Quantcast

Who has told a drinking buddy that they drink too much?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am a bit of quandary. One of the people I drink with regularly is really pushing it.

No DUI or rageaholic behavior, but drinking to the point of wobbliness several nights a week seems bad. Of course, job and life prospects are not great either.

I might have one or two drinks but I do like to hang out late so I definitely feel like a drinking buddy more than some sort of interventionist. My friend has indicated a need to cut back on the drinking/pot/cigarettes.

Any suggestions? P.S. I am certainly willing to stop my drinking for a few months to help any recovery.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not much you can do, really. You can mention in passing that he's hitting it a little hard lately, and try to plan outings around non-boozing activities. That's about it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If your concerned enough to ask here....MAN UP AND TELL HIM....... he wont listen at first, but you gotta get that bug in his head so he starts to see it too.

A true friend looks out for another in a situation like this

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
not sure how easy it would be for you, but if you can just keep pranking him in his sleep. even if it takes 10 or 50 times. every time he passes out super drunk rub sh^t on his face.
I mean you really cant tell someone to stop drinking, it just doesn't work. they have to want to do it. so if you keep messin with him maybe he'll get sick of it. Never really did this but wonder if it would work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Of course you must tell him. How on earth can you miss out on such a great chance to act holier-than-thou. Practice your stern look. Make sure you use that patronising tone you've perfected here.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I never really appreciated any efforts on anyones part to "help" me with my addictions. I had to figure it out myself. I don't want to sound like an azzhole, but there is not much you can do. I could go on but I don't really feel like I am a reliable source for info on this today. Sorry.....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Of course you must tell him. How on earth can you miss out on such a great chance to act holier-than-thou. Practice your stern look. Make sure you use that patronising tone you've perfected here.
Ouchie. :rofl::rofl:

The other drinking buddy. I got that one bike lights and he does ride more instead of drinking.

Frankly, I would probably be more critical of his drinking as well, but this person is still hurting from a divorce and just got fired by his own dad over family issues.

I figure I better lay off him and just deal with my other friend.
Sounds like someones got bigger issues than the occasional over drinking. I'm gonna guess this person need professional help of some kind.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You know arrogance is not something you just turn on and off. Ask your family about that...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The other drinking buddy. I got that one bike lights and he does ride more instead of drinking.

Frankly, I would probably be more critical of his drinking as well, but this person is still hurting from a divorce and just got fired by his own dad over family issues.

I figure I better lay off him and just deal with my other friend.
In all honesty, this is even more reason you should say something. Its true, you saying something wont help, but when you add that with telling him not to come over, you dont want to hang out, you dont want to drink with him anymore etc etc.... Thats what will click the light on that something is wrong. You have to stick to your guns though, when you say your not going to drink with him.. stand by it, when he asks why, tell him.... he has a problem and your not going to contribute to it.

When someone is truly in a state of emotional despair, thats the worst time to be drinking heavily... that road goes straight into alcoholism.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You know arrogance is not something you just turn on and off. Ask your family about that...
Remember, firm but fair. And keep your eye on the real goal- the overwhelming flow of smug you'll be able to release here after you've done what you needed to do!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I never really appreciated any efforts on anyones part to "help" me with my addictions. I had to figure it out myself. I don't want to sound like an azzhole, but there is not much you can do.
Agreed.

Confronting him only makes you sound like a dick who should mind his own goddam business!

Oh, sorry, had a little flashback there.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Alright, fvck just smudging his face when he's sleeping. If you really cared about his well being you would fall asleep and spoon him every time he was drunk so when he wakes he realizes how much you care. You would think after 10 or 15 times waking up to your good friend spooning you, you would want to change your habits. But I know, that's a lot to ask of a friend.

Agreed with Angry Metal and jdcamb, just telling him about it is the wrong idea. You gotta get creative.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
To hell with the little pranks. Man up and go straight to the bark collar at level 10. After the first couple of times, tell him you only do it when he's passed out sloppy. He'll learn real fast.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I wish someone would have told me I was going way too hard when I was. I was drinking and driving home, I was super abusive to people around me, and I was pretty much loaded all the time. It mighta saved me a lot of woe down the line.

So say something to him. People don't drink like that when they're in a good way.

Now that I am at a better place in my life I can drink once or twice a week, have a good time, and I am not on the phone being a dick.

Maybe he needs to do some meetings. Really see what it is to have your life destroyed by drinking like that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wish someone would have told me I was going way too hard when I was. I was drinking and driving home, I was super abusive to people around me, and I was pretty much loaded all the time. It mighta saved me a lot of woe down the line.

So say something to him. People don't drink like that when they're in a good way.

Now that I am at a better place in my life I can drink once or twice a week, have a good time, and I am not on the phone being a dick.

Maybe he needs to do some meetings. Really see what it is to have your life destroyed by drinking like that.
Thanks.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I never really appreciated any efforts on anyones part to "help" me with my addictions. I had to figure it out myself. I don't want to sound like an azzhole, but there is not much you can do. I could go on but I don't really feel like I am a reliable source for info on this today. Sorry.....
:stupid:

It's something he'll have to figure out on his own. I speak from experience

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like you sober... :D

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Just straight out tell him. It won't necessarily change anything, but at least you will be the kind of person that speaks his mind. Tell him when he is sober. You can pretty much ignore his response, because that is not really the point.

What won't work is if you tell him this when you are both drunk. Interventions are best unslurred.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis

+1

BTW,

Who thought Dirt could sound reasonable. :confused: