Quantcast

who has a hanging FUSCHIA basket?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm sure I'm the only one...

I need to know how I deal with it for winter storage....

J

JRB

pnj said:
I'm sure I'm the only one...

I need to know how I deal with it for winter storage....
You see, it's comments like this. Nevermind..... :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I did, but it didn't make it through the summer -- maybe something to do with 100F???

http://www.morris.umn.edu/pyg/tips/perennials/tip_1201.shtml

Garages are not the best place to keep plants as there is usually no light. Bring indoors before a frost and if they stay inside for long they need a bright window location. They will need a little watering over the winter, but not much. You don't want the soil to be soggy. Roots need air too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Wumpus said:
Garages are not the best place to keep plants as there is usually no light. Bring indoors before a frost and if they stay inside for long they need a bright window location. They will need a little watering over the winter, but not much. You don't want the soil to be soggy. Roots need air too.
True, but my garage has two huge windows on the west side so it gets lots of afternoon sun :thumb:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a car port... and a basement w/ light.

I don't know when to cut it back and how far back to cut it. do I cut all the limbs off or what? do I have to cover it with plastic or something too?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
pnj said:
I have a car port... and a basement w/ light.

I don't know when to cut it back and how far back to cut it. do I cut all the limbs off or what? do I have to cover it with plastic or something too?
Does it actually freeze in Seatle?

Plastic is not good for shielding plants. If you have to cover for protection, use some kind of cloth(burlap etc.).

Indoor lights are not sufficient unless you have some grow lights(flourscents need to be nearly touching the top of the plant).

I probably wouldn't cut it back until Late November or whenever it starts looking spindly. Leave a few nodes(buds) on each stalk.

http://experts.about.com/q/1639/3267692.htm

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Snacks said:
True, but my garage has two huge windows on the west side so it gets lots of afternoon sun :thumb:
yea, so? what do you do w/ your fuschia plants during the fall/winter?

:monkey: :D