Quantcast

Who has a Husky?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
So we are moving forward with the fostering gig, and we are looking to foster a husky. C wants to adopt one but I am being a commit-a-phobe because of their ****ty reputation with cats. Does anyone on the board have a husky? C wants to teach it ski-jornn (sp?) I say he is crazy to want to attach any animal to himself and a set of skis.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I adopted a Husky a few years back when I still lived with my mom. Within minutes of him being in our house he ate my little brothers guinea pig. After all of the Funeral services were over for little Cheerio (the guinea pig), life went on as normal.

I TRIED to keep the dog in the basement, he wasn't having it. No matter what we did we absolutely could not detain him. He literally broke through a door in the basement, got into the garage and somehow broke a window in the garage door and escaped. I tried a harness and cable outside for a few days and every day he managed to slip through the harness and run away.

I worked at a pool and spa store then and took him to work one day and let him go in the pool park. He went on a mad run and swam in every pool we had, and then jumped into our fish pond and proceeded with a gourmet buffet of koi. I then tied him to the fence and came back about a half hour later to find that he chewed through the line and had disappeared over the 6ft fence surrounding the area.

I love huskies and know some people that have had really great ones. My experience was horrible, and my mom ended up taking him back to the humane society while I was at work one day. I have a wonderful chocolate lab now that has a ton of energy, but completely incomparable to what Jonas the husky had. They are great dogs, but not for me anymore.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have one, actually half Husky, half Malamute. He is great. We had cats when he arrived, they were clearly in charge and smacked him around regularly. He is great with kids (2 babies have arrived since he did...) and other dogs. I didnt (And still dont) hesitate to throw him down and choke him out, and always eat first, just to let him know I am still boss. He also gets walked at least once per day, we have a big yard and he recently gained a playmate in a 3 y/o Lab/Pit mix, so he gets lots of exercise.
He has never been chained or staked out, I think it would make him nuts.

Great dogs, but the first months are critical...p.m me if I can help...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Took care of a half husky half australian sheperd for a while. Strongest willed dog I have ever seen. At first itt was a real pain in the ass if it didn't get what it wanted. I really had to let it know I was in charge or it was going to do what ever it wanted. Show a moment of weakness and it was all over.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Oh yeah...dog doors are a must!
See, we have a killer set up for a dog. Our house is tiny and anywhere he could go that he doesn't need to can be shut off. Our living room is virtually dog proof and could be completely proofed in a matter of minutes. The crate room is secluded. We really are in a good situation right now to do it. We work opposite schedules so someone would almost always be around. He could attend doggy day care with me to work on socialization. We are 3 blocks from the river trail which provides miles and miles of exercise. We have a shared yard but would never stake a dog outside. I don't get that. We are looking at one that is up for adoption that would be perfect for us. If we can get our hands on him, we may go ahead and adopt.

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
I had a Husky for about 10 years... He was an awesome dog, but got extremely sick and finally had to be put down.

Huskies like to run. I can remember mine getting out of the house, and me chasing it for 2 or 3 hours. At one point I lived across the street from a golf course, and he got loose and headed over there. I was literally running around the golf course, from fairway to fairway, chasing that elusive bastard. He was fast, and would never tire out.
Huskies also shed a LOT. They have two coats of fur... One on the outside for "waterproofing" and a fluffy undercoat for insulation. The undercoat can really cause a big mess, because they shed the whole thing like twice a year. We had to pay extra at the groomer to have them blow out the undercoat. I think we paid around $75 every time he went.
My husky liked to howl. He didn't bark very much, but when left alone, he would howl like nobody's business. My neighbor told me one time, that he had come over to my house, thinking that someone was being attacked.

Other than those few issues, they are great dogs. I would love to have another Husky, but with two small kids in the house now, I don't think I would have the time to keep one entertained, exercised, and cleaned up after.

EDIT: Mine was a big Siberian Husky. He weighed around 100 pounds.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
We have a shared yard but would never stake a dog outside. I don't get that.
Just to clarify, my tying the dog out was sort of a last resort. When I "tied" him out it was actually a specific dog run that was about a hundred yards long. We had six acres and lots of seclusion with a REALLY big yard. I do not condone tying dogs out to a stake for long periods of time, but our original thinking was that he might enjoy the freedom of a three acre yard and it would calm him down a bit as he could exercise all day while I was at work so he would be more calm in the house at night.

I should have gotten a crate for him, but he was about 5 years old and I really didn't think I would need to until it was too late.

By the way, dog daycare is the bomb for high energy breeds. My lab now goes two times a week and it is the best thing we could have ever done for him.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Problem with a husky is they are high strung, they need to be ran every day they take forever to train to heal and not drag you down the sidewalk.

