Quantcast

who knows hookah?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
just had my first hookah experience. it tasted good, and may have aided my current case of the giggles. what's the monkey business on the subject? worth throwing down for my own?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you have a local hookah bar that is close then id go that route. if/when you actually get one, youll probably find yourself not using it much unless you have a group of people to share it with. i have a few and rarely, if ever, use it anymore

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I smoke regularly usually to wind down. More fun though when smoking socially. Hookah lounge costs were adding up. Realized quickly that for the cost of 10 lounges I could have a decent setup at home.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There is one us company that sells hookah tabaco that's flavoured like alcoholic drinks. They are amazing.

Also use coconut coals. Much cleaner smoke.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Am I the only one that thought this thread was good intel on real "hookahs"?

Imagine my surprise ... to see we're talking about those weird middle eastern commune peace pipe things.
Blehyuck. :stop:

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I spent about $100 on a setup my senior year of high school and I've used it maybe 15 times. It's spent most of the past 3 years in the back of my closet gathering dust. Although I've been to a few different hookah bars since I got it. I've thought about breaking it out a couple times in the past few months, but IMO it's not worth the mess unless you have a few people wanting to smoke.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I remember when we hit the Gulf during Desert Storm and all the squids on board rushed out and got these huge setups for wicked cheap. Claimed it as "China" and mailed them back home. :rofl:

There used to be an awesome coffee shop on Belmont that has become a hookah bar. :disgust1:

Last edited:

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I smoke hookah often. Pretty enjoyable in my opinion. Can do it inside without stinking everything up, doesnt stay on your breath, tastes great and is really relaxing.

I have this one: http://www.hookahjohn.com/MYA-QT-063.htm

Definitely good bang for your buck. Dont buy a cruddy one from the local corner store, they will just rust and fall apart. This one has lasted me years, and even with the one hose works fine for a couple of people. I have broke the base, made a new one, replaced the hose (from rust on the inside) and tried a few different bowls, and the metal piece is still in amazing condition.

Tips:
- Never put too much shisha in, fluff it, but dont let it hit the foil, if it hits the foil it will burn and taste pretty bad.
- If you get the quick light coals, wait until all the chemical is burnt off before smoking (turns all grey), also dont light it on top of the bowl. The natural coals make a difference, and in the link above he sells a natural quick light that I like a lot (I dont have a gas stove or want to use a torch).
- Pick up a phunnel or vortex bowl from the link above, the flavor is much better.

It takes time to get it right, but its much better and doesnt taste like a college dorm when you figure it out. Those are some of the most important things I think for getting good flavor though.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Also, I got the best tobacco I've had in Istanbul a year ago, just ran out, and would love to find out where I could get more. It was really, really juicy.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
http://www.maharajahookah.com/starbuzz/starbuzz-hookah-tobacco-100gm/starbuzz-cosmopolitan-flavour-100-g-/prod_169.html This is a good flavoured tabbaco brand if you want to go that way.

As for claiming it's gay - not if you try it with rum. Also coconut coal + a proper quality hookah can get you so hyperventilated you won't be able to walk. Not sure that's a good thing though.
Starbuzz is code, I reccomend the code 69.

Ive been trying tangiers, havent quite figured it out yet.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
One of my flats had a shisha pipe at Uni. I think we used it like twice ever. Once we put like a 1/4oz of weed in rather than the weird apple baccy. That was good.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I smoke hookah often. Pretty enjoyable in my opinion. Can do it inside without stinking everything up, doesnt stay on your breath, tastes great and is really relaxing.

I have this one: http://www.hookahjohn.com/MYA-QT-063.htm

Definitely good bang for your buck. Dont buy a cruddy one from the local corner store, they will just rust and fall apart. This one has lasted me years, and even with the one hose works fine for a couple of people. I have broke the base, made a new one, replaced the hose (from rust on the inside) and tried a few different bowls, and the metal piece is still in amazing condition.

Tips:
- Never put too much shisha in, fluff it, but dont let it hit the foil, if it hits the foil it will burn and taste pretty bad.
- If you get the quick light coals, wait until all the chemical is burnt off before smoking (turns all grey), also dont light it on top of the bowl. The natural coals make a difference, and in the link above he sells a natural quick light that I like a lot (I dont have a gas stove or want to use a torch).
- Pick up a phunnel or vortex bowl from the link above, the flavor is much better.

It takes time to get it right, but its much better and doesnt taste like a college dorm when you figure it out. Those are some of the most important things I think for getting good flavor though.
Wunderbar! Great post Brother. What do you like to Drink while smoking?
I like Tea.

My Favorite Memory Smokin Shisha,and there have been many.

Sorry,made an error,had to edit. Nevermind,It ain’t Important,just a thought.
Avy

Last edited: