Quantcast

Who makes a better bumper?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Back on a dual crown again for the first time in a long time. Just occurred to me how much I despised the stock fork-to-frame bumpers. Who makes a better version, anyone? I'm not even sure what the "technical" name is for em, but they suck. I think I just stuck some furniture sliders on the side of my old Demo 8's TT when I had it, but had to replace them fairly often, and they weren't quite enough.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
What do you find wrong with them?

Ah, nothing in particular, just everything in general. I don't like the "directional" design, for one, want something more like a doughnut than an egg. I also don't like how they slip down, slide around and occasionally break.
I remember someone( I THOUGHT it was LizardSkins, but apparently not)once made some decent ones that were the same diameter all the way around.
I'm looking for some right now cuz the 05 Boxxer I just picked up is lacking them. Gonna yank the ones off my WC for it and then upgrade to new ones for the WC.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've never seen any that weren't directional.
My tip is to put a TIGHT ziptie around them. This keeps them from moving which sounds like the root of some of your beefs.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've done the ziptie thing, and it did work for the most part, but I think the problem to begin with is that I push up a lot of stuff and while shoving and throwing the bike up hills/cliffs, the bumpers get moved. I remember getting lots of scrapes and annoying cuts from them. Like everywhere somehow!
And yeah, I'm being a bitch right now... ;(

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Lizardskins used to make a set that was perfectly round, havent seen them in quite some time. If it bothers you that much.... Make some. Some foam insulation, some black tape and your in business. That or maybe some old peices of tires and zip ties work well, but are a little ugly.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
clean your stantions, take some electrical tape and put a couple of wraps on the stantion then turn it over a put a couple wraps sticky side out. Slide the bumper down over the tape and it will not move around.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Lizardskins used to make a set that was perfectly round, havent seen them in quite some time. If it bothers you that much.... Make some. Some foam insulation, some black tape and your in business. That or maybe some old peices of tires and zip ties work well, but are a little ugly.

Bahahaha! JUST saw this....
And yeah, I remember the tire thing as well. I thought I'd FINALLY found a use for Nokians!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
The Fox 40 bumpers move around too. I put some old Boxxer bumpers on to replace them and had no problems since...

No help to you, just sayin'.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There is nothing wrong with the stock Boxxer bumpers. Provided you don't get any lubricant on them they will stay wherever you position them.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
But like I said, I'm in need of a few. Seems like a big hassle to call up RS for some bumpers...
But I did notice that seemed a little more snug than Zocchi ones.
I'm liking the grip idea. Full coverage, no