Quantcast

Who finds most small DH bikes to big?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Update on some bikes with really low standover:

Iron Horse Aniki Yakuza 24
I htink that this is trhe only one that really matters. If you put a shock from an SGS on it (1/4" shorter I2I with same stroke) you get an ideal small DH bike with good angles. I know a bunch of girls riding them (guys too) who love them. I want one for my gf.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I'm 5'4" and I've ridden a small Specialized Big Hit and it was too big for me. Just never felt right and I hated the way the rear wheel tracked, I had a tough time in rocks. It would get caught up and I couldn't hold my speed through rocks.

My bf got a free small Diamondback Strike frame and built it up for me and I love it. It fits me really well and the bike handles and rides great. The top tube length feels really compact and I'm not super stretched out.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I htink that this is trhe only one that really matters. If you put a shock from an SGS on it (1/4" shorter I2I with same stroke) you get an ideal small DH bike with good angles. I know a bunch of girls riding them (guys too) who love them. I want one for my gf.
I built a custom 7" Yakuza for my gf...

8.75 x 2.75" shock, soft sprung 6" tpc+ 1.5 sherman, lightweight wheels, 6" brake in the rear. on its second configuration I replaced the progressive with a 4-way air shock. bike weighed in right about 35lbs, with almost nothing done to make it stupidly light (ok, there was a 7050 XC bar on it). the geo was spot on, lower bb and slacker HA and standover was great.

unfortunately my gf did not like DH. at all. tried several times, and just hated it, hated it, hated it. so now she doesn't DH anymore, and I have the proto frame hanging in my cubicle. :nopity:

(side note, she was cursing me because "the bike goes too fast". I thought she was joking, but she was, in fact, serious. with the plush suspension she was able to go MUCH faster than on her old hardtail, and so she was blaming the bike... we ride road together now.)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I built a custom 7" Yakuza for my gf...

8.75 x 2.75" shock, soft sprung 6" tpc+ 1.5 sherman, lightweight wheels, 6" brake in the rear. on its second configuration I replaced the progressive with a 4-way air shock. bike weighed in right about 35lbs, with almost nothing done to make it stupidly light (ok, there was a 7050 XC bar on it). the geo was spot on, lower bb and slacker HA and standover was great.

unfortunately my gf did not like DH. at all. tried several times, and just hated it, hated it, hated it. so now she doesn't DH anymore, and I have the proto frame hanging in my cubicle. :nopity:

(side note, she was cursing me because "the bike goes too fast". I thought she was joking, but she was, in fact, serious. with the plush suspension she was able to go MUCH faster than on her old hardtail, and so she was blaming the bike... we ride road together now.)

Nice :thumb: I love it!!! "the bike goes too fast...and it does" :D

Honeyd

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
I am 5'5' 115lbs and ride a small Intense Spider XVP. It's no downhill machine by any means, and I never intended to use it for that purpose, but I finding myself doing more and more downhill type stuff. Anyway, my point here is, if you are in the market for a bike and need a small frame I would recommend Intense. I test rode Turner and their smalls fit well too.

TerraNik

Chimp
Sep 9, 2006
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I guess I'm really lucky - I'm 6ft tall so I have always used a men's bike. Unfortunately that sometimes means that because of my long legs and short upper body I don't feel quite right with the frame so I always have to play around with the stem. And it is also really annoying because they don't make women's bikes in my size to try!! [I ride a 'large' (18-20") bike!!]

So I guess you lil shorties are lucky in some respects!