Quantcast

Who likes snakes?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Was out yesterday at a local park and walked by this log protruding out over the water. Kinda caught my eye since the end of it looked rather deformed but I was distracted in trying to capture a shot of a bird in a nearby bush so I kept walking.

On the way back, I looked a little closer at the "deformed log"...

...hello.

Unfortunately, that was the best shot I got before he got scared and made a hasty exit. Even this shot is a pretty big crop out of the middle of the picture.

Saw a really cool lizard, too, that faded from blue on the tail to reddish or orange on his head. He was way too skittish to grab a picture of, though.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I've been into reptiles (herpetology) for a bit.

Have had:

Amazon tree boa
Boa Constrictor (guyana red tail)
Royal Python

(pics not of mine, just not in the mood to upload pics)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
binary visions said:
Was out yesterday at a local park and walked by this log protruding out over the water. Kinda caught my eye since the end of it looked rather deformed but I was distracted in trying to capture a shot of a bird in a nearby bush so I kept walking.

On the way back, I looked a little closer at the "deformed log"...

...hello.

Unfortunately, that was the best shot I got before he got scared and made a hasty exit. Even this shot is a pretty big crop out of the middle of the picture.

Saw a really cool lizard, too, that faded from blue on the tail to reddish or orange on his head. He was way too skittish to grab a picture of, though.
better watch out for that one BV. cottonmouth

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i am pretty sure but without a clear headshape its hard to tell.

it looks like an eastern banded watersnake to me now that i blew the pic up some. They ar enot venemous but are reall pissed off and will bite/strike you.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the snake fighting the fish i nthe pic i posted is an eastern banded watersnake

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, that's definitely not a cottonmouth. At least, not like the ones we have here. And its no copperhead, so I really wouldnt sweat it. Nice pic though.
Snakes are tough because their colors vary so much from region to region. A field guide can really be pretty useless unless it has lots of examples to choose from. Id bet it's a banded watersnake as well, though the ones we have here are much lighter in color...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was thinking water snake too, though i've never seen a cottonmouth in the bush, as it were.

i used to have a boa when i was a kid; i dig snakes.

on the drive home today a hawk flew over the highway w/ a decent-sized snake in his talons.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
i was thinking water snake too, though i've never seen a cottonmouth in the bush, as it were.
I cant say that I have either, but they are notorious for dropping from branches into peoples' canoes around here. That must be some funny **** to watch people scramble to get the hell out of a snake-laden canoe. :rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
I cant say that I have either, but they are notorious for dropping from branches into peoples' canoes around here. That must be some funny **** to watch people scramble to get the hell out of a snake-laden canoe. :rofl:
Haha.. That's a great mental image.

I took a step out onto a tree protruding out near this guy and the minute his little branch vibrated he dropped off into the water and swam away. Wish I could have gotten a few more shots so I could have had positive identification. This was the biggest snake I've seen since being down here.

That's a great picture, Bushwhacker. Depth of field didn't quite catch his head but it's a nice shot :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
the soon-to-be blockbuster sequel...

SNAKES ON A CANOE!

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
binary visions said:
That's a great picture, Bushwhacker. Depth of field didn't quite catch his head but it's a nice shot :thumb:
I was hoping for better...was waiting for him to strike the lens and make me jump, but not bad for a crappy Nikon Coolpics. The vid I got was pretty sweet though.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I walked across a bridge onto some property we used to own and there was a timber rattler waiting for me. Needless to say I turned around, and we no longer own that property.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I found this one last year on my parents farm. He is definitely of the "don't mess with" variety.

East Tennesse Diamond Back Rattler:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jdschall said:
I found this one last year on my parents farm. He is definitely of the "don't mess with" variety.
Would you make that picture a little bigger? I can't quite see it ;)

J

JRB

DRB said:
Okay now I'm going to have the heeby jeebys all day.
:stupid: I f'n hate those things. We have several venomous snakes around here. Cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, coral snakes and copperheads are the ones that come to mind.

I'll download a cool pic I took of a lizard yesterday. She had dug a hole in some gravel, under a paver in a walk, to lay eggs. I don't see many of them around, so I took pics.

Pretty sure it was a TX spiny lizard.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We get lots of big black rat snakes up in N. NJ. We usually move them off the trail so they don't get squashed. These ones are around 4-5 feet long: