Quantcast

who has a Dremel tool?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I am thinking of buy one but am not sure what one....

any suggestions? I would be using it for everything and anything. :D mostly crafts...... :monkey:

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
yes get one, they rock. i used mine for everything. if you're just getting one, i'd recommend the same, the 5-speed plug-in one. the battery dies way too fast on the portable one. reminds me, i need to get to home despot for a new one soon!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
5 spd for sure.
It's awesome to use the cutoff wheel (the big ones) to trim carbon bars or seatposts down. Just be sure to wear a mask when you do tho. I used mine recently to mod a computer case's side panel to add another 120mm fan and to open the mounting hole for my Hayes caliper just a touch to fit the floater.
BTW guys, mine is sounding a bit squeeky. Is there a lube point or a bearing replacement you can buy to get it working smooth again?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got one... crafts and light duty work is about all it's good for. Definitely get the variable speed one. As long as it's from a decent company you should be fine. I've got the actual dremmel - it's ok.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk has one and she loves the thing. She does not get to use it nearly as much as she'd like, but jumps at every opportunity. She also has a set of about 100 attachments.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I Are Baboon said:
MtnBikerChk has one and she loves the thing. She does not get to use it nearly as much as she'd like, but jumps at every opportunity. She also has a set of about 100 attachments.

must show restraint, must show restraint, must show restraint................

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I have one, but I hardly ever use it. :think:
What the hell do you do? You don't ride. You don't watch TV. You don't dremel. Oh, I know. You blather about on ridemonkey about how you don't do anything.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've got the battery powered one, it's not bad for how I use it - which is typically once a month or so for various trimming/sanding/buffing/polishing/cutting needs I have. This last weekend I polished our Ti wedding rings with it, they look so nice now..........anyway.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
This is what I haved. It works very well. It is like $100 and comes with like 100 pieces. I use it for plishing, grinding metal.............

It takes 5 min to cut through steel this thick though -> =

But aluminum is okay.

Attachments

I Are Baboon said:

WOO HOO DREMEL!

Yep, I have the cordless it has 2 spds, 7500 and 15,000 rpms. It comes in very handy. I'm currently teaching the dog to tolerate it so I can use it to file her nails down.

no, really!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
they rock... i have the digital one that you can vary the speed on... i think it goes from about 5 - 30 000 RPM.... worth every penny... i use it about once a month...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I have one and use it all the time for random stuff. I assume they still make the flex hose attachment, if they do I'd reccomend getting that as well. I find it allows me to be much more precise with things.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I never really liked the dremels..... :confused:

I didn't like the 1 spd dremel....multiple is better.

I didn't like how light and flimsy they feal....I can be more exacting with a regular dril than the flexy wand attatchment.

Dremel, the answer for the question the wasn't asked.

I prefer hack saws and drills over Dremels.

splat

Nam I am
johnbryanpeters said:
:stupid: I have one, but the only time I reef it out is to use the abrasive cutoff wheel, which is maybe once in five years.
The cut off wheels rock!!! I buy them by the 100 pack!

MtnBikerChk said:
WOO HOO DREMEL!

Yep, I have the cordless it has 2 spds, 7500 and 15,000 rpms. It comes in very handy. I'm currently teaching the dog to tolerate it so I can use it to file her nails down.

no, really!

I have the cordless as as well as a corded one , and I found teh cordless one , just couldn't get the torque need to do certain things ( cut steel ) and My batteries didn't last very long.

splat said:
The cut off wheels rock!!! I buy them by the 100 pack!

I have the cordless as as well as a corded one , and I found teh cordless one , just couldn't get the torque need to do certain things ( cut steel ) and My batteries didn't last very long.
I agree. If I were to buy one now, I'd get the corded. Although, cordless does have some advantages (provided 15K is fast enough for what you are doing - and for me, most of the time it is).

J

JRB

GumbaFish said:
I use mine for a lot for modelling work and whatnot, i would agree though its not really capable of handling large jobs.
Holy crap - Golgi, you need one of these. Wait, I just saw that it's not good for large jobs. I am sure you don't model for anyone small time any more. :think:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
pnj said:
the RotoZip doesn't look like it would work for me.

this is the dremel I'm looking at.
http://www.dremel.com/HTML/home_fr.html

and this is the type of stuff I'll be making....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1468&item=5593885814&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting
The Rotozip can do anything a Dremel can do. In that picture, all of them shown have the detachable guard on. This allows you to use it like a router. Take that off and you can use any Dremel type bit. You can also remove the handles. You can even use router bits with them. At least, I can with the one I have. And when you're done with your crafts, you can use it to cut a hole in your wall.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
rotozip is too expensive....

I have other tools for cutting holes in walls....