Quantcast

Who do you bank with?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I use Washington Mutual and have had no problems, for my mortgage & car loans I use my local credit union as they offered the best interest rates.

My worst experience with a bank was USBank - I had been banking with them for 15 years before their policies pissed me off. Two year ago I still owed $14,000.00 on a $100,000.00 business line of credit. When I closed the business I asked the bank if the terms of the loan would change - I was told no. I had opened the line of credit in the early 90s and had never missed a payment and never had a late payment. The payments where automatically withdrawn from my business account. As the balance went down so did my payments - in 2005 the bank changed the terms of the loan from prime plus 1% to 5.9% plus whatever prime interest was. This was legal and I have no problem it.

What pissed me off was when they told me that I was a risk because I had too much unsecured open credit available. They offered to close the line of credit and restructure it into an unsecured 48 month loan. I said fine, I didn't need the line of credit anymore. When I got to the bank & read the terms I found out that they were offering the unsecured loan at 21.9%!!! Why? Because it was a high risk unsecured signature loan. I thought bull **** - they where trying to rope me into a more lucrative loan that would make the bank even more money!!! The whole deal was really offensive. I ended up taking some proceeds from the sale of my house and just paying the loan off.

Which I should have done anyway...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Yeah, I've heard bad things about USBank too, and we have those here. This whole thing has just been a PITA and seriously, none of the fckers taht I have talked to are straight on their policies. Everyone has told me something different and so far only one person has been right.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Both of the ones I belong to do. I have my paycheck direct deposited to 2 different credit unions, and have online bill pay setup at one. No more buying stamps and envelops and relying on the USPS. Online bill paying is one of the best things ever.

I use the credit union debit cards for at least 90% of my purchases, and if I need cash, I just get $60 back at the grocery store. Once in a while, if i really need cash for something, I just pay the $2 fee at another bank's ATM. I only have to do this maybe 2-3 times a year.

Also, my credit union has better rates than most banks and gave an extra 1/2 % off the auto loan because I make the payment to them electronically.
I do exactly the same thing. Ever since I discovered the wonderful world of credit unions, I've been giving a big FU to banks. All banks suck. Every one of them.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I use bank of america, they have pissed me off a couple times but I have had the account forever so who cares.

I also have two accounts with onpoint credit union (formerly called portland teachers CU)...they are really nice to work with but the only reason I even have the accounts is because it was a stipulation of my car loan (they had the best rates at the time).

However, after working with them and seeing how they fix problems I am really really tempted to ditch BOFA completely and go with a local credit union. However, I travel a lot and the lack of locations is a major PITA.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I use bank of america, they have pissed me off a couple times but I have had the account forever so who cares.

I also have two accounts with onpoint credit union (formerly called portland teachers CU)...they are really nice to work with but the only reason I even have the accounts is because it was a stipulation of my car loan (they had the best rates at the time).

However, after working with them and seeing how they fix problems I am really really tempted to ditch BOFA completely and go with a local credit union. However, I travel a lot and the lack of locations is a major PITA.
Don't most CUs offer fee refunds for ATMs?

Local (checking/small savings) - 1st Bank of Colorado.

Savings account with kicka$$ interest rate - INGdirect.com
I have a local checking account, was using PayPal for about $5K in miscellaneous savings, since they're paying over 5% on the average, but it's uninsured and based on risky investments, so I'm planning to move it from PayPal to ING's Orange account - they're FDIC insured, and we can all trust the government, right? :think:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I bank with BankNorth and a small local. I went with BankNorth because of no fees for anything. I get no interest, but I'm not losing money from fees.

The small local I went with does the same thing. I don't have an ATM card with the small local, but I only use it for my truck expenses.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I bank with BankNorth and a small local. I went with BankNorth because of no fees for anything. I get no interest, but I'm not losing money from fees.

The small local I went with does the same thing. I don't have an ATM card with the small local, but I only use it for my truck expenses.
No interest? :crazy:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I've got 5 or so accounts at Wachovia. I do all my personal and business banking there. Never had a problem. I opened my first account at First union at home before I went to college, and have never had a problem finding an ATM.

Now there is a branch 2 blocks from my apartment, and if I ever have a problem, they actually know who I am too. Probably because I've been there so many times opening accounts!

(Slight spam: they also have a kick a$$ brokerage firm, which has almost nothing to do with the general bank)