Quantcast

Who makes a bad ass laptop/messenger bag?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was just wondering if someone could help me out. I really need a laptop/messanger bag to bring to and from work everyday, and i really hate the generic dell one i got with my laptop.

I was looking at the oakley bag but it is sorta $$ and dont know if i want a really square profile dedicated laptop bag rather a messanger bag type thing with a laptop slot.

I also looked at timbuk2 and wasnt to into their stuff doesnt seem very "technical" just being picky...

help anyone :confused:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
im not sure if i am feeling that oakley bag, the more i look at it though, the better it looks...i think black would be in order though...

i asked because monkeys by nature are very good at cutting through the bs and recomending a good product...:thumb:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
My LBS (in NYC) has a Timbuk2 Laptop case in a couple of sizes for different lappys. Its a free standing quilted piece that you can put inside any bag that can fit it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i think that might be my route...I might grab the oakley sandbag:

Then when i carry the laptop (which is only occasionally) i can just throw it in that.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i found those sandbag things to suck. but that's just my opinion.

i like my RELoad. everything custom 'cept the dimensions:

i like it so much, i'm thinking about having one made for my g/f.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ohio said:
chromebags.com
:stupid:

The blackbox is bad ass. Looks like they may not make it this year, but you can still get them for $50 from the "back door" outlet. Easy to wear, and tough as nails.

If your looking for a backpack style, look at the blackhawk stuff. They have some sweet gear with laptop and blader pouches combined.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
im liking the looks of that ogio, more my style, im not into the hippie traditional timbuk2 style of messanger/laptop bags...just my 2 cents

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
hooples3 said:
the chrome bags are pretty insane.. they last forever too
I second that. I just won a Chrome bag (the 2nd largest messenger bag, I forget what it's called) and it's awesome, packed with amazingly useful features. It's burly, waterproof, carries a sh*tload of stuff, has the sweet seatbelt buckle on the strap for easy unloading, not to mention the one-hand tightening and loosening. Awesomely useful.

I hear the Reload bags are cool too. I used a Timbuk2 laptop bag for a while, and it's pretty nice. It doesn't seem as durable as a Chrome, and it isn't nearly as useful for bike riding. Plus, it doesn't have a strap pad. I guess it would be good for walking around though.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I think you people are crazy. Chromebags.com all the way i use mine with a laptop sleeve from them and it is perfect.

I had a timbuk2 for a long time till it got stolen and the chrome is better by far. Better all around.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
black noise said:
I second that. I just won a Chrome bag (the 2nd largest messenger bag, I forget what it's called) and it's awesome, packed with amazingly useful features.
My younger brother has the large one. If need be you could dispose of a body in it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
mobius said:
I think you people are crazy. Chromebags.com all the way i use mine with a laptop sleeve from them and it is perfect.

I had a timbuk2 for a long time till it got stolen and the chrome is better by far. Better all around.
Chrome is cool, but custom is divine.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
zo only makes bags for well known messangers now.
the boys at bailey make some sick stuff and it's the only bag you'll catch on the backs of courriers in boston. loads of pockets, nice adjustments, tough as ****, and doesn't have a silly ass buckle like a few other companies use.

bilbo

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
I have had a crumpler bag for 3 years, its still in great condition. I used to take it riding all the time, i still use it for school and travel. I put this through hell and it takes it and begs for more. great bag, i doubt anyone could destroy it.
Oh and the owner of the company and designer of the bags used to work as a bike courier and he still works closely with bike couriers for feedback on the bags
www.crumpler.com

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Brenthaven Indestructible bags, I've had mine for about 7 years and is almost as good as new and has been though hell and back, with a great warranty and great quality. Apple's official laptop bag, plus they make bags for Toshiba as well, and they look good. In other words, I can't say enough good things about them. They have some great backpack options as well.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
black noise said:
I second that. I just won a Chrome bag (the 2nd largest messenger bag, I forget what it's called) and it's awesome, packed with amazingly useful features. It's burly, waterproof, carries a sh*tload of stuff, has the sweet seatbelt buckle on the strap for easy unloading, not to mention the one-hand tightening and loosening. Awesomely useful.
I've got the citizen (medium size) and have been pretty happy with it. I will say the buckle is a total gimmick, and a little awkward when you have to carry the bag like an attache (not across the chest, but with bag at side and strap on same side shoulder). It is also very enticing to your friends who cannot help but push it, even though your work computer is inside.

Everything else about it is great, and it carries very well on a bike. Bombproof and highly recommended.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i got the briefcase from timbuktu. i hate messenger bags, and figured there would very little need for one since i don't see myself biking around town with a 1500 dollar computer strapped to my back.

this bag rocks. its huge which is good because i have to get my comp and all my school stuff in it. its super padded. its got a million pockets and zippers, it looks nice without looking too nice. i found that there isn't really a very happy medium between super fancy to super casual laptop bags.

i have to say though, if i get another laptop bag, it will be a crumpler. i love those bags.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
ohio said:
I've got the citizen (medium size) and have been pretty happy with it. I will say the buckle is a total gimmick, and a little awkward when you have to carry the bag like an attache (not across the chest, but with bag at side and strap on same side shoulder). It is also very enticing to your friends who cannot help but push it, even though your work computer is inside.

Everything else about it is great, and it carries very well on a bike. Bombproof and highly recommended.
Well, the bag is built for people who ride their bikes and put the padded part of the strap on their shoulder, which is what I do. I like the buckle, it's useful if you have a laptop, a textbook, and other heavy stuff in your bag. It is attractive to friends though.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
I have a love affair with Oakley stuff, but their backpacks aren't worth the price. The Sandbag is a piece of trash.

Get a laptop sleeve from Mountainsmith or Timbuk2 and put it in whatever bag you want.