Quantcast

Who has taken the GRE?

I'm planning on taking the GRE and was hoping some of you monkeys that have taken it could give me an idea of the kind of prep time it takes. I have just decided in the last month to take it and was hoping to set up a test date in mid-June. Is that enough time? I was actually in a graduate program before but it was just a continuation of my undergrad program so no GRE was required, to be honest I never even took the SATs so I have no idea what its like taking any of these standardized tests.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
caboverpete said:
I was actually in a graduate program before but it was just a continuation of my undergrad program so no GRE was required, to be honest I never even took the SATs so I have no idea what its like taking any of these standardized tests.
I was like you and never took the GRE's. I started doing independent research during undergrad and continued that research into grad school at the same school. I ended up with a BS, MS, and PhD from the same school. I never took the SAT's either. I don't test that well because of mild dyslexia and did everything I could to get out of taking standardized tests.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Standardized tests are pretty much all the same. The Princeton Review does a pretty good job of pulling them apart. I took the GRE just before it changed over to a computrer based test. It was not all that fun. If you put some effort into it, you do have enough time to prepare. I don't remember exactly what eh Princeton Review book is called - Cracinghte GRE maybe - but it is worth picking up a copy. Maybe a copy of a bunch of practice tests, too. Just like with all these tests, your score will generally go up every time you take it, so the best option is to take it (unofficially) lots before your official test date.