Quantcast

Who else is off for tomorrow's holiday?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's Veteran's Day.

I'm off from my 9-5 job, but I'm going to be working on my consulting job all day. So I'm off from going into the office, but I'll be working at home all day.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm working tomorrow, but my direct deposit hit today instead of tomorrow because of the holiday. That was a nice surprise! :)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm off. I'm probably going to work on bikes to get the ready for the my weekend camping trip. I'm putting new brakes on my wife's bike and I'm going to try to track down so mysterious noises on my bike. It's either the bottom bracket or those infernal pedal inserts truvativ instists on using. Hopefully I can fix it. I'm tired of it creaking Friday night me and the wife are off to see Ben Folds with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Should be a good show.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
N8 said:
I called Empyrean and ordered some info from them. They are pretty pricey for for this market... $175-$250/s_ft which is more than a site built home.
Yeah, that was my impression too. One of their selling points seems to be the cost effectiveness of modern pre-fab but I'm not quite convinced. But whatever, I like the house designs and I'm guessing it would be hard to get a custom modern house for those prices. But I'm a total novice in this area and I'm not even a homeowner at the moment but looking for a more appealing alternative to the drab McMansion cookie cutter houses or bullsh*t condos that dominate most of this area.

I'll give you a full report about the seminar afterwards.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DamienC said:
Yeah, that was my impression too. One of their selling points seems to be the cost effectiveness of modern pre-fab but I'm not quite convinced. But whatever, I like the house designs and I'm guessing it would be hard to get a custom modern house for those prices. But I'm a total novice in this area and I'm not even a homeowner at the moment but looking for a more appealing alternative to the drab McMansion cookie cutter houses or bullsh*t condos that dominate most of this area.

I'll give you a full report about the seminar afterwards.

Cool, thx!

Seems to me that these modular homes should be at least as cheap to build as stick built. I know there is a lot of lumber wasted on site built homes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DamienC said:
But whatever, I like the house designs and I'm guessing it would be hard to get a custom modern house for those prices. But I'm a total novice in this area and I'm not even a homeowner at the moment but looking for a more appealing alternative to the drab McMansion cookie cutter houses or bullsh*t condos that dominate most of this area.
don't discuss the unattractiveness of garage doors here. :D

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
N8 said:
Don't you get Boxing Day off as well?
We do at my company, but I'm not 100% as to whether its considered a stat holiday or not. We work Easter Monday and take it off at Christmas too. We don't get jack for new years, though since its on the weekend. The company I work for is cheap as Fk as its privately owned by two dudes...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I think all veteran's should be able to have the day off. They fought for us and our country, I think it's the least companies could do!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Velocity Girl said:
I think all veteran's should be able to have the day off. They fought for us and our country, I think it's the least companies could do!
I agree. My company gives us the day off as a "float" holiday (we can take it when we want) but I think it should be like any other big holiday. The vets should get the day off no matter what the job.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Ciaran said:
I agree. My company gives us the day off as a "float" holiday (we can take it when we want) but I think it should be like any other big holiday. The vets should get the day off no matter what the job.
I completely agree. We get the day off to honor Presidents but not the guys who do their heavy lifting! :rolleyes:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I served in the Air Force

I am at work

In a government location

Noooobody else is here
No govvies

Just the one person who did serve

woe is me

so I've got Pink Floyd cranked and I'm wearing my ratty comfy clothing and I took a reserved parking spot

I am now the Division Manager

at least I can get free food at Golden Corral on Monday.......
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

:)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
No workie for meeeeee!!!

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

I think I'll take MizN8 out for coffee this morning, maybe ride our bikes, then do lunch. My daughter has her B-day party today, so Dad will be shuttling 6th graders between school and her mom's place at 3PM.