Quantcast

who here has tried using offset shock bushings?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm wondering if I can squeeze 3/8 of an inch (7.875 from 7.5) into my frame's stock i2i spacing by using offset shock bushings.

If you've used them, where did you get them and how did it work out?

Thanks.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I made some. There's no way you can get 3/8" out of it. About 1/8" tops.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you've got 8mm mounting bolts you can get about .14". If you've got 6mm bolts, more like .22". Total.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh, and it depends a bit on what shock you're running too. Some don't have room for really big offsets. For example, I had a bike with a Roco on it, and I couldn't get more than about .06" out of one eyelet, because the shock body got in the way.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you're in need of a 7.5x2 shock I've got a Swinger 4 way air I'm not doing anything with...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Are these offset shock bushings basically just bushings with non-concentric holes for the pivot shafts? What's stopping the bushings from rotating? Never seen/heard of these...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Are these offset shock bushings basically just bushings with non-concentric holes for the pivot shafts? What's stopping the bushings from rotating? Never seen/heard of these...
I built them in the past for a friend, he is still riding the same bike so they must work, not sure how they have never spun and shortened his eye to eye length.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The bushings shouldn't ever rotate relative to the frame. If things are working right the bushing should turn in the shock eye, not against the frame. That's the whole damn point of having a DU bushing in there.

I've used them on a couple frames now with good results. I've always just been trying to make bikes lower and slacker, not trying to use a different size shock or anything.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The bushings shouldn't ever rotate relative to the frame. If things are working right the bushing should turn in the shock eye, not against the frame. That's the whole damn point of having a DU bushing in there.
I guess this is where I'm confused.......do these offset bushings replace the standard DU bushings? DU bushings aren't supposed to rotate with respect to neither the frame nor shock....they are pressed into the shock eyelets. Whatever is inside should be rotating (reducer hardware/pivot bolt, etc.) When you say "bushing", are you referring to the hardware that rests in the DU bushing and rotates?

I was under the impression these things replace the reducer hardware that rides in the DU bushings...as that's where they're the most "meat" to have a non-concentric hole to gain/lose some length between the eyelets. How are you getting about 1/8" out of it?

I think pics would help me understand how these are working.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I guess this is where I'm confused.......do these offset bushings replace the standard DU bushings (which are pressed into the shock eyelets and don't rotate)? I was under the impression these things replace the reducer hardware that rides in the DU bushings...as that's where they're the most "meat" to have a non-concentric hole to gain/lose some length between the eyelets. How are you getting about 1/8" out of it?

I think pics would help me understand how these are working.
Right, they're in the reducers that the DU bushings ride on. I'm too lazy to pull one of my bikes apart to take pics, but just picture the steel reducer that goes into the DU bushing with the hole drilled as close to the edge as possible, rather than centered. That's all it is.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Right, they're in the reducers that the DU bushings ride on. I'm too lazy to pull one of my bikes apart to take pics, but just picture the steel reducer that goes into the DU bushing with the hole drilled as close to the edge as possible, rather than centered. That's all it is.
I think I get it. I just don't see what's stopping that from rotating. The only thing holding it in any given orientation is the torque on the pivot bolt itself, no?

For example, if you have the pivot hole in the 6:00 location (assuming the top eyelet on a near vertical shock), I can see a hard hit (read: massive bottom-out) forcing the reducer to rotate so that the pivot bolt is now at the 12:00 position. Make sense?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think I get it. I just don't see what's stopping that from rotating. The only thing holding it in any given orientation is the torque on the pivot bolt itself, no?
You've got the right picture. What's stopping it from rotating is that when you tighten the pivot bolt, the tabs on the frame will actually flex in a little and pinch the bushing there. If the bushing is made right, it'll be way easier for the DU bushing to rotate on it than it will be for it to rotate against the frame.

Trust me, it works. I've made 3 pairs for different bikes of mine. They stay put.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If the reducers are drilled to shorten the i2i the compressive force on the shock being much greater and more constant than the extension force would also keep them from rotating. If they were made to increase the i2i they'd rotate eventually, especially when you bottom out.

Interesting concept but like running a shorter i2i shock you gotta check clearances at bottom out.