Quantcast

Who else ate bacon today?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How can bacon possibly be too salty? I mean, it's salted pork (also smoked). Maybe you are using inferior american bacon - try something other than Oscar Meyer. Niman Ranch and Hobbs are my faves, but any decent butcher or meat counter should have a house bacon that rocks over the packaged crap. You also get less nitrates and other nasty stuff.

Pancetta is the same thing without the smoke. It seems fancy 'cuz it's Italian and rolled up.

Canadian bacon is from the loin rather than the flank or back, so it has less fat. Personally I think you insulted your carbonara by using Canadian bacon. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
How can bacon possibly be too salty? I mean, it's salted pork (also smoked). Maybe you are using inferior american bacon - try something other than Oscar Meyer. Niman Ranch and Hobbs are my faves, but any decent butcher or meat counter should have a house bacon that rocks over the packaged crap. You also get less nitrates and other nasty stuff.
I absolutely agree that you *can* find decent 'Merikan bacon. It just shouldn't be the exception - and cost a friggin' arm and a leg.

We usually get deli bacon because it is quite a bit better than the packaged stuff.

Pancetta is the same thing without the smoke. It seems fancy 'cuz it's Italian and rolled up.
Naw - there's more to it than that. Must be something the Italian pigs are eating..... :drool:

Canadian bacon is from the loin rather than the flank or back, so it has less fat. Personally I think you insulted your carbonara by using Canadian bacon. :D
:o: It was the only bacon we had.

Anyone for some lardo? :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
:drool:
SkaredShtles said:
Naw - there's more to it than that. Must be something the Italian pigs are eating..... :drool:
No seriously, it's prepared pretty much the same way just no smoke (as in actual smoke or smoke flavor like they put in some of the overly processed crap). You can usually see black pepper rolled up in there but regular bacon sometimes gets a pepper rub. I like the smokiness of thick cut bacon in my carbonara - I buy it in small slabs and cut my own - but pancetta is great for dishes where you don't want the smoke.

And hell yeah, lardo is awesome. I had a thin-crust pizza topped with lardo and shaved parm one time, the lardo melted before the pizza got to the table...oh man it was soooo good. :thumb: :drool:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'm totally with SkaredShtles on this one. The pic he posted looks great. Mmmm. Whenever I get bacon in the US it's always fried to death. It shouldn't be crunchy! And it should be 80% meat at least!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Changleen said:
I'm totally with SkaredShtles on this one. The pic he posted looks great. Mmmm. Whenever I get bacon in the US it's always fried to death. It shouldn't be crunchy! And it should be 80% meat at least!
Dude, you should just order ham or Canadian bacon next time. Less fat, less crunch.

But just so you know, one reason it's usually cooked so much is get rid of a lot of the fat. I don't know about 80% lean, but if you cook it enough it loses a lot of the fat that you see when it's raw.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bumping because I ate bacon this morning. It was with egg and cheese on an english muffin. Mmmm.....

There was also an extra bacon, egg, and cheese on a roll that no one at work claimed, so I ate that too. That's what I call the "Thursday morning double bacon, egg and cheese whammy."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
I had biscuits with sausage gravy last night topped with some sunnyside up eggs...... is that close enough?
No. It's not an "other white meat" thread. :eviltongu

Not that I don't love me some biscuits and gravy.

BTW, I had a pizza with bacon and onions the other night. Damn that's a good combo.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
biscuits with sausage gravy
Dang, I just remembered that last weekend I had biscuits and gravy that came in a huge soup bowl!! Two big biscuits completely covered in heart-stopping gravy...

It looked like southern white trash matzah ball soup!! :p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
Dang, I just remembered that last weekend I had biscuits and gravy that came in a huge soup bowl!! Two big biscuits completely covered in heart-stopping gravy...

It looked like southern white trash matzah ball soup!! :p
I know now why biscuits and gravy is so ubiquitous - it's cheap, fast, and tasty. :drool:

I wonder what biscuits and gravy made with bacon would be like. :think:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
I know now why biscuits and gravy is so ubiquitous - it's cheap, fast, and tasty. :drool:

I wonder what biscuits and gravy made with bacon would be like. :think:
All your posts in this thread and you still have not eaten any bacon. Not only are you a bacon snob, you're also a bacon poser.

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
With all these bacon lovers, I feel compelled to share one of my favorite applications... make a pound of bacon in a skillet, set it aside. Make hamburgers and cook them in the skillet, then top liberally with bacon. I call it the boss burger, cause it really shows your heart who's boss.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
well i might as well chime in.
forget about back bacon it stinks unless it's BBQ'd.
Shneiders thin cut in Toronto can not be beat. It's everywhere.
The fat is where it's at for flavour.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
also it must be done in the oven at 330 degrees turned once like a great steak. The more you use the better the flavour. No non stick pans. Frying on a stove kills it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
steve45 said:
munching down some now, damn its good, bacon, beans, sausages, eggs and couple of slices of toast, MMmmmm Fryup.
What about the baked tomatoes and mushrooms? :think:

I had bacon this morning. Got up a little early and made my boys & I bacon, eggs, and pancakes. :thumb:

And the bacon was cooked, but not nuked crispy. :p