Quantcast

Who likes Foie Gras???

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by N8 v2.0, Nov 10, 2005.

1. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 149
    Chicago Gets Worked Up Over Foie Gras
    ANNA JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - In the city once known as the world's slaughterhouse, restaurants, politicians and animal rights activists are worked up over a goose liver delicacy.

A proposed ban on foie gras has divided Chicago's fine restaurants and stirred a two-pronged debate: whether it is humane to force-feed geese and ducks to plump up their livers, and whether politicians should be telling diners what they can and cannot eat.

"Our laws are reflection of our culture, and in our culture it's not acceptable to torture small animals," said Alderman Joseph Moore, whose proposed ordinance would affect at least 19 restaurants in Chicago, by one count.

Chicago was once "hog butcher for the world," as the poet Carl Sandburg so famously put it. The vast Union Stock Yards were the setting for Upton Sinclair's muckraking novel "The Jungle," about conditions in turn-of-the-century meatpacking plants.

While that era is long gone, Chicago is still very much a city of carnivores, with its steakhouses and its Chicago-style hot dogs with all the trimmings.

"I never thought this would happen in my lifetime. It feels so politically driven," said Rick Tramonto, the chef and owner of the four-star restaurant Tru. "We're the meatpacking part of the country. We're the Midwest. We're farming states. It's strange to me that this is happening."

A City Council committee approved the ordinance last month, and the full council could vote this month. But Mayor Richard M. Daley has made it clear he does not like the idea of banning certain foods, grumbling, "Pretty soon, you can't drink."

Rich and buttery, foie gras, pronounced fwah-GRAH and French for "fat liver," often is served sliced and pan-seared, frequently with fruit or atop greens or a cut of steak or veal.

To fatten the liver of waterfowl, a tube is inserted into their throats twice a day and partially cooked corn is pumped down the esophagus. Only three foie gras farms — two in New York and one in California — operate in the United States.

"Force-feeding birds to have livers up to 10 times their size is appalling and most citizens are shocked to learn this," said Gene Bauston, president of the animal rights group Farm Sanctuary, which is part of a worldwide movement against foie gras.

But Guillermo Gonzalez, who owns operates Sonoma Foie Gras, a foie gras producer about 80 miles east of San Francisco, contends the process is not abusive.

"The images using a tube to feed is duck is not pretty, but the fact of the matter is the anatomy of ducks and geese are perfectly adaptable," he said.

Several Chicago restaurateurs oppose the ban and say they do not want politicians meddling with a product steeped in tradition. However, Charlie Trotter, Chicago's most famous chef, has stopped serving foie gras at his namesake restaurant. And Bistro Campagne's chef and co-owner Michael Altenberg also dropped the delicacy, after a customer sent him a DVD produced by an animal-rights group.

"This is outright cruelty," Altenberg said. "It's cruelty just for gluttony."

In October, a restaurant that serves foie gras, Cyrano's Bistrot, was vandalized after its owner testified against the proposed ban. A window was smashed and a door was smeared with a blood-red liquid.

California is the only state to vote to ban the force-feeding of birds to produce the gourmet liver product, passing a measure that would end the practice by 2012. Israel, the world's fourth-largest producer of foie gras, also banned production of the delicacy on the grounds of cruelty.

France has stood firm. About 80 percent of the world's foie gras comes from France. French lawmakers last month unanimously passed an amendment pronouncing foie gras part of France's cultural heritage.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. arboc!

arboc! Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    just the smell of foie gras makes me want to puke. it sort of smells like wet cat food

3. peter6061

peter6061 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    As long as they don't start going after those baby cows next, it's okay by me.

Mmmmmm, veal.

4. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    i dig foie gras.

5. amydalayna

amydalayna Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    my favorite part was: French lawmakers last month unanimously passed an amendment pronouncing foie gras part of France's cultural heritage.

force feeding birds with tubes down their necks are part of their country's heritage? a bit odd.

6. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    Organ meats are disgusting.

7. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    i disliked the lamb kidney i ate.

foie gras is tasty.

sweetbreads are ok, but in small quantities

chicken livers are ok, but i was violently ill (i thought i was gonna rupture my eardrum while puking, no lie) the last time i ate them and haven't had them since.

i've never had brain or heart or lungs or other stuff, unless you count haggis.

8. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    It's a tough one, I like the taste but don't like what it takes to produce it. On balance I am not sure it's that much worse than the treatment of all the other animals most of us eat. It's just that this particular method is easy to point to as an example of cruelty.

Everyone draws their own lines. My girl is a carnivore but won't eat duck even though she likes the taste. The reason: Ducks are cute. :rolleyes:

9. amydalayna

amydalayna Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    that's silly. not because dusk is tasty... because it is delicious... but because most animals are kinda cute. except chickens. not cute.

but i think lamb is tasty, and a little lamby is adorable.

to each his own. i buy my meat at the butcher shop, which means it is all natural.

10. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    Oh yeah, I know. But it's not a rational decision, so a rational argument doesn't work. She won't eat rabbit for the same reason. But like you said, to each his (or her) own. We gorge on lots of other cute animals instead. :thumb:

11. valve bouncer

valve bouncer Master Dildoist

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 16
    Apparently that is quite common with chicken liver. Did you eat it raw?
    Lamb kidneys:drool:
    Tongue is good too. Cow liver is OK if nice and fresh. I like the taste (same as kidneys) but not the texture.

12. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    not quite, but almost; they were seared.

the kidneys i had were lamb kidneys...they were a bit, er, crunchy at times. not my thing.

i've never had tongue; the time i wanted to order it (beef tongue burrito in the Mission district) they were out.

13. valve bouncer

valve bouncer Master Dildoist

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 16
    Yeah chicken livers have gotta be so fresh they're still clucking.
    Tongue is good. We eat corned tongue in Australia which is foul but in Japan they barbecue it in small slices (yaki-niku style if you know Japan) and it's good although a little chewy sometimes. I often eat cartlidge here both chicken (usually) and pork (ocassionally)...that's good too.

14. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    246 / 1,869
    Chicken-hater. :eviltongu

15. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    246 / 1,869
    Growing up we had tongue occasionally. Couldn't really tell it from roast beef to be honest when served up on a sammich.

16. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    246 / 1,869
    I don't like chicken liver much, but it's *the* secret ingredient in really good bolognese....... :drool:

17. laura

laura DH_Laura

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 14
    i've never had it. i'm not sure about eating an organ that removes toxins from the body. i would taste it, and probably like it, but it wouldn't become a staple even if it was affordable.

18. TN

TN Hey baby, want a hot dog?

Rep/Likes:
    96 / 812
    It is a damn goose, for crissakes.

19. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    for a wild animal (esp a bottom feeder like lobster or top of the food chain type like tuna) i would definitely not eat liver. but for a domesticated animal whose feed is controlled, it shouldn't be a big deal.

20. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    246 / 1,869
    Can you get lobster foie gras? :D

21. Mani_UT

Mani_UT Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Foie gras rules!!! With a toast and a glass of Sauternes....

Torture my ass, the animals are actually not suffering and get more or less addicted to the force feeding. They definitely have a better life than 10 000 battery chicken stuck in a dark room. Whatever.. Some people just pick the wrong battles

22. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    hey narlus I'm pretty sure sweet breads are brains so you have eaten them, on that note cabeza tacos are quite tasty, as is fois gras

23. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    the tomalley (that nasty green goop from the carapace) is the liver.

2 entries found for sweetbreads.

sweet·bread Audio pronunciation of "sweetbreads" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (swtbrd)
    n.

The thymus gland or pancreas of a young animal, especially a calf or lamb, used for food.

sweetbreads

n : edible glands of an animal [syn: sweetbread]

24. S.K.C.

S.K.C. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    I've read the article and I don't get it:

Force feeding geese = The most awful thing in the world.

Cuttin' up cattle to make steaks = Delicious!

...what about the thousands of fu@king cattle and chickens?!?!

If you're gonna get up on your corn-fed, free-range, high horse at least be consistant.:D

To the citizens of Chicago: Your tax dollars are being well spent.

...on next weeks docket: Milk Ban - The wrongful violation of a cows' body for dairy products.

25. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    Well, a lot of the people that complain about foie gras are vegan or vegetarians. But I agree, for meat eaters to complain is pretty hypocritical, it's only a matter of degree.

And I don't know about you guys but I can hear the sprouts and the wheat grass scream when they are forced to drink too much water and then ripped from their hydroponic beds. :blah:

26. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 8
    :stupid:

Absolutley nasty, especially the liver and kidneys. Why would I want to eat something that is basically a filter?

Sadly the way most food animals are kept is pretty nasty and can be considered cruel, depending on your point of view.

27. Qman

Qman Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    And it's amazing how tender the meat is when they kill 'em before they can walk....

28. MudGrrl

MudGrrl AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    being a veggie, I obviously won't touch the stuff..............

that said..
    I know of a 'vegetarian' who eats foie gras
    and she eats chicken

wtf, mate?

29. spoke80

spoke80 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have a brother who is trained in French cuisine so I dig on Foie!

One thing to try is Foie mashed potatoes, Foie and tuffles served with a fresh lobster tail in a foie lobster sause!

Sure it is pure fat but that's what makes it sooooooo good!

30. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    246 / 1,869
    Ahhhhhahahhahaha. Why even call yourself a veg if you're not? :confused:

31. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    A bit odd? That's freakin' hilarious.

32. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    Fwah Grah tastes like ass. Fatty, cholesterol filled ass.

33. Qman

Qman Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Kinda like how Tom Cruise calls himself a hetero and he's not.....
    :blah:

34. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    Well I don't agree, but if you eat sausage I guess you prefer to eat actual buttholes rather than something you think tastes like it? Yum.

35. bluebug32

bluebug32 Asshat

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    save the duckies!

36. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    I'm not down with sausages, they taste like ass. An ass stuffed with ass.

37. VDfree

VDfree Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Right-On! Chickens are the dirtiest animals in the world and we eat them like they are the best thing in the world...Ask old Perdue over in salsbury how much he pays a year in TOXIC WASTE fees.

Foie Gras is Awesome. This time of year with a little pommegranate and blood orange reduction, aged balsamic and a little Mache as a cleansing note! As rediculus as that sounds, it is true. Who cares how it is raised! We are meat eaters...we have eyes on the front of our heads, not the sides. God and/or evolution made us that way. So stop your crying and enjoy on some brioche!

38. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    VDfree, welcome to the forum. :thumb:

39. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    (btw please don't take my food posts seriously, I live w/ a professional food snob, so these things are forced upon me)

40. FlipSide

FlipSide Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 228
    Foie gras is like drinking a very good Champagne or an exceptionnaly good white wine. It's almost a life changing experience...I love it. :thumb: