Quantcast

Who Governs the United States?

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
That depends — do you want the "on paper" answer or the cynical answer?

On paper: The 3 branches equally through a balance of power.

Cynical: Big industries like Oil and Tobacco, plus special interest groups, helped by incumbents looking to keep their meal ticket for another 2-6 years.

I think it's a combination of both. :rolleyes:

T

Tenaciousle0

Alot of a-holes who care more about getting more power for themselves, who don't care about keeping the country great

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
The Friggin ACLU runs this country! pretty soon, the water fountains will have rights and we won't be able to drink out of them without a lawyer present. The ACLU should be disbanded before every single "i'm dysfunctional, what are my rights?" group gets endangered species status and starts chanting things like "diversity" and "tolerance". that's my point of view on who runs things in this formerly constitutional nation.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think that corporations run the US. The whole political system is rigged so that the only candidates who can afford a national campaign are those with their hands full of corporate money.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
My opinion:
I think it's a combination of both. :rolleyes:
I think there's some representation from people who still believe in what the country was founded on, but it's becoming a smaller and smaller minority. Campaign finance reform's a good start, but it's still just a Band-Aid™ on a hacksaw wound.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Toshi
I think that corporations run the US. The whole political system is rigged so that the only candidates who can afford a national campaign are those with their hands full of corporate money.
Yeah I agree with this for the most part. But then again the real strength of the US is economic strength created by corporate America.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by LeatherFace

Yeah thanks...I'm sure that will get me an "A" :rolleyes:
It will surely get you "A" head or two chopped off.

splat

Nam I am
I think it is a Mix of groups.( not nessicarly in the correct order ) the Congress ,The President , Alan Greenspan, some large corporations , The mafia , The Military, The Press and of course Elvis ( had to put the King in ) .

Then there are a Whole Bunch who think they have the authority to do anything , but thank god don't, Jesse Jackson, Berkley (univ.) , Ted Kennedy, Jerry Farwell and Rush Limbaugh ( although he does have a strong influance ) and there is more Just can't think of them right now .

Somehow I don't think Jerry Falwell and Rush Limbaugh are exactly the same type of person. I say this because I've listened to Rush frequently and heard him make fun of Falwell frequently. Heck, even the students at Liberty University (where Falwell is dean, or whatever - my friend works there) make fun of Jerry for some of his laws, and NO ONE there will EVER let him live down the whole Teletubby thing. *L*

I didn't say he said that. I was pointing out the fact that they weren't exactly the same, since he DID lump them into the same group of people.

And yes they are right-wing conservatives. So am I, but that doesn't mean I agree 100% with what Rush says, and I agree with Falwell ONLY when what he says lines up with what the Book says....the rest of the time we run for cover and grit our teeth in frustration that a man who gets upset at Teletubbies and blames the lesbians and gays and KKK SPECIFICALLY for the 9/11 attacks, has such a large say in political/religious circles.

Originally posted by splat
I didn't specify Right wing or left wing , I mearly said people who believe they have the power over how the country runs but does not. I did not say they have the same views ! I mean look at that whole list!
Hmm...this is true. I must apologize to you on this one. I don't know how in the world I could confuse types such as Jerry Falwell and Rush Limbaugh with Ted Kennedy and such. :rolleyes: OH well...I never said I'm perfect.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Good luck on your paper. It sounds like a fun topic! I agree with the earlier posters that there is a mixture of the idealistic "on paper" government along with the influences of the big corporations or wealthy. As a private, non-wealthy, citizen, I'm not convinced that I make a difference in the federal government. However, I do believe that I can make a difference in my own community through activism. Maybe there is a "trickle-up" effect so that changes in the communities eventually get to the federal or state level---but I'm still pessimistic about that!

As for Congress, many of the decisions are made by staffers---typically young college graduates. The staffers gather information about various issues (aided largely by lobbying groups who are funded by businesses with special interests) and then present their recommendation to the senator or congessperson. This may not be true for all issues but this is how the company I work for secures funding for our projects (through direct appropriation in the federal budget).

So here is one theory, asserted by C. Wright Mills...everyone have their notebooks out, ready to take notes.

Power-elite model: power held and exercised by a priviledged few. They exercise power because they happen to hold important positions in the organizations that dominate Am. society: government, coporations, military.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Well, it's a well known fact, Sunny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentaveret, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet triannually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

But personally, I always hated the colonel, with his *wee beady* eyes, and that smart look on his face...Oh, you're going to buy my chicken! Ooooh!
You might ask yourself, how can I hate "The Colonel"?
Because he puts a secret ingredient in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, ya smartass!

I'd have to respectfully disagree with that one, Heidi.

Why do I say this?

Because I'm in the military, and interface with representatives of major military corporations every day, and if the military corporations were in charge, the government would be a LOT more screwed up than it already is.

:D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by fourgivn1

and if the military corporations were in charge, the government would be a LOT more screwed up than it already is.

:D
Hehehe. I've been reading a book about the new Nuclear arena and it's frightening.

Originally posted by Heidi

Hehehe. I've been reading a book about the new Nuclear arena and it's frightening.
Yeah, I'll say.

ALTHOUGH....let me put in a plug for the difference between the military government and the federal government.

I used to be a reactor operator for the Navy, and while I guarantee you the civilian run (but government regulated) nuclear power plants have problems and have experienced quite a few accidents, Naval nuclear power (i.e., subs and carriers) is quite different. Just thought you might like to know that the military nuclear power program is much better off than the governments'.

Although the military is tied to the government. :confused: :eek:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The people do, of course. But their voice is not measured on a per capita basis. It's measured on either per dollar basis, or per loudest-voice basis. Lobbying groups run the country. Voting actually has much less influence on policy (other than the BIG issues) than forming a lobbying group and directly lobbying the legislative branch.

And don't give me any of this crap that only the democrats give in to lobbies, or vice versa. They all do. Spend some time in DC and you'll quickly discover that the political battle is between the lobbying group with the most money against the lobbying group with the loudest voice. By the time it gets to congress the decision is already made.

gravity plus

Chimp
Nov 22, 2001
Foxboro, MA.
what are these "lobbies" you talk about?

I hate it how, in school, they only teach us the "good side" of politics and wars.......

I found out about Andrew Jackson's Indian Removal Policy in a song. It intrigued (SP?) me, so I went and did a little research on it.

splat

Nam I am
Originally posted by gravity plus
what are these "lobbies" you talk about?

I hate it how, in school, they only teach us the "good side" of politics and wars.......

I found out about Andrew Jackson's Indian Removal Policy in a song. It intrigued (SP?) me, so I went and did a little research on it.
Simple , History is written by the victors , another good example is look at the Mexican-american war. that was all about stealing Arizon, New mexican, nevada. colorado, utah and California from Mexico

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by splat

Simple , History is written by the victors , another good example is look at the Mexican-american war. that was all about stealing Arizon, New mexican, nevada. colorado, utah and California from Mexico
And he who controls the past, controls the future...

1984 anyone?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
US history as taught in CA grades 1-12 is anglo propaganda spoon fed courtesy of Washington. It's only in college that any objective views are explored but hardly anyone takes history or Political science classes beyond the basic graduation requirements

America land of the ingnorant masses :rolleyes:

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by tubby
The Friggin ACLU runs this country! pretty soon, the water fountains will have rights and we won't be able to drink out of them without a lawyer present. The ACLU should be disbanded before every single "i'm dysfunctional, what are my rights?" group gets endangered species status and starts chanting things like "diversity" and "tolerance". that's my point of view on who runs things in this formerly constitutional nation.
Kind of ironic that this horrible organization will also stand up for your right to voice your opinion.

Whoops almost forgot to answer the question. As so many have already said.....the lobbyists with the deepest pockets.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Damn True
Take a look at the book "Lies my teacher told me".

Intersting take on how history has been revised at all levels of education.
Do you have the author's name?

Another book worth reading which is specifically about who governs the US & the rest of the 'western' world is 'The Silent Takeover' by Noreena Hertz

Synopsis - Corporations but there is a growing power in protest groups. Governments are pretty much getting their balls squeezed, all they can do now is start wars.