They will eat cats, but I figure if a cat is outside without a leash, tags etc then it deserves to be in the food chain like all the birds it's killing.

I f your hubby wants to skijor with the dog he better get two because it will pull him fine for a while then his hips will go and you'll have a seven year old dog that was worked too hard and will act like it's 13

I love husky's and own a mix that is mellow, but would stay away from them, they need to be worn out on a daily basis or they will find ways to entertain themselves. My friends 10 yr old is still the same as it was when it was 2.

go to the shelter take a lead and walk several of them and find that most mellow one you can, it will be easier on you.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Sounds about like everything the breed reports (or whatever the hell you call them) say are true.

As far skijoring goes, Roxi will be the first to learn this winter. I don't know how hard it would be to train two dogs at once. Plus Roxi already knows I am the boss. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Huskies are work dogs. They go bonkers if you don't work them. Build a little sled for him to drag around and just sit on it while he runs. That *should* work.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Huskies are work dogs. They go bonkers if you don't work them. Build a little sled for him to drag around and just sit on it while he runs. That *should* work.
This will be so awesome. He can pull me all along the lakefront. How else can you wear out a husky. I run, and need the motivation to run more. But I am not running 10 miles a day.

Spudzie

Monkey
Dec 13, 2001
Hebron, ohio
I have a husky shes bout 9 or 10 years old. Ya she was a handful as a puppy always chewing an full of energy. Mine started out as a house dog but quickly became a kenneled dog, she actually prefers to be outside then in the house.

As for cats it all depends on the cats attitude, cause Scotch will play with some cats but chase others.

An i like tieing her to my bike to give her i good run, she often pulls me for a good distance, i love to watch her while she does that she seems happy doing it.

Oh ya my lil 60 lb girl is a siberian husky.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This will be so awesome. He can pull me all along the lakefront. How else can you wear out a husky. I run, and need the motivation to run more. But I am not running 10 miles a day.
A guy I worked with at Mattel had a Malamute and he built a little cart for it to haul around tools (shovels, rakes, his chainsaw) and debris when he was doing yard work. The pooch loved it.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
DItto on the "dog must work or it will go bonkers". Sled dogs have to have a job to do like most working dogs. They are very smart, usually and will find creative ( to them, destrtuctive to you) ways to amuse themselves.

Skjoring is great, google it. We had a malemute that would go completely ape**** whenever we got the harness out. We'd skjor him on a bike too - that was pre invention of mountain bikes.

You CAN teach a sled dog to heel but you have to be very, very diligent and not a pansy when it comes to teaching the dog who is Alpha at your place.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are smart (or tend to be)
They are social (or tend to be)

Those CAN be good traits in a dog. But if you think you can leave them alone, you would be wrong. If you work with them, they can become awesome dogs.

Rotties, German Shepard's, same deal. A big dog with brains can be a very bad thing, though. They need lots of attention and it helps if you give them a job.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i had a husky when i was a kid. she was quite a handful; high energy, hard to train, dominant, and mischievious. she did have a sweet side, which kept us from killing her, but there were times where she wasn't far from a fatality. i agree with jonKranked; work the dog out too keep it tired.

i found the better "pet" to be a norwegian elkhound. similar aesthetics, but much easier to train and managed, probably because they were bred as hunting dogs. i also had one as a kid, alongside the husky. the first one passed years ago, and my mom has since rescued and adopted two more, having a soft spot for the breed after owning the first.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Good point...I have a pulling harness for him, and he was always really happy when pulling the sled with both my boys sitting on it. Now here in Clai, not so much pulling. He does like to dig, so he gets a good desert hike or beach trip every now and again.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I have a half Husky, half Lab. She just turned 16, before she was 2 she just tore everyting apart, ate tv remotes, cd's, magazines, the llinoleum floor in the foyer to mention a little. I got her a Cat to keep her company when she was 3 and they are inseperaable now. SHe is so laid back and calm now it is hard to believe. She used to run with me on trail rides for hours in all types of weather. ABout 6 years ago she started taking siezers and we had to give up the rides. She barely can get around now, between the arthtitis and the hip displacia beginning to get the best of her. She still gets a spark in her eye and gets all excited when we walk into the woods albeit now it is 50 yards in 50 yards out and then back to sleep. Best dog I will ever have. However she will be dead long before all the stray hair gets cleard up. Huskys shed 12 months a year!!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm getting teary just reading this thread. I grew up with a Siberian Husky and EVYERTHING you guys have in this thread is true. She lived until just past 17, at which point her legs just gave out.

