Quantcast

Who else has done a full gut and remodel?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We are in the middle of one now.
Told wifey a few months ago that whatever estimate she had in mind, double it. And whatever timeframe she had in mind, double it.

Now that we are into it, both are proving to be 100% correct.

Now, I cannot use this as a 'Told You So', unless i don't ever want to live in this new home...buuuutttt.....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
How do the timeline and budget compare to what the highest priced contractor quoted you?

We are constantly told we're wicked expensive because our proposals are honest and realistic. Most people take low quotes because that's what they want to hear/believe but ultimately have a **** experience as a result.

In the end they usually end up paying the same or more but with the added stress of struggling with budget and timing. I laugh at those people.

We did it with an 1840s Greek Revival farmhouse. Gutted, rebuilt, added on, you name it. If I had to do it again I'd put a house trailer on site and live in it while work was in progress. Most work was T&M on a handshake. The one contract was a PITA.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
we already did the demo ourselves. took everything out, kitchen, bathrooms, all walls down to the rafters/exterior. it is what i call a 'standing scraper'.
This was the only way to get into a house here in jackson for under $750K or so.
We are not living in it for most of the remodel. Hopefully.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I know we are eventually going to reno if we stay at the place we just bought. My wife works for a construction company, so that helps.

Like Dan-O mentioned, most people don't have a clue as to what things cost, so they just take the low bid (even if it's a not even possible, ridiculously low bid) then bitch when the budget gets blown out of the water.

To catch a contractor is a funny show.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have renovated two apartments fun for the most parts but the dust is a killer. We had to live in it. I love to be able to make it the way I like it but if I had the money I would do little to nothing.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
this place was so disgusting, there was 1/2 an inch of dust UNDER the carpets.
I have to say, though, playing with sawzalls and Hilti hammer drills is fun.
And some sledge-hammering...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
We are in the middle of one now.
Told wifey a few months ago that whatever estimate she had in mind, double it. And whatever timeframe she had in mind, double it.

Now that we are into it, both are proving to be 100% correct.

Now, I cannot use this as a 'Told You So', unless i don't ever want to live in this new home...buuuutttt.....
does moving into a unfinished house count because the builder was a incompetent piece of sh!t count?

if the answer is yes...then twice.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
does moving into a unfinished house count because the builder was a incompetent piece of sh!t count?

if the answer is yes...then twice.
Talked to some locals recently who got it really good. The contractor had taken it a step further putting in eletric outlets that were only decoration and a huge rear of the house opening that was totally unsafe. This was in an apartment value at more then a million dollars not sure why people don't do more due diligence before they buy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Talked to some locals recently who got it really good. The contractor had taken it a step further putting in eletric outlets that were only decoration and a huge rear of the house opening that was totally unsafe. This was in an apartment value at more then a million dollars not sure why people don't do more due diligence before they buy.
the guy who built my parents house in nashville forgot the 10 feet they had added to the kitchen when they poured the foundation.

he was also their fvcking neighbor.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Luckily my old man did remodeling for a living for a while, so he did the house I grew up in himself. I believe they sold it for 3+ times what they paid, too....

Being in my house for 4 years now, I'm going to be looking to do some stuff myself, so I've been trying to learn everything I could from him over the years. Can't see a complete gut/remodel on a house built in 1996 though...