Quantcast

Who has ever used Remote Desktop and accidently shutdown a server?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I think just about every admin I know has made that mistake once. Once is usually the only time they make it though, they tend to get very careful after that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know how you shut down a server OS by accident. Windows Server 200x makes you categorize the shutdown and hit OK in order to shut it off.

Our big problem at work is we typically use VNC to manage our customers. We have a small few who use Remote Desktop, though. Unfortunately, one of our products doesn't run true services, and they interact with the desktop so when you are using VNC and hit "Log Off", it shuts down all of the services and takes the whole business down.

99.99% of the time it doesn't happen, but there's that once in a while where someone happened to log into our RDP customers a few times in a row and gets used to that Log Off...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I'm not a Windows Admin, so I can't say I know much about configurations. But let's say there is something reassuring about typing this rather than clicking on a few mouse buttons: shutdown -i6 -g60 -y.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Shoot, I did that last month. My building was powering down for some construction work. I highlighted all of my clients and unselected the file, mail and database servers. I keep those guys in another building so they can stay running. Anyway, when I sent the shutdown command, I noticed one of the db servers still highlighted.... too late.

I'm fortunate to have a data center manned 24/7 so I called them up and one of the guys powered it back on.