Quantcast

Who had a $100 fill-up?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
maxyedor said:
It's the cost per mile that matters not the cost per tank.

Thus I own this thread.
Using that kind of criteria, I guess I would own this thread then.

Running this:

(Summer '02 even)

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I spend somewhere in the mid $50's when I fill up. I get about 350 miles to a tank. I have definetely cut back on my driving.

I just wish people would wake up and see gas prices do not have to be this high. If they had to be this high the gas companies would not be posting record profits. The profits would be the same as in years past if gas prices had to be this high because of production problems. The gas companies are using the problems in the world as a cover to raise the price of gas and getting very rich off it. The gas stations are making the same or less money, the gas distributors are not even making anymore money from these high prices. It is only Shell, Mobil, etc that is making all the money and it is not being used for production. It is going straight into the pockets of the owners of these companies.

Has the amount of gas this country uses gone down from a result of these past price hikes? From what I have seen in the papers, no. The gas companies obviously can keep up with demand with no problems. They also do not seem to have much more expense involved to keep up with demand. This is evident in their record profits. So I want to know what real reason is for gas prices going up? I think it is just because the gas companies are just using the U.S. market to their advantage. They have what we want and they are naming the price for us to get it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
justsomeguy said:

Running this:

(Summer '02 even)
I don't think racing fuel counts in this thread but if it does, I need to find some receipts from the last time I was at the drags, a couple years ago I had a '63 thunderbird, with a 460, duel quads and open headers, it got yardage, not milage. When racing I could pull a sollid .9mpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
justsomeguy said:

Running this:

(Summer '02 even)
The last time my brother bought gas for his Corrado, Jan or Feb I think, it was $9.00 a gallon for the 116 octane. Last summer I think it was going for $7.50 a gallon.

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
its the same opec/nixon thing all over again. it killed the mussle car, now its going after the suv. now...how many of you spent a few bills on that fancy bike rack?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DHCorky said:
<snip>
I just wish people would wake up and see gas prices do not have to be this high. If they had to be this high the gas companies would not be posting record profits. The profits would be the same as in years past if gas prices had to be this high because of production problems. The gas companies are using the problems in the world as a cover to raise the price of gas and getting very rich off it. The gas stations are making the same or less money, the gas distributors are not even making anymore money from these high prices. It is only Shell, Mobil, etc that is making all the money and it is not being used for production. It is going straight into the pockets of the owners of these companies.

Has the amount of gas this country uses gone down from a result of these past price hikes? From what I have seen in the papers, no. The gas companies obviously can keep up with demand with no problems. They also do not seem to have much more expense involved to keep up with demand. This is evident in their record profits. So I want to know what real reason is for gas prices going up? I think it is just because the gas companies are just using the U.S. market to their advantage. They have what we want and they are naming the price for us to get it.
Wow. Have you ever taken an economics course? Does the term "supply and demand" mean anything? The oil companies are not manipulating the fuel market. They're charging exactly what the market will bear given the supply of fuel.

I suppose you'd recommend government control of prices? :rolleyes:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
narlus said:
natural gas is more expensive than oil...

do you burn wood? or put 4 hemp sweaters on?
Most people in New Zealand go the 4 sweater route.

Average indoor winter temperature in NZ is lower than average indoor winter temperature in Siberia (at least thats what they said on the news in NZ). Below the WHO minimum...

Gee, I wonder why they have a problem with mold in their homes:p

NZ government is doing a sponsored health study with central heating for 600 homes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
I burn natural gas because it's cleaner............. :rolleyes: :D Is natural gas really more expensive out there than oil?
yep.

http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=marketsNews&storyID=2006-05-04T180144Z_01_N04243313_RTRIDST_0_ENERGY-CANADIANNATURALRESOURCES-EARNS-UPDATE-2.XML

http://news.google.com/news?q=price+of+natural+gas+versus+oil&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-17,GGLG:en&sa=X&oi=news&ct=title

china made a big infrastructure investment in natural gas a few years ago and is now changing to oil because of price.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
SkaredShtles said:
Heating oil? I thought that went out shortly after the coal-burning boiler........... :rolleyes: ;)
House was built in the '50's...just about all houses in the neigborhood are on oil. But reconsidering switching to propane or nat gas. Or maybe I should just insulate that shat out of the house.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
Ummm....... did you read this article? They're switching to *producing* oil because of record high prices of oil. They're cutting back production of natural gas due to better return for heavy crude. :think:

Besides - when was the last time you found an oil-burning chef's range:

Natural gas - it's what's for dinner. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no wood-fired oven in yr kitchen?

seriously, i did read an article in the Globe a few weeks ago about the Chinese switchover from LNG to oil, which is also causing a spike in the market because of additional demand.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
no wood-fired oven in yr kitchen?
I wish. That would kick ass.

seriously, i did read an article in the Globe a few weeks ago about the Chinese switchover from LNG to oil, which is also causing a spike in the market because of additional demand.
I guess the bottom line would be which is more economical. And which would run the range, dryer, and hot water heater.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had a 1/4 of a tank and decided I would fill up. It was $40 @ 2.88/gal. I saw the gas station doown the street from work was $3.05 for regular!

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I filled up for $2.99 a couple days ago.
You got to go to the gas stations in the 'hood - they're cheaper than in the 'burbs.
It was still almost $40 for the CRiV's beastly 13 gallon tank.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
SkaredShtles said:
Wow. Have you ever taken an economics course? Does the term "supply and demand" mean anything? The oil companies are not manipulating the fuel market. They're charging exactly what the market will bear given the supply of fuel.

