Quantcast

Who is sick of sethman?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Personally I could care less. Or is that couldn't care less? I never can remember.

Now that I have your attention, can anybody tell me why my rear derailluer (sram x.7) doesn't like to shift off the granny gear? The cables are clean. It seems to shift nice and smooth on the work stand. But on the trail the cable goes slack and it takes a good bump to make it drop. I suspect I have sprung the return spring by whacking it on a curb a few good times.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
jdschall said:
Personally I could care less. Or is that couldn't care less? I never can remember.

Now that I have your attention, can anybody tell me why my rear derailluer (sram x.7) doesn't like to shift off the granny gear? The cables are clean. It seems to shift nice and smooth on the work stand. But on the trail the cable goes slack and it takes a good bump to make it drop. I suspect I have sprung the return spring by whacking it on a curb a few good times.
'cause SRAM sux. Take it all off your bike and smash it with a hammer. Then replace it with Shimano. || || That's my interpretation of the DVDA ad campaign shimano is running now. :p ;)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jdschall said:
Well which is it? "Could care less" or "couldn't care less"? Help a brother out? :help:
It's "couldn't." "Could care less" means you still have some degree of care left.

As far as the shifting issue goes, beats the snot out of me. I take my bike problems to the wife for fixing. :D

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
If you had a friggin single speed you wouldn't have to worry about such ****, you'd be out riding not whining :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
MunkeeHucker said:
If you had a friggin single speed you wouldn't have to worry about such ****, you'd be out riding not whining :thumb:

I have a SS and I've destroyed the BB and the cranks need replacing. Friggin single speed indeed!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
firetoole said:
I thought it was "shall not nor ever care less"

When I was just a wee lad, my dear mother took me asided and said "son, thou shallt not nor ever never listen to a duch bag" Advise as good today as ever.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Increase the cable tension by unscrewing the barrel adjuster.

As far as sethman goes, well, whining by newbies is generally ignored - I'm suprised this has caused a stir :p

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
Increase the cable tension by unscrewing the barrel adjuster.

Why would adding tension make it up-shift better? I'll try it but it doesn't make sense. It down-shifts so nice and smooth.

binary visions said:
As far as sethman goes, well, whining by newbies is generally ignored - I'm suprised this has caused a stir :p

Yeah. 2 posts? Sounds fishy to me. I could care less - but I don't.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jdschall said:
Why would adding tension make it up-shift better? I'll try it but it doesn't make sense. It down-shifts so nice and smooth.
Err, I should have clarified - that's only if you have a normal style derailleur. It's the opposite if you have rapid-rise.

If you're pushing to move the derailleur (putting tension on the cable), then increasing the tension that's already on the cable will get the derailleur to move over more when you shift. Downshifting is typically less finicky than up-shifting, so you can put a pretty good amount of tension on the cable without screwing with your downshift.

If you have rapid rise, the reverse is true - if you're letting slack out to move the derailleur off the granny gear, then you want to decrease tension on the cable to get it to move further.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
SRAM is not that rapid raise crap. you also may have to adjust your limit screw, or even your der hanger could have gotten bent. need to see it to really help
but yes adding tension to the sram will make it shift into the Larger(easier) gears in the rear

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Of the time in which one is perplexeled within the issue of caring; while vernacular varies regionally and culturally, the correct nomenclature is as such:

I care so little that if I cared any less you might become a black hole and disappear from my conception of spacetime,wherein I would enter it as well, but believe myself to be alive for a long while becuase of the logistics of light speed travel.

Hence, I could care less.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
DHS said:
but yes adding tension to the sram will make it shift into the Larger(easier) gears in the rear

That's what I'm calling a down shift. down = easier, up = harder. Just so I'm clear. The down shifting all gears is fine. Up shifting from around 3 to 9 is fine. I don't think the hanger is bent but I'll check it. It is possible since I did bend part of the parallelogram on the derailleur itself. I bent it back and it worked fine for a time.

I tried tweaking to the low adjust screw in a little (away from the wheel) not quite to the point where it won't shift up to the granny cog. I've fiddled with it all really. So that pretty much leaves replacement of the derailleur and hanger, I think. :think: Bummer.