Quantcast

who does project management?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I need some suggestions on managing the projects/clients we have.

we have found that computer based management systems don't work for us. either an employee can't log in or access the materials, finds the layout to hard to navigate or they simply just don't take time out to add/update the projects.

I found a giant white board and have most of our clients projects written on it along w/ what employee is working on what part of said project. however, there isn't the room for all the detail I need.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to better manage our projects/clients?

Idealy a computer system is best but as stated, it doesn't work for us. a giant visual board works great but we don't have the room for 15 plus boards (one for each client) that would allow for full detail.

thanks.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
We have moved over to share point services from Microsoft and I love it. We have integrated our SPS (share point server) with a MS Project server as well so I can keep track of who is working on what. Great for document management as well.

Hope that helps

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
When I was a Project Manger, I used a combination of things....

-A whiteboard like you are doing
-Microsoft Project
-I also put up a "chart" of sorts that I had made up in Excel on the company network. This did two things: Anyone could see the status of any project at any time without having to use MS Project. #2 was that they would often update me as things moved along....to make sure that the "chart" on the network was updated so that they didn't look like slackers. this helped to make my job easier...

FWIW

jeb4

I

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
pnj said:
either an employee can't log in or access the materials, finds the layout to hard to navigate or they simply just don't take time out to add/update the projects.
You need new employees...

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
MancilG said:
We have moved over to share point services from Microsoft and I love it. We have integrated our SPS (share point server) with a MS Project server as well so I can keep track of who is working on what. Great for document management as well.

Hope that helps
I second this suggestion.

And for reference, the "viewer" for Ms Project Server is a simple ActiveX. You can access the web interface with Internet Explorer pretty easily to enter your time (usefull for tech working in the field). The project manager only have to approve the submitted time to keep track of who's doing what and plan the resources needs accordingly. For the "management" part, we use Project Pro w/ a centralised server which also host SharePointServices. This way, we have a single documentation repository. Even the helpdesk use this repository.

The reporting and features of Project Pro are nearly complete for any certified "project manager". At least, nice enough to present to any higher level director.

Just my 0.02$, but I'm just a senior sysadmin of the project team for the biggest financial institution of Canada... not even a project manager! My current assignment is to merge 3800 users over 6 NT domain in a single Active Directory structure.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
riderx said:
You need new employees...
I'd agree with that.

Sounds like most of your issues stem from lack of training and lack of enforcement of that training.

If the employees were trained well, they'd be able to log in (unless it's an IT issue in which case your IT group needs to get on the ball - login issues are 99.9% of the time very simple), know how to use the application, and if the training were enforced, they'd be deligent about updates and additional projects.

Seems silly to ditch the idea of a good software solution simply because employees aren't properly trained or disciplined.