I suppose you'd recommend government control of prices? :rolleyes:
Reread my post I mention supply and demand in the last part being the cause for the high prices.

They have the supply and are charging what they want for it.

The problem is the majority of people in this country are under the belief that gas prices are high right now because Iraq and huricanes. So until the consumers wake up and realize this the gas companies are going to keep raising the prices.

The last thing we need is government control of prices. We just need educated consumers that understand why gas prices are what they are.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
DHCorky said:
Reread my post I mention supply and demand in the last part being the cause for the high prices.

They have the supply and are charging what they want for it.

The problem is the majority of people in this country are under the belief that gas prices are high right now because Iraq and huricanes. So until the consumers wake up and realize this the gas companies are going to keep raising the prices.

The last thing we need is government control of prices. We just need educated consumers that understand why gas prices are what they are.
Related link:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Metal said:
It cost me just a bit more than $14 to fill up my motorcycle. I almost shed a tear. It's a good thing I get a bit over 200 miles to a tank.
:stupid:

I do need to get a better bag to carry my laptop and other work stuff in.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
This has nothing to do with aluminum foil hats morons. This is not some big conspiracy. It is our own damn selfs working against us. We want to have the gas and the gas companies are telling us what we have to pay for it.

Gas prices are a result of our economic system of Supply and Demand like SS said.

The gas companies know they can raise prices everytime something happens in oil producing areas. Even when it does not effect gas production in any way. So being smart buisnesses they raise prices.

Honestly is the war in Iraq really making gas production more expensive and causing a shortage in oil?

I want to know how all the gas companies are showing record profits if they are having to spend all this extra money oil production?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
:stupid:

I do need to get a better bag to carry my laptop and other work stuff in.
i saw a guy here at work yesterday who had a 2005 paul mccartney tour laptop bag....who the hell in their right mind would be buying that? :rofl:

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
Total Heckler said:
Yeah I spent $47 filling up my Audi on Monday. Its times like this it really makes me sad that it needs Premium.
Yup, my A4 2.0T also needs 93 or higher, nowadays $50 is the avg. I pay. Luckily, I have to only fill up every 2, 2 ½ weeks.

Jon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
i saw a guy here at work yesterday who had a 2005 paul mccartney tour laptop bag....who the hell in their right mind would be buying that? :rofl:
Maybe he lost Seargeant Peppers Lonly Hearts Club Backpack.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stoney98 said:
We went to look at the mini's Sunday afternoon and received NO service. We pulled up in an '03 M3 convertible, with our yuppie/preppie look (we had been tasting up in Napa), obviously looking for assistance.
Nothing. WTF?!
maybe he figured you were drunk.

is yr girlfriend ditching the M3 for a mini? :confused:

edit - the only time i was in Napa, i swilled some wine wearing a t shirt and shorts; have they changed the valley's dress code?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
justsomeguy said:
Morons? The irony of your uninformed a$$ calling people morons is simply delicious.
I am calling you a moron for pulling out the "tin foil hat" card when this had nothing to do with this. Yes the aricle below explained the profits of gas companies. The local paper did have a article last week discussing this and pointed out the gas companies are charging quite a bit more for gas than is really needed. If people are willing to pay for the current price of gas more power to the gas companies for taking advantage of us.

justsomeguy said:
Thanks for the link this answered many of my questions.

I do not spend a ton of time watching TV and news(haven't turned the TV on in a month). So I miss some of this. I guess I spend to much time on the bike

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
DHCorky said:
I am calling you a moron for pulling out the "tin foil hat" card when this had nothing to do with this. Yes the aricle below explained the profits of gas companies. The local paper did have a article last week discussing this and pointed out the gas companies are charging quite a bit more for gas than is really needed. If people are willing to pay for the current price of gas more power to the gas companies for taking advantage of us.
Dude - if someone pays $3/gal for gas voluntarily he/she is NOT being "taken advantage of." :rolleyes:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Metal said:
It cost me just a bit more than $14 to fill up my motorcycle. I almost shed a tear. It's a good thing I get a bit over 200 miles to a tank.
I'm really thinking you might have the right idea here...When i move into the city for work in the coming year i think i am going to get a bike, there is no point driving my car all over the place during the summer...

the max i spent filling up my car is about $33...

VR6 Jetta aka "bitch basket" according to some lessers on this forum...

have fun filling all those SUV's boys.

J

JRB

stoney98 said:
<snip>Off topic:
We went to look at the mini's Sunday afternoon and received NO service. We pulled up in an '03 M3 convertible, with our yuppie/preppie look (we had been tasting up in Napa), obviously looking for assistance.
Nothing. WTF?! It was enough that I doubt I will buy a car from the Concord BMW/Mini dealer ever.
-ms
I don't recall you posting in any of the Nissan threads, but I had better NOT find where you called me whiney in any of them.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
DHCorky said:
I am calling you a moron for pulling out the "tin foil hat" card when this had nothing to do with this.
The tin foil beenie (not hat!) link was posted as an example of something that misinformed people (like you) believe in.

It has everything to do with your "theories" about gas pricing. Foil beenies and "the gas companies are just screwing us, blah, blah, blah" are equally as simplistic.

HTH.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - if someone pays $3/gal for gas voluntarily he/she is NOT being "taken advantage of." :rolleyes:
A guy I work with was going on and on about don't but at mobil don't buy at citgo we will show them yada yada yada.. I would imagine every freakin gas company out there is from overseas...I remember an e-mail going around last year about how much we pay for other things like beer and nyqual.....this guy I work with got real pissed when I said I would like to see VODKA go down for petes sake that stuff is like $45.00 a gallon...