Quantcast

Who here has had back surgery?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
what for, how long did it take to recover, what mobility did you gain/loose, etc...?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
January 2004 - one compression fractured vertebrae and 4 other vertebrae with "minor" fractures. Fused L2 through T11 or so, hospitalized for 7 days, walking 4 days after surgery. I think I was riding road in 8 weeks or something like that? Total recovery time was 10-12 weeks to get back to 100% or really close. Raced a full season of DH that year once I healed. Mobility loss is going to depend on what vertebrae you're getting worked on and what they are doing. I have very little loss of motion due to the placement of my fusion. No loss bending forward or backward, but I notice a little extra stretch when twisting side to side.

Let me know if you wanna know anything else!

Oh and BIRDMAN... I know you're trying to make a joke, but it's in poor taste as far as I'm concerned. And I usually like things that are in poor taste.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah it's only people that have had serious back problems can understand why it's not really that funny.

Hell i've been thru a kidney stone and i joke about that all the time. But if you made a joke at me while i was suffering from it, i'd bury a hatchet in your skull. i've had my back go out on me a few times, and i just don't joke about it.

i never had back surgery, i think i very well should have at one time. But i always managed to heal up. The first time i was down for over a month, then a few weeks. At any rate i started improving, and if i hadn't i would have gotten cut.

i heard through somewhere the idea of using silicone discs to replace herniated ones. But i don't know how far off that idea ever developed. To me that sounds like an awesome idea, new cushions.

But i know if i were in your shoes, after being down for as long as you had i'd be in line for surgery. You gotta get your life back, even if you can't bend over to tie your shoes at least you'd be able to ride a bike.

The second thing is i've heard that sometimes people still have pains after the surgery. But alot of those guys are roofers that jump back on pitched roofs and don't do any exercises so on and so forth.

i think a big part of whatever route you go is get dialed with good physical therapist. Do what he/she says when recovering and find out some stomach and back exercises for the rest of your life. And buy a back support mattress for your bed. i'm always diligint in keeping my back healthy and it works for me, i pretty much have no choice.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
My wife had surgery over a year ago.Disentigrated disks on lower spine.
Walking & lot's of pain medication still.. I think swimming helps & a comfy bed..

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm basicly disabled at this point. surgery is pretty much my only option. or suicide.....
it's been six months of this crap. putting my pants on with tongs because I can't reach my foot with my hand. I can't sit down for more then 20 minutes and if I have to sit for longer (stuck in car/traffic) I can't get back up without major pain. I can't lift anything.
My foot/leg is tingly and in pain constantly...

kinda sucks.

I'm meeting with a sturgen in the next few weeks, hopefully.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well dude, that sucks. Never had any back issues myself, but Id be begging for the knife were I in your predicament. A buddy of mine, pro dirtbike racer, was facing similar issues a few years ago and went to a chiropracter for months without any real improvement. He eventually went to see a real doctor and had surgery to fix his issues. He's 100% now, but that's all I can really relate.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm basicly disabled at this point. surgery is pretty much my only option. or suicide.....
it's been six months of this crap. putting my pants on with tongs because I can't reach my foot with my hand. I can't sit down for more then 20 minutes and if I have to sit for longer (stuck in car/traffic) I can't get back up without major pain. I can't lift anything.

kinda sucks.

I am barely hanging on too. Fuggin sucks. Don't give up.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
http://www.healingbackpain.com/
I went to see Sarno when I had bad back pain. L5S1 herniation with real bad siatica and right calf went dead and 3 toes went numb after a week of hockey camp. Now a year and half later I am at or around 100%. Glad I did not have surgery but it is best to get a MRI and see a doc.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

kinda sucks.

Sounds very familiar!!

I have had left leg/butt pain for ~ 3 years due to a L5-S1 disc issues. My first surgery was ~ 2 1/2 years ago for a micro-discectomy. Unfortunately it failed immediately and my disc re-reptured....no pain relief AT ALL!

Lots of PT, core strength work, and stretching has (was) been semi helpful for a while. I was able to ride (DH) the summer before last and felt OK for a while. That winter though (most likely due to sitting a lot, things started to move and collapse even further.

I have been talkiing to both a physiatrist and a surgeon for the last year of so and finally decided to do a fusion at that level due to continued pain as well as some mis-alignment/movement and bone on bone contact (this was the best option if I wanted to continue to be active).

The fusion went well (2 days in the hospital + 2 weeks in bed) and I was feeling great for about 2 weeks (aside from the fever and inability to eat much) then..ta da my leg pain started coming back!! Things are a little better now, but I still have quite a bit of sciatica and low back pain especially in the afternoons and into the evenings..however, I am free of the morphine for the first time in almost a year.

My surgeon still things will progress but cannot promise that I will be pain free (thinks my current pain is due to re-vascularization of the nerve root). Right now, I can swim and walk, but NOTHING that risks a fall or any lifting over 10lbs or any strenious activity for another 2 months (4 months total).

I can tell you that most docs do NOT know how to (or just refuse to) deal with chronic pain in an effective manner. The combo of 24 hr pain and narcotics can and most likely will lead to some sort of depression. I have had to make repeated calls and become quite demanding at several times to get different docs to take my situations seriously...it is a very frustrating situation..

Sorry to hear about this...wish that I had better info for you..but it seems as most of this is a crap shoot...and I keep loosing.

PM me if you want any more specific info/ Docs names/ etc.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yea, I'm a dum bass. years of beating the living crap out of my body has taught me to not go to the doctor when something hurts.....repetative injury basicly. I never thought it could get this bad. wounds usually heal. heck, my friend had brain surgery and was back to work in a month!

I seem to get stuck with the flunky doctors/PT folk.....:(

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
pnj, dang. Mine was due to a specific injury (dirtjumping) so I never had to deal with the chronic pain. I can tell you that a good friend of mine had a couple of herniated discs and was bed ridden for days at a time for a long time. He tried everything short of surgery first, and then finally went under the knife and two days later was walking around like a new man.

Keep your options open, explore every avenue, ask lots of questions and hopefully you'll get good results. Best of luck to ya!

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
I don't know what this is worth but 2 1/2 years ago I worked for a guy who had back surgery for degenerative disks. After the surgery he had alot of pain all the time and took ALOT of oxycoton and became addicted to it within a month or so.In the last 2 years he has had at least 4 more surgeries on his back and continues to have severe pain. He's no longer on oxycoton but is having a very hard time doing everyday things and hasn't worked in 2 1/2 years. He has said that once you have surgery on your back you will have problems for the rest of your life. He has also said that surgery is the last resource to use.So if you can try to find an alternate path of recovery to avoid surgery and the potential problems. I hope everything works out for you,take it easy and grt well soon.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Herniated disc October '02. Epidural Mid-03. Time until I was living without pain late 04. I still need to stretch a ton and I do occassionally get flare ups from tight muscles.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Sucks to hear man. I highly suggest that you ask as many questions as you can think of.

Ask about alternatives (surgical or not) to a fusion. There is a procedure out there known as "Dynamic Stabilization". It’s the buzz in spine right now. It's a surgical procedure, but it does not fuse you.

Of course you may eventually need to be fused, but if this can buy you a few years – it is worth it. This is important because a fusion will cause the adjacent levels to take up more of the load, and this leads to those adjacent levels degenerating faster (known as adjacent disc disease).

A “young” spine patient is typically in their late 40’s to 50’s, because most doctors do not want to fuse anyone younger (unless it’s a trauma like Full Trucker or scoliosis)

If you have to get fused - Ask about minimally invasive procedures! MIS procedures will cut your recovery time and your back will be stronger after the surgery than an open procedure. You will be back sooner and there are some that believe the MIS approach helps prolong the onset of adjacent disk disease.

Do your research on the doctors and procedures offered in your area. Get a second and even a third opinion before you decide. Anything to do with your spine is a risky situation; you want to go in fully prepared.

Here are a few patient information sites for ya:

http://www.allaboutbackandneckpain.com/ (Johnson & Johnson)
http://www.spineuniverse.com/ (Sofamor Danek #1 in spine)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, I was seeing a Physical Therapist, I've seen a few doctors, I'm currently seeing an acupncturists, I've been doing floor exercises for six months now and I'm still in serious pain.

If I try to do anything other then stand up the pain gets much worse. I can lay down for about 20 minutes, on the floor, but if I stay down too long, it's very painfull to get up.

I haven't worked in 4 weeks. no work = no money

I'm now thinking surgery... after six months of this crap.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
No turning back from surgery. Read the Sarno books. Helped me also. Try it before surgery. Keep an open mind when reading the books. I was close to surgery also because my right calf went dead. But took a chance with Sarno and now I am pain free

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ok, I got one of the Sarno books. I'm two chapters in and he hasn't really said anything usefull. He's just talked about various people who were in pain, cried, now they are not in pain.

am I to believe that the reason I'm in pain is because I am afraid to die or I was molested as a child?

To those that have benifited from his books, do you ever feel pain? if you fall off your bike and tear a hole in your knee, does it hurt?

what exactly did you do after/during reading the book to eliminate the pain?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Yes it does hurt. When I broke my foot it hurt alot but still made it down the hill and walked around a bit. "To walk it off" but I knew it was broken.
It may take some time to see what is causing the pain or it may just be an injury. I know my MRI said it was a herniation but Sarno said it was "TMS" I beleived Sarno because the last thing I wanted was back surgery at 31. My father had it and he was never the same.
When I am unhappy in a relationship and feeling traped that is when my back acts up. I have gone through this 3 times in my life and the last time was the worst.
PM me if you want.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ok, so what EXACTLY do you do to get the pain to go away?

and did you have surgery on your broken foot?

if you had an MRI for your back and it showed herniated discs, isn't that an injury?

My MRI showed a tear in the disc. I don't know if that's an hernia or not but it was definitly injured through physical acitivity. I'm having a hard time believeing that my torn disc is from hidden emotions....

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I fractured a single vertebrae between my shoulders and had no surgery in 03. Took about 6 months before I was pan free and probably another six before I was back to normal. Back use to snap crackle pop in the damaged sarea all the time but with the passing years that is barely noticable anymore.

I imagine that surgery would be worse. And yea, to all the guys that are saying back pain sucks... back pain is the WORST kind of suck. It affects every single thing you do.

FT do you remember the phrase assneck?

EDIT: Just read more of the thread... Dude, do your research, talk to lots of docs and get that shizz fixed up.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Not sure if this will help much, but...

My wife had her lowest 2 disks fused, and one "carved" to relieve pressure on her spinal cord. She was fine for 8 months or so (about 4 weeks of PT/rehab), then slowly started seeing the same symptoms... first pain/tingles in her leg, then eventually a total loss of feeling. She has since found nerve blocks (injections into her spine) to be more beneficial than the surgery. She has a pinched ciatic (or however you spell it) nerve.

My father had back surgery (though not exactly sure what)... VERY long recovery... is better than he was, though advises EVERYONE against back surgery.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
One more for Sarno here, except that instead of my back it was my hip.

Sure, I feel pain from other injuries.

If it's TMS you don't really have to do anything to make the pain go, you just have to accept that the pain is being caused by your brain trying to keep subconscious thoughts from coming to the surface. You don't have to address those issues (thought it would surely be a good idea), just accept that that's what is causing it.

The idea isn't that the torn disc is caused by emotions. Instead, the idea is that the torn disc isn't really a problem and doesn't actually cause you any pain. It's just a coincidence that you have back pain and a torn disc (yes, it sounds ridiculous). Your brain attempts to keep subconscious thoughts from coming to your awareness by distracting you with back pain. If I remember correctly it does this by cutting off oxygen to certain tissues. There was a study, I think done by Sarno, that there is a higher percentage of people that don't have back pain that do have injuries than amongst people that do have pain. All kinds of stuff, that according to what a lot of doctors say, should be near crippling, but they don't cause any problems at all.

There is a difference between intellectually understanding that TMS is the source of the pain and truly believing it, and that's where I got hung up. It all sounds great, but everyone I told about the theory basically thought it was bull****, and my doctor told me that it was caused by bursitis and would never go away, which makes it very difficult to accept. I read two of Sarno's books a couple times each and they didn't help at all. I moved to a new town so I had to get a new doctor. We were talking about something else and my hip came up. I mentioned the TMS theory and he hadn't heard of it before, but thought that it seemed valid and perfectly fit my symptoms. Apparently hearing it from a doctor was what I needed because I walked out of the office that day and haven't had any real problems since. Occasionally I'll get a twinge of pain in my hip but I just remind myself what the cause is and it'll be gone within hours if not minutes.

If possible, see if there is a TMS physician in your area. They would be able to diagnose whether your pain is being caused by TMS or a true injury that would require surgery. I'm sure the books alone are enough for some people, but there are plenty that still need to hear it from a doctor.

If you have any other questions, ask.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Bean hit the nail on the head.
I think if you gave 100 people on RM a MRI alot will have herinated discs with no pain. The difference in the brain knowing of that and causing you pain to keep the subconscious thought supressed. I is very hard to understand.
Search this forum for info. http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2
It has helped me alot.
I did not have surgery on my foot because the balance toe did not break.
If you want to call me it would be easier than to type. PM me and I will send my phone number. It is worth a shot to try this before surgery.
My back and sciatica pain was real bad and lost all calf strength.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I only got an MRI after MONTHS of ignoring the pain. telling myself it would go away and it was nothing. When the pain got to the point where I could no longer get out of bed or get dressed, I got an MRI. I had been seeing a doctor up until that point.

The pain level isn't as bad as that now, but I have stopped all physical activitys minus getting out of bed, getting dressed and driving my car. but I still have pain in my leg, lower back and foot.

So your saying I should just ignore it? I'm still confused...

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Sarno suggests not to stop acctivities because that give the "TMS" strength.
I just ignore it and tell my brain that you are not going to do this to me. Go away. I know it sounds crazy but that is what I do. The "TMS is tricky because it will try to manifest somewhere else.
I have it manifest as chest pain. Thinking I am having a heart attack.
I know it seems very crazy but it worked for me. People look cross eyed at me when I tell them this but it worked. Howard Stern swears by Sarno.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I only got an MRI after MONTHS of ignoring the pain. telling myself it would go away and it was nothing. When the pain got to the point where I could no longer get out of bed or get dressed, I got an MRI. I had been seeing a doctor up until that point.

The pain level isn't as bad as that now, but I have stopped all physical activitys minus getting out of bed, getting dressed and driving my car. but I still have pain in my leg, lower back and foot.

So your saying I should just ignore it? I'm still confused...
I recommend that you see a doctor, ideally one who specializes in TMS, but if that isn't possible, one who is just open to the idea would probably be good enough. Verify that there isn't a major injury that needs to be addressed. There's a list of physicians here, http://www.tarpityoga.com/directory.html.

You can't just ignore the pain. Acknowledge it, but remember that the pain isn't being caused by an injury, it is being caused by your brain. I think painkillers are ok, especially if they allow you to continue with normal activity.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Y'know i gotta chime in here. i'm not going to discount the importance of getting right in the skull. But let's see how ole Sarno does when he has a kidney stone shooting out his pee-hole.

Looking at this from afar i know that injuries like this take time. And unfortunately it's quite common to hear about horror stories about surgery. i do know that the stomach supports the back, that's why i do stretches and various crunches every morning. i forked over the cash into a back support mattress for my bed. And i watch how i lift when i work, and i limit my time in chairs that put strain on my back.

Diligence is what i recommend.

i would accept at face value the hindrance in healing that repressed or negative thoughts would be. But as far as the power of positive thought being the whole enchilada as a miracle cure, sounds pretty far fetched. But as a "part" of the solution, in a crippling situation, why not invest into it, not like you have anything to lose.

Hell Pat maybe you should just go to a born again church and let them bop you on the head. Just don't twist wrong when you're flopping like a fish on the floor.:clapping: :monkey:

Seriously though man, i hope you get things worked out right.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Y'know i gotta chime in here. i'm not going to discount the importance of getting right in the skull. But let's see how ole Sarno does when he has a kidney stone shooting out his pee-hole.

Looking at this from afar i know that injuries like this take time. And unfortunately it's quite common to hear about horror stories about surgery. i do know that the stomach supports the back, that's why i do stretches and various crunches every morning. i forked over the cash into a back support mattress for my bed. And i watch how i lift when i work, and i limit my time in chairs that put strain on my back.

Diligence is what i recommend.

i would accept at face value the hindrance in healing that repressed or negative thoughts would be. But as far as the power of positive thought being the whole enchilada as a miracle cure, sounds pretty far fetched. But as a "part" of the solution, in a crippling situation, why not invest into it, not like you have anything to lose.

Hell Pat maybe you should just go to a born again church and let them bop you on the head. Just don't twist wrong when you're flopping like a fish on the floor.:clapping: :monkey:

Seriously though man, i hope you get things worked out right.
Listen to the Skook. He's got it right, and he *doesn't* drink the Kool Aid...

Get better, pnj - whatever it takes.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
You guys don't know Sarno. It has nothing to do with + thought. You've got to research this, read his books, recognize that he is an established medical doctor with years and years of experience.

He got tired of ordering operations on people, dispensing pills and seeing people in constant pain. Even after therapy, operations, they had the same pain.

There was a study in Sweden. 300 people with ruptured disks were discovered with no bodily pains whatsoever. Now if they were over here, they'd have you on the operating table in 5 minutes.

It's not about positive thinking. It goes way beyond that. Research before you go under the knife, that's all I can say.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My dad has a bad back, and is reading Sarno's book now after I gave it to him. One thing he noticed right away is that all his friends who have bad back all have a different solution. One guy goes to the chiro, one uses accupuncture, one uses physical therapy, one uses a specific chiro who only works on your neck (and somehow that helps low back pain?), etc.

So my Dad reads Sarno's intro, and says, "How come if they all have bad backs, they all have totally different things that help?" It's a good question...