Quantcast

Who had a $100 fill-up?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm borrowing my parent's volvo XC90 while my jeep gets some work done. It's not a huge suv like a suburban or excursion, it's got a turbo 2.9 liter 6 cylinder in it but it still gets about 15 miles to the gallon and has a 17 gal tank.

Add in the turbo for the manditory 91 octane(high compression motor) and I get to drop at least $50 a fillup about once a week (more if I get all turbo happy and try to race soccer moms).

I can't really bitch too much though, since my parents also had this car in europe for about 3 months and were paying by the litre there while driving everywhere from sweden to italy (which I think is about the same distance from one end of LA to the other right?)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
narlus said:
yet other people around the world don't suddenly die if they don't drive a six or eight cylinder car. strange.
The funny thing is the differences between SUV/Trucks and Cars. The only newer trucks or SUV's that will get decent gas mileage are the 4 banger's. Because the V6's aren't that off from V8's. If I was looking into a new truck/suv I'd think get a Toyota/Honda/Nissan but when it boils down to it they aren't that much better than a Dodge/Chevy/Ford (of compariable ofcourse).

There are only a few select cars out there that do get the good mileage. I don't think shuttle driving a civic with bike weight, gear weight, and people weight is going to get that great on the gas mileage.

I know that in the U.S.A lots of people thing bigger is better (and in some cases it can be) but when gas went up over $2.25 or so I started thinking to myself now public transportation OR alternate means comes at a better value. Over $3.00 a gallon and I drive when I have to, and if I don't then I don't. But when I'm in my truck vs. my girlfriends Civic I feel safer. It's a big truck LOL. But now days most trucks and suv's are large anyways so it doesn't matter as much about size.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the truck/SUV is safer when you are ramming into things, be they stationary or moving. they are more dangerous if you are taking evasive action, esp at any kind of speed.

how does one drive from sweden to italy? via denmark i imagine, at the bridge between malmo and copenhagen? that's a lot of driving; wouldn't a plane ride be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper, or are rental cars that much?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
narlus said:
the truck/SUV is safer when you are ramming into things, be they stationary or moving. they are more dangerous if you are taking evasive action, esp at any kind of speed.
Crossover vehicles - car based SUV styled tall wagon change this though...

Edmunds.com road test results:

2002 Subaru WRX AWD 3,085 lbs.
60-0 braking: 115 ft
Slalom: 64.5 mph

2007 Mazda CX-7 AWD 3929 lbs.
60-0 braking: 112.9 ft
Slalom: 64.3 mph

The extra mass didn't hurt the CX-7 much now did it?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm in the $65-75 range depending on how low I run it, but that's also with a full size diesel pickup that gets ~18-20mpg and 500+ miles to a tank.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
the truck/SUV is safer when you are ramming into things, be they stationary or moving
I've heard report that the ladder-frame designed ones are actually worse when ramming into stationary (immovable) objects. Something about the lack of a unibody and its ability to absorb impacts more efficiently.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
syadasti said:
Crossover vehicles - car based SUV styled tall wagon change this though...

Edmunds.com road test results:

2002 Subaru WRX AWD 3,085 lbs.
60-0 braking: 115 ft
Slalom: 64.5 mph

2007 Mazda CX-7 AWD 3929 lbs.
60-0 braking: 112.9 ft
Slalom: 64.3 mph

The extra mass didn't hurt the CX-7 much now did it?
here's where it takes the hit (MPG):

WRX 20/27
mazda 18/24

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
narlus said:
here's where it takes the hit (MPG):

WRX 20/27
mazda 18/24
But the true cost to own (sticker, depreciation, financing, insurance, taxes and fees, fuel, maintenance, and repairs) the vehicles according to edmunds:

2006 WRX AWD $25K Sticker - TCO $.61/mi or $45,398 if you keep it for 5 years
And 14 cu. ft. less passenger space...

2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport AWD $25.5K Sticker - TCO $.58/mi or $43,161 if you keep it for 5 years

Narlus it looks like you won't be able to afford the new bike. Sorry better luck next time :nopity:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Who cares about the gas price?

Just buy it and enjoy it then buy more when you need to.

The reason we all work is to earn $'s for our enjoyment.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
syadasti said:
But the true cost to own (sticker, depreciation, financing, insurance, taxes and fees, fuel, maintenance, and repairs) the vehicles according to edmunds:

2006 WRX AWD $25K Sticker - TCO $.61/mi or $45,398 if you keep it for 5 years
And 14 cu. ft. less passenger space...

2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport AWD $25.5K Sticker - TCO $.58/mi or $43,161 if you keep it for 5 years

Narlus it looks like you won't be able to afford the new bike. Sorry better luck next time :nopity:
good thing i saved my $ via the civic.

btw, the original numbers you quoted were for an '02 WRX, and now you switch to an '06? i don't really care enough to fix the apples/oranges comparison, but now i see why 70% of yr posts are edited. :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
narlus said:
btw, the original numbers you quoted were for an '02 WRX, and now you switch to an '06? i don't really care enough to fix the apples/oranges comparison, but now i see why 70% of yr posts are edited. :D
Edmunds latest road test results for the WRX are the 2002...

Either way, you can't say the modern 4000 lbs. CUV drives like an SUV considering that has similiar handling and braking to a very popular sport sedan of 4 years that almost weighs 1000 lbs less.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thats what I said...

syadasti said:
Crossover vehicles - car based SUV styled tall wagon
The Mazda CX7 AWD is lighter, cheaper, and has more passenger space than the 2007 Passat Wagon AWD with similar mpg. The Passat will be quicker off the line but will probably fall apart when you look at it funny :D

my parents put $110 into the suburban (40 gallon tank) when they fill from empty. I was putting 80-90 in it two years ago, it's just a BIG truck. it gets ~15-16mpg driving around walla walla, but as low as 7mpg towing our RV :dead: I put $20 into my buddy's girlfriend's VW cabrio and all I got was 6.5 gallons. That said the gas is better in her can, than my girlfriend's wrangler with 4.0L and 33" ATs

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Wow, I pity all of you guys.

I put about $25-30 for usually 8-10gallons of mid-grade gas into my Civic. That 8-10 gallons of course, is only a couple gallons short of my entire tank. From that 8-10 gallons I drive 300-350miles per fill up, which lasts me anywhere from 2weeks (if I go out of town for riding or something) to a month. :D

I know, civics are awesome. :D

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Yeah the other day the pump shut off at $75 and I put the card back in and added another couple of bucks.

Whatever, driving my car provides my income. Yeah I am looking for something more economical but until that day I will pay.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I spend $6 filling my motorcycle up. In 200 miles, I'll have to spend another $6, assuming gas hasn't gone up more. Then it would be like $6.20. Or maybe even $436.20.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Zark said:
$3.57 for regular at the Chevron down the street. Yikes!
Holy shiat! I'm glad I made my trip to SB last weekend.

Ya, the rising gas prices mean no trip to Nationals #1 for me.

I've got an 10 or 12 gallon tank, I'm not sure. I broke $30 for the first time coming back from SB the other week.

Makes me glad that the road bike is still my numero uno mode of transportation!

The Ito

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
N8 said:
Who cares about the gas price?

Just buy it and enjoy it then buy more when you need to.

The reason we all work is to earn $'s for our enjoyment.
Paying to drive is not part of enjoyment. I ride my bike for enjoyment. The car exists because I suck and can't ride to Santa Barbara with all my stupid crap. The car sucks my life away, but at times it is necessary. Oh and I'm an intern so I make jack sh*t for money. Gotta work on that.

It has been spending less time in the car, more on the bike, so it is all good though.

The Ito

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
justsomeguy said:
For you.

For some folks, driving is fun. More fun than riding bikes sometimes.
Yeah, but paying isn't the fun part of it.

I like riding DH bikes, but I really don't like spending upwards of $3000 on bicycle.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You guys look at it all wrong, who cares if you spend $500 to fill up your tank, how many miles does that get you? Thats the important question. It's the cost per mile that matters not the cost per tank.

That being said I just filled up the Rover 19.3 gallons, and 5 Jerry cans, those are 5 Gallons each, I use premium @ 3.59 per gallon, so that was a $159.03 fill-up. Thus I own this thread. I also get a very enviro freindly 12.3mpg hwy, or roughly $0.29 per mile.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
konabiker said:
Yeah, but paying isn't the fun part of it.

I like riding DH bikes, but I really don't like spending upwards of $3000 on bicycle.
You have to pay to play.

Context is key. Perhaps you missed this part?

ito said:
I ride my bike for enjoyment. The car exists because I suck and can't ride to Santa Barbara with all my stupid crap. The car sucks my life away, but at times it is necessary.