Loyal, energetic (Fast!), hairy, and tons of personality. The girl loved attention, hated the brush, and would walk away the moment she had enough.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Just be prepared to exercise and wear the Husky out. I just recently adopted a 5 year old Malamute. I went with a Malamute since they tend to be a little more social vs a Husky. With either breed a good dog is a tired dog. They are very free thinkers and the rumor of selective hearing is true. My dog Molly will let me know she hears me and continue on. I have a 7' by 14' covered kennel outside for her when I am not around. If I am around I have a 50' cable, Huskies and Malamutes love to just wander and explore. The problem is they will wander for miles. Molly is great at sticking around off leash unless another animal comes into the picture. Huskies and Malamutes have been bread to be able to survive on their own so they have a very strong prey instinct. This doesn't mean they are very good at catching things but they will chase forever. Shedding oh yes they will shed non stop. I have given up the idea of ever going somewhere and not having hair on me. The lint brush lives on the coffee table so watching tv you can grab it and clean off the furniture conveniently.

I wouldn't trade Molly for any dog in the world, she is great! In the house she will follow me everywhere, and has to be in the same room I am in. I was at my parents house for a few days and would leave her there when I left to go to my brother in-laws shop to work. Molly laid where my Jeep was parked the entire day waiting for me to come home. The other day at the store she was in the back of my Jeep Wrangler. I left the front drivers window down and she jumped out then came into the store and found me. Keep in mind she is not a small dog she is about 110lbs right now. She was very overweight when I got her 130?? and would not even jump onto the couch. Even as big and out of shape as she is today we went on a 3.5 mile run(she ran I rode my bike) and she was still energetic when we got home.

The day I brought her home:

rokshox

Chimp
Jul 3, 2007
ashburn
rescued this this husky mix pup when she was a month or two old. she is a year and a half old and 50 lbs of cuteness. any ideas on what else she could be? she is a pain in the butt when we take her for walks. switched to a body harness cause she was choking herself out from pulling so hard. just recently we switched to the nose harness trainer thing (if she pulls, it pulls her head to the side)... helped some but she still wants to pull. crate trained from the get go... worked great. she loves it in there. recently have started leaving her out when we go out for short errands. she does fine... if we baby gate the upstairs as she will run up there and poop in the back bedroom. short hair... little shedding and loves play lap dog. anyway... thats my story.

Attachments

Last edited:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Just be prepared to exercise and wear the Husky out. I just recently adopted a 5 year old Malamute. I went with a Malamute since they tend to be a little more social vs a Husky. With either breed a good dog is a tired dog. They are very free thinkers and the rumor of selective hearing is true.

Very, very true. If our Mal was in the mood, he would regularly break chains, hop 6' fences and take 10 mile journeys down to the local horse ranch to "play" with the prized Arabians.

You CAN teach a sled dog to heel, but it requires diligence and establishing yourself as the alpha. We took obedience ribbons with our Mal, which the kennel club told us that they had never seen before. Training him to heel involved a correction that required bracing your body and apply full weight to the "snap" to show them who's the boss. He understood perfectly the difference between the training collar and the pulling harness. I'm not real hot on the use of anti pull devices as I think that's just tricking the dog and not real training.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
There is something really satisfying about training a dog. Roxi is awesome & has started learning her skijoring commands really quickly.

I look forward to the challenge of a husky. :D

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Get an X back Harness, I don't think the petco standard harnesses are comfortable and distribute the load very well.

I got mine from this guy when I lived in Lincoln county.
Adanac Sleds

They also a have a bike specific set-up

Also order the bungie clip, that really helps transferring the shock from the dog to the harness.

Pic of the sweetest groundhog mauler I know

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Get an X back Harness, I don't think the petco standard harnesses are comfortable and distribute the load very well.

I got mine from this guy when I lived in Lincoln county.
Adanac Sleds

They also a have a bike specific set-up

Also order the bungie clip, that really helps transferring the shock from the dog to the harness.

Pic of the sweetest groundhog mauler I know

Great call on the Xback harness!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You really want something the size of a small human jumping up and dragging its upwiped @ss across your nice couch?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You CAN teach a sled dog to heel, but it requires diligence and establishing yourself as the alpha.
oh man, that reminds me of when we tried to get our husky trained by a "dog psychologist" because she was so difficult. he had a money-back guaranty... we got our money back and he asked us to not tell people we had used his services. too bad the dog whisperer wasn't around back then. :bonk:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Working heel (Or any obedience command...) into any dog is a matter of repetition, repetition, repetition...
One thing that helped me train my dog was taking onto a concrete pad (Parking lot, playground, something like that.) and practicing with him. It eliminates alot of the smells associated with a training field.
Also, consistency on the heel side is key, that way a sharp right or left turn by you brings you physically into contact with him if he doesnt want to heel. This further asserts your Alpha status as you give commmands.

I swear I am going to start keeping his fur after it is brushed off. Have it carded and spun into wool, and make a sweater...