Quantcast

Who likes Foie Gras???

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
I have been a chef for 20 years and food snobs have left a bitter taste in my mouth...I still own two restaurants, but I got out of the kitchen 6 months ago. The problem I have with food snobs, is that they take themselves too serious and they will rarely find anything good to say!
That would have been perfect if...that's not how I have had it prepared in the past... Food should be enjoyed, like art, with an open mind. Sure, a certain artist may not be your style, but that does not make it bad! Salmon...I hate it, but I can prepare a damn good one for the people who enjoy salmon!

Sorry, got off subject! Foie Gras is wonderful

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
VDfree said:
I have been a chef for 20 years and food snobs have left a bitter taste in my mouth...I still own two restaurants, but I got out of the kitchen 6 months ago. The problem I have with food snobs, is that they take themselves too serious and they will rarely find anything good to say!

Oh man... narlus and you ain't gonna get along at all then...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
robdamanii said:
Anyone eating duck should be subject to beatings with 1/4" braided steel cable with frayed ends.
Why, because they are cute or you have some "issues" arising from too many Disney cartoons? :blah:

Seriously, I am curious why you say that, because I don't agree. What's the difference between duck and other animals?

Oh, and welcome VDFree, good to have a pro around...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
VDfree said:
That would have been perfect if...that's not how I have had it prepared in the past... Food should be enjoyed, like art, with an open mind. Sure, a certain artist may not be your style, but that does not make it bad! Salmon...I hate it, but I can prepare a damn good one for the people who enjoy salmon!

I'm a bacon snob. :p

Welcome - glad to hear that you're free from VD. :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
and the reason is?

i love medium rare duck breast... :drool:
Best entree I've every had in my entire life was at a little trattoria in Sarzana, Italy - it was a med rare duck breast in a strawberry sauce. :drool: :drool: :drool:

My appraisal was confirmed by 3 other people eating with me.

Best entree EVER.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
personally, i enjoy most disney characters for dinner. Donald is probably my favorite, render his skin and use it to make leg confit, pan seared breast with a little maple-balsamic reduction, his bones for a delicious demi, and the rest for some pate with sherry wine and pistachio. I also enjoy bambi and thumper very much. Pumba is great in the fall and winter as well. Sebastian, from little mermaid, pooh bear, some of the fish from finding nemo. I'd love to try cooking up some Stitch with some green Mole sauce and a little watermelon and corn salsa with plenty of cilantro.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Best entree I've every had in my entire life was at a little trattoria in Sarzana, Italy - it was a med rare duck breast in a strawberry sauce. :drool: :drool: :drool:

My appraisal was confirmed by 3 other people eating with me.

Best entree EVER.
I had the same experience in Tolouse France, on tour w/ the band. We were served a full meal at the club. The duck they served was mistaken for filet mignon by a few people, super thick and tender - awesome.

:drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
best meal in paris was duck confit.

last xmas (no, i guess it was 2 ago, when we were still in ireland) we cooked roasted a duck w/ orange sauce (cointreau, orange juice and zest reduction). tasty tasty tasty! cleanup was a bit greasy though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
VDfree said:

Ok maybe "food snob" was a bit harsh.

My wife has been a server in nicer restaurants for years, she has a broad taste in food. My tastes are much narrower and simple. Compared to me most people are food snobs. Foie gras was one of those "ok I'll try it for my honey" kinda foods - didn't work for me.

Thankfully she is working at a more low key restaurant now, and only part time. Generally she is much happier and less stressed out, (and in turn we both are) Fine dining is too much ballet and long hours.

btw - salmon is the devil fish.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
OGRipper said:
Why, because they are cute or you have some "issues" arising from too many Disney cartoons? :blah:

Seriously, I am curious why you say that, because I don't agree. What's the difference between duck and other animals?

Oh, and welcome VDFree, good to have a pro around...
They're cute. And they sit on my dock and eat stale bread when I happen to have it.

