Quantcast

Who likes the Flaming Lips??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've really only ever heard the few songs that have been played on alternative radio, but then the other day I saw them on Austin City limits. They were pretty wild and pretty good. Holy weird, crazy, goofy, nutty stage show they put on - huge balloons flying around, fake blood on the singer, dancing mascot animals wielding big lights - confetti flying all over the place, fog machines...etc. etc......crazy - but strangely good.

So are any Monkeys fans of the Flaming Lips and if so, what CDs should I look for?

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
ahaha... Loom at my last post in the "what are you listening to" Thread.

Im currently listening to "In the Morning of Magicians"

Whooo jam band/stoner rock. I dig their sound.

Next up is Beck w/ The Flaming Lips doing "new polution"

Yeah, the new stuff is cool if you wanna zone out on canadian cough syrup, but the REAL stuff is the old days,any of these albums: In a priest driven ambulance, here it is, oh my gawd and the only song you actually need is "hell's angels cracker factory" off of telepathic surgery. They even put together an "orchestra" of cars playing their stereos in a 4 level parking garage playing different parts of a recording to make it all work on all 4 levels....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my fave lips tune is "One Million Billionth of a Second on a Sunday Morning". classic over-the-top gtr driven psych. something happened to them before _zareika_ (the 4cd, play at the same time thing) came out (or maybe it was the _Clouds Taste Metallic_ cd), and their music changed quite a bit. but still good, just a lot poppier.

i agree w/ boomerbaird; i dig the older lips more than the new lips. i actually left a lips show in '02 or so early.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
boomerbaird said:
Yeah, the new stuff is cool if you wanna zone out on canadian cough syrup, but the REAL stuff is the old days,any of these albums: In a priest driven ambulance, here it is, oh my gawd and the only song you actually need is "hell's angels cracker factory" off of telepathic surgery. They even put together an "orchestra" of cars playing their stereos in a 4 level parking garage playing different parts of a recording to make it all work on all 4 levels....
:thumb: Yes. The Flaming Lips are awsome! The did a recorded version of the orchestra of cars.. The Zaireeka album is four CD's... each CD has certain parts, like one will have drums and base, another guitar and some vox. You get four CD players and play them all at once to achieve the complete sound. The beauty of it is that since the different tracks aren't bound to time the songs change every time you play them. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i also read somewhere that they purposely put some stuff out of phase, so even if you were exactly precise w/ the 4 cd synchronization, stuff would still sound funny in parts.

"unconsciously screamin' " is another great song.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
MMcG said:
I've really only ever heard the few songs that have been played on alternative radio, but then the other day I saw them on Austin City limits. They were pretty wild and pretty good. Holy weird, crazy, goofy, nutty stage show they put on - huge balloons flying around, fake blood on the singer, dancing mascot animals wielding big lights - confetti flying all over the place, fog machines...etc. etc......crazy - but strangely good.

So are any Monkeys fans of the Flaming Lips and if so, what CDs should I look for?
When your at the cd shop ask the guy for some shrooms too, or else you might not really get the full experience......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG - start w/ _the soft bulletin_. "race for the prize" is an ace song, and that cd captures much of the vibe you're describing. i was not so much a fan of _yoshimi_ but a lot of people really dig it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I caught this episode of ACL the other night too....what a show! I am not really one for stage antics but they had the music to back it up. I too, will be checking out the recommendations in this thread. The 4 cd thing intrigues me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TN, zarreika is out of print, and to tell you the truth i don't think i've ever listened to all 4 cds of my copy (didn't have 4 cd players to play 'em simultaneously, although i think wayne intended it as a social experiment to round up 3 of yr friends and let it rip).

did anyone catch Guided By Voices on ACL? I missed that one (and the wilco broadcast too).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
TN said:
I caught this episode of ACL the other night too....what a show! I am not really one for stage antics but they had the music to back it up. I too, will be checking out the recommendations in this thread. The 4 cd thing intrigues me.

TN - who was the woman that sang along on the cover of War Pigs? That was a kick ass cover but I think it would have been even better minus the woman singing along.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
TN, zarreika is out of print, and to tell you the truth i don't think i've ever listened to all 4 cds of my copy (didn't have 4 cd players to play 'em simultaneously, although i think wayne intended it as a social experiment to round up 3 of yr friends and let it rip).
i was working at a CD store when that album came out. We had a store copy that we used. We rounded up 4 of us with CD players and had a party. It was interisting.