Quantcast

Who is going to the Blue Knob turned Wisp Race?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i'm planning on it. man, i'm spending a fortune on gas this year. probably skip the dual on saturday so i only make one trip up.

yeah, if the timing/scoring goes wonky again, i'll be a snowshoe/diablo series racer next year

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Our team is still deciding on where to go. We had planned on going to Pkill for the race. However, WISP is closer.

But no one is offering up any details to the WISP race so we will probably end up at Pkill. I emailed Racer's edge on the schedule and lodging. All I got was that the schedule will be posted on the site sometime and I only was told that there is a state park for camping (where? Who knows?) and onsite lodging. For me, the onsite lodging is fine. However, I have several younger teammates that can't buck up over $100 for lodging.

While I really enjoyed Massanutten and Whitetail, the total lack of information is forcing me to drive 3 extra hours to pkill. That's a lot of cash for a promoter (racer's edge) to be out considering that it's 6-10 entries that they will be out. Hint, Hint, Hint: post some details.

Tony: can you help me out here?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
From what I recall from when I went to the first race, there is a hotel just down the road. I think its a Comfort Inn, but don't quote me on that. I paid $80 for the room plus the local taxes, and that took it up to about $100 for the night. Not a bad room, but not $100 either.

The only bar in the town is down the street about a mile or so, it is also the town's only night club. This lead to us meeting some very "special" locals, gave it a nice Deliverance undertone while looking at some very nice country ass.

The race course is short, the lift is long, and the "pro shop" has 0 parts. However, the drinks are almost cheap, the girls that work there are cute, and you can chill or keep riding on your bike on the trails they have.

I had a good time. Going to CA for Nationals that weekend however (yes, I am a tool) but I'll be back in August.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
I'm not going because I'm saving my pennies and vacation hours for a possible 2 week bender this August starting with Monster Park at SS, then Windrock later that week, followed by Diablo and lots of liver battering with alcohol.

....and the timing issue and fact that Deep Creek is 3.5 hours away puts me off the idea. Did I mention I'm cheap?

CAMPING....

To camp, there's the Deep Creek state park campgrounds which are very nice. They're clean, have a beach right on the lake with boat ramp, and bath houses with good clean crappers and nice clean showers. I believe the cost is $25/night for a site and you can get them with electric too, to run your ghetto blaster boomboxes.

Definitely recommend the camping as I've been there and it was a good time without issue. You can book online but I can't remember the address. Google "maryland state campgrounds" or something along those lines. There's also camping at Swallow Falls which is probably 15 mins away from the mountain. Also nice, more woodsy, good swimming in the waterfall area.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
"From what I recall from when I went to the first race, there is a hotel just down the road. I think its a Comfort Inn, but don't quote me on that. I paid $80 for the room plus the local taxes, and that took it up to about $100 for the night. Not a bad room, but not $100 either.

The only bar in the town is down the street about a mile or so, it is also the town's only night club. This lead to us meeting some very "special" locals, gave it a nice Deliverance undertone while looking at some very nice country ass.

The race course is short, the lift is long, and the "pro shop" has 0 parts. However, the drinks are almost cheap, the girls that work there are cute, and you can chill or keep riding on your bike on the trails they have. "

Maybe while I'm there I'll peruse the lame bike shop and try to hook up with some local ho's.

Then again, maybe just a good MTB race is reason enough to go and see some good friends...

Okay Private Pyle?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Pi31412 said:
2 week bender this August starting with Monster Park at SS, then Windrock later that week, followed by Diablo .

That is a LOT of driving.

However long it takes you to get to Snowshoe, then 7 hours to get to Windrock, then 13 back to Diablo. Enjoy.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
Someone's been to the beach lately because there's clearly no shortage of sand in that someoen's lady-parts. But who wouldn't after such a fine articulate flogging?

Just leave, noname and fat-boy, ya know, if you want things to be cool.

Just go. ------------------------------>

:rofl:

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Anyway, ya'll have fun at Wisp for me. I have to work this weekend.
God, I love that course and the whole Deep Creek Lake area... plus the good times with friends there the past two years.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
God, I love that course and the whole Deep Creek Lake area... plus the good times with friends there the past two years.
Souds like a few very good reasons to take a sick day! Anyway, more races there later in the year!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:

BOOO!!!!!

Will we see you at Snowshoe next weekend?

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alright I can only go up for the day, anybody from the DC Area want to carpool to the race? I'll drive, just need the company and gas money. I plan on rolling out at 5:30-6:00AM.

Superdeft I rode it yesterday until my bike broke (haha). Its suppppppper slimmy. Very very slippery. My bike didnt stay put on any roots and some of the shutes are slick but its definatly ridable and kinda fun once you get past the wetness.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Thanks sunner et al. I am a little skeptical about the DH, may just roll up there for the DS. Who knows they're doing the slalom race?