No difference between them, cows and my kittens. I'm just much more attached to my kittens and the nice duckies than I am to a cow.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
robdamanii said:
They're cute. And they sit on my dock and eat stale bread when I happen to have it.

No difference between them, cows and my kittens. I'm just much more attached to my kittens and the nice duckies than I am to a cow.
that... and do you think your kitten would be all that tasty? not all that much meet on them.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Qman said:
Depends on the cat.....
who knows. fatso the cat could be delicious. but i couldn't bring myself to giving it a try.

as a kid i cried when my parents tried to get me to eat lamb. i thought it was so cruel. but now i know how delicious it can be.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
amydalayna said:
as a kid i cried when my parents tried to get me to eat lamb. i thought it was so cruel. but now i know how delicious it can be.
Parents can be evil. I walked into the barn at age 12 just in time to see the slaughterman pop a cap in the lamb I'd raised between the eyes and then they tried to get me to eat it.

The best lamb I've had was in Spain and some of the little greek joints in the Boston area do it right too.

Anyone here eaten bunny....er.....I guess that rabbits right?
"Bunnies for pets, rabbits for meat".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rabbit is delicious. it's not so popular in the US, for reasons i can't understand. had great dishes in prague and esp this italian restaurant in london. the rabbit was rolled around basically the fatty part of pancetta, and cooked w/ peppers in a sweet and sour sauce. damn was that a good meal.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
How about some roast suckling pig? :drool:
Yeah. We tried that too. The place was in Segovia which is supposed to be known for its roast suckling pig but I didn't think it was that great. One thing I know is that Rick Steves and I have very different palates. Every place we tried on his 'recommended' list was horrible. The places we happened upon ourselves were great. (Gorki in Sevilla rocks!)
I'd give the roast suckling pig another shot at a different place. We saw them in the grocery store in El Escorial. It looks like a baby pig sleeping in your standard styrofoam meat tray in plastic wrap. Kinda funny to watch Americans do a double take in the meat aisle.

Here's one I doubt some of you can beat:
Whale meat kabobs. Our host for the MTBR gathering in Norway prepared these for an evening BBQ. Kinda tastes like liver. They sell it in the grocery stores over there.
Strangely, the next morning, everyone but me and the vegetarian felt horribly ill. I may have been the only one to drink copious amounts of Aquavit after dinner though which may have killed any food demons associated with the day.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like rabbit but it's very mild and other than the loin and rear legs I don't find a lot of meat on them. Most people in the states would probably just as soon eat chicken.

As for squab, not sure it was a best meal ever but one time I was having dinner at Delfina in SF and this dude sits down alone next to me and my girl. The chef/owner comes over and sits down to talk and I realize the guy raises game birds for the restaurant. We got involved in the conversation, nice guy. Next thing I know, a server comes out with a platter of grilled squab and quail, apparently the guy brought some new samples they were working on in the kitchen while we talked. He took just a little bit and gave us the
rest, it was friggin awesome.

Never had whale though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Qman said:
<snip>

Here's one I doubt some of you can beat:
Whale meat kabobs. Our host for the MTBR gathering in Norway prepared these for an evening BBQ. Kinda tastes like liver. They sell it in the grocery stores over there.
Got me beat. When my wife and I spent the Solstice in Bodo (N of the Arctic Circle) we had pizza for dinner. :p

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Nice post count! :thumb:

it's a fun number isn't it?
If I could take credit for it, that'd be cool but through some weird web karma, it just keeps going back to that lately.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My uncle runs the lab that finds BSE in beef cattle in Alberta. (Yes, they have heads in the freezer...lots of them) and he doesn't eat filter organs.

I'm not sure if that's a rational decision or not, but since I don't much care for the taste of most filter organs, I'm cool with using that as a reason.

Roasted marrow though...ohhhh.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
That looks like foie gras on baked beans....erm...

I had this on my last winter's menu (I run a ski/mtb chalet in France):

'Panfried foie gras on grilled pear & date salad with walnut pesto & balsamic syrup'....

So nice...

If I could figure out how to post photos, I'd show you... (there is a pic on my website if you are really interested)