"? Most would say it is the frame. Who knows though.
Is it the sum of the parts?

So if I have a bike and I change every part but the frame... is it a new bike? lets say I then change the frame a month later? Is it a new bike now?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How would one define a "bike"? Most would say it is the frame. Who knows though.
Is it the sum of the parts?

So if I have a bike and I change every part but the frame... is it a new bike? lets say I then change the frame a month later? Is it a new bike now?
I define bike as the frame. At least in this case.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My thought as well...

Someone asks what bike you ride, you dont say "the 888 one" or "the 8in Saint rotor"
you say the frame name.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I try to start each year fresh. The only bike I have kept more than a year was my gary fisher marlin hardtail. bought it when I was like 10.. Paid for it all myself. its a great do everything bike. I just havent been able to get rid of it
but dirtjumpers, dh and my other bikes are sold at the end of each year

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got my 2005 Cannondale Prophet in the summer of 2005 and it has been my only mtn bike. Besides the drive train I've replaced the brakes, handle bar, rear shock, and rear wheel. The cranks, headset, BB, pivots, stem, Lefty, shifters, seat post, and even the seat are original and with the exception o the Lefty have never been serviced (although, I should get some new cranks and seat). Actually, the little and big rings are original too. The former because it sees so little use and the latter because it isn't straight or have many teeth left.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I try to start each year fresh. The only bike I have kept more than a year was my gary fisher marlin hardtail. bought it when I was like 10.. Paid for it all myself. its a great do everything bike. I just havent been able to get rid of it
but dirtjumpers, dh and my other bikes are sold at the end of each year
So you're like 13? Damn! I wish i was rocking a new rig every year, when i was that young. Sh**, I wish i could swing a new rig every year now.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No dude! just a l'il joke! ;)

I've had well over 100 (got more than 8 just now)
current DH bike was bought new in 2007 (since we're on the DH forum)
oldest bike I still have and ride is a 1991 Trek
newest is a 2011 BMX

I'll generally keep a bike I really get on well with til it cracks/bends/breaks or is stolen

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got my 2005 Cannondale Prophet in the summer of 2005 and it has been my only mtn bike. Besides the drive train I've replaced the brakes, handle bar, rear shock, and rear wheel. The cranks, headset, BB, pivots, stem, Lefty, shifters, seat post, and even the seat are original and with the exception o the Lefty have never been serviced (although, I should get some new cranks and seat). Actually, the little and big rings are original too. The former because it sees so little use and the latter because it isn't straight or have many teeth left.
My first bike was a 1991 Schwinn Impact Pro that didn't get any upgrades. I kept it till 1996 when I got a Gary Fisher Joshua. Got a warranty frame around 2000 and replaced everything on it and rode it till 2005. So in 21 years of biking I've only owned three mtn bikes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think I got my current DH bike in 2006. It was pretty well used when I got it, though. I don't ride it much anymore, but it looks insanely beat (Mountain Cycle 9.5). I think the previous owner painted it with truck bed liner or something...then covered up where it (easily) scraped off with marker and housepaint.
AM bike is a Prophet bought in 2006 as well.
XC bike (which I use the most by far) is a Kona hardtail from 2001. I bought it used maybe 5 years ago. None of the parts were original when I bought it and the only thing I have kept on it since then is the hubs (wore through the brake track, so I had to get new rims), headset and seatpost.
Oldest bike is a trek I use to ride to work and school. I think it's from '97 or '98. It was my dad's and now mine. Pretty beat, but it sees only short rides.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
I've had my Kona Scab since about 2003. It's built up as downhill/free-ride hard tail but I do pretty much everything on it. I've pretty much replaced all of the parts on it, but with the massive gusset at the head tube, should still keep on trucking for a long time. :thumb: