Quantcast

Who is going to Massanutten, and what nights are you staying?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Team Fat Kids will be there Friday and Saturday night.

If you want to hook up to us for some real serious stupid on Saturday night, come find us. We're hard to miss, all black jerseys with a skull on the front. Our leader rides a Yeti 303 and has "the colonel" on the back of his jersey. He's a fat sack of man, hard to miss.

Last year the fun didn't stop Saturday night. Pledge initations, drinking, turkey slaps, the whole shooting match.

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
Cool the parties sound sweet.

Another boring question though, for camping folks, is there a place to shower anywhere? Just wondering, if it's wet....showers are good :-)

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Cool the parties sound sweet.

Another boring question though, for camping folks, is there a place to shower anywhere? Just wondering, if it's wet....showers are good :-)
Not sure on the showers. If you decide you dont want to camp there are tons of hotels 20-30 minutes away. I am sure one of them would allow dogs. Just google to find the exit for 81 and Rt. 33 in harrisonburg.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
The usual cookout for the usual crowed this year again...denjen, I am currently working out your request.

Thank you very much. Doesnt have to be much just a little bowl full. All of the haters can fend for themselves:biggrin:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Why is it always sunny when I am at work and rain when I am out to ride. WTF? Well I guess mud tires it is.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
Weather in the valley must be next to impossible to predict. In less than 24 hours the forecast for Saturday has gone from rain to T-storms to partly cloudy.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
crap...that top section is just plain ugly when wet! mud tires on wet rocks = no traction.
maybe i will bring my upper body armor after all :shakefist:
Massanutten is a place where mud tires would not be of any use IMO....the place drains well, the dirt is pretty course.....it wont get sloppy and gummy....maybe think about dropping a few PSI in your tires if things get real slick, depending what tires you have (if they don't flat easy).....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Between the rock garden at the top and the one at the bottom there will be mud. Trust me, I live here. Bring some tires that clear mud well. Maybe that's a better way to say it.
Run mud tires if you want to but you dont need them whatsoever.

Just because the ground is wet and there is mud that isn't cuase for mud tires. Mud tires are used in DH when nothing else will grip.....regular DH tires grip just fine there in the rain.

Just some helpful advice but do whatever floats your boat.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Good to know. I race primarily at Mt. Snow where your out on a lot of fast open ski slopes and when it rains, it turns in a real sloppy mess! I'll pack my Wet Screams to be safe though. ;)

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Run mud tires if you want to but you dont need them whatsoever.

Just because the ground is wet and there is mud that isn't cuase for mud tires. Mud tires are used in DH when nothing else will grip.....regular DH tires grip just fine there in the rain.

Just some helpful advice but do whatever floats your boat.
I guess all those years of getting paid to ride bikes for a certain Canadian company means nothing. I have no idea how I got to so many podiums or why I was given bikes, gear, and taken to some of the most beautiful places all to give my professional feedback. Have fun!!!!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I guess all those years of getting paid to ride bikes for a certain Canadian company means nothing. I have no idea how I got to so many podiums or why I was given bikes, gear, and taken to some of the most beautiful places all to give my professional feedback. Have fun!!!!!!

So...whatta ya sayin? :p

Speakin' of podiums, James from your old shop says hey! The picture of you one of them thar podiums is still hanging up in the back.....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Good to know.
Congrats on you podiums.

You still don't need mud tires at Massanutten though.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, but this is the USA. Just because you rode for a Canadian company doesn't mean you know how it works down here in the states. Let me explain:

You MUST have at least 4 pairs of extra tires, running what you've got is just not good enough.

Talking about your bike makes it go faster. If your bike out specs your competitors, stop in the middle of the trail and make sure you tell everyone how good of equipment you are riding. Extra points if you stop right before a technical section and discuss how to ride it for 20 minutes.

There are many other rules down here in the US of A, but I don't want to overwhelm you!

:D:D

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
I guess the fact that I ride at Massanutten every day meens I know nothing. I'm glad these online forums are here so I can get all this info that I guess I don't know. It's amazing RMB used to fly me out every summer to product test stuff in different conditions. Thanks for the info Mike. Next time you come up to stay with me I'll let you tell me what I need to be riding.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:I'm sure you will be able to find out what works best in my hometown and on my local trails with these forums.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I guess the fact that I ride at Massanutten every day meens I know nothing. I'm glad these online forums are here so I can get all this info that I guess I don't know. It's amazing RMB used to fly me out every summer to product test stuff in different conditions. Thanks for the info Mike. Next time you come up to stay with me I'll let you tell me what I need to be riding.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
So you ride DH every day at Massanutten....and on rainy days your DH tires are clogging up to the point where you get no traction and the wheel stops spinning.....?....

Does SBC have a pile of "dead-stock" DH mud tires they want to unload....?....

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
No, thankfully we don't have that problem here. No "DH'er" would buy anything from a shop anyway. Don't you guys all by **** online? That's where all the forums are that tell you what you need? This is why people don't like bike racers, because all I said was it's going to be raining here bring some different tires. Then some jackass has to go posting what you need and don't need. Bring whatever you want. How is that. I will never post any advice or how about anything anymore. I joined this thing to keep in touch with my friends and give the weather report in the mountains every now and then. Thanks for ruining it. I will never post anything on this forum again. I'll be at SBC the rest of the week. Stop by and say hi. I'm the tall old guy with all the tattoos. You won't miss me.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
No, thankfully we don't have that problem here. No "DH'er" would buy anything from a shop anyway. Don't you guys all by **** online? That's where all the forums are that tell you what you need? This is why people don't like bike racers, because all I said was it's going to be raining here bring some different tires. Then some jackass has to go posting what you need and don't need. Bring whatever you want. How is that. I will never post any advice or how about anything anymore. I joined this thing to keep in touch with my friends and give the weather report in the mountains every now and then. Thanks for ruining it. I will never post anything on this forum again. I'll be at SBC the rest of the week. Stop by and say hi. I'm the tall old guy with all the tattoos. You won't miss me.
I just disagree with you about mud tires that is all......no big deal.

Don't want to see my "DH racing buddys" show up with mud tires and waste a bunch of time. DH mud tires are notoriously very diffiicult to mount.....

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
It seems too frequent that someone on these forums knows more about weather trends and trail conditions hrs away from there computer than the local.
I intend to use pneumatic tires this time @ tha Nut. as I feel we all should. It is possible to beat yourself down the mt. on a rim, but who wants that?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Weather report:

Today
Cloudy. A chance of showers this morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms this afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Tonight
Showers and scattered thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Friday
Cloudy. Showers in the morning...then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Friday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday
Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
hmmm, weather.com is showing 70&#37; chance of HEAVY rain through friday afternoon then dropping down to 60% chance overnight and raining through noon-ish on saturday.
i might have to sit this one out, 8 hour round-trip drive ($90 in gas) to slide down some wet rocks....i'll see how the rain totals are looking tonight. i'd be all over it if it were a local race but i dunno about wasting all that gas to ride a river :(

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
According to Accuweather it is supposed to rain just a little bit Saturday....at 11am :rofl:

weather.com:
May 9 Tomorrow
Periods of rain with a few thunderstorms likely. High 67F. S winds shifting to NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch.
May 9 Tomorrow night
Rain showers early with clearing later at night. Low near 50F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
May 10 Saturday
Few showers. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 40s.

Accuweather:
Friday, May 9

Day High: 70°F RealFeel®: 69°F
Mostly cloudy with a couple of showers and a thunderstorm
Winds: NW at 9mph
Wind Gusts: 20 mph
Thunderstorm Probability: 30%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.11in
Amount of Rain: 0.11in

Saturday, May 10
Day High: 70°F RealFeel®: 75°F
Variable cloudiness with a passing shower
Winds: N at 4mph
Wind Gusts: 13 mph
Max UV Index: Moderate (5)
Thunderstorm Probability: 4%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.04in
Amount of Rain: 0.04in
Hours of Precipitation: 2 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 2 Hrs
Hours of Daylight: 14.1 Hrs

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
hmmm, weather.com is showing 70% chance of HEAVY rain through friday afternoon then dropping down to 60% chance overnight and raining through noon-ish on saturday.
i might have to sit this one out, 8 hour round-trip drive ($90 in gas) to slide down some wet rocks....i'll see how the rain totals are looking tonight. i'd be all over it if it were a local race but i dunno about wasting all that gas to ride a river :(
If I wasnt only 2 hours away I would be in the same boat. Not looking forward to hitting that top rock section with wet clay covered tires

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
This Afternoon: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a high near 72. South wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 9pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 58. South wind 7 to 14 mph becoming east. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between one and two inches possible.

Friday: Showers, mainly before noon. High near 68. Northwest wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Northwest wind between 3 and 8 mph.

Saturday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65. North wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Here.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
hmmm, weather.com is showing 70% chance of HEAVY rain through friday afternoon then dropping down to 60% chance overnight and raining through noon-ish on saturday.
:nopity::nopity::nopity:

[couldn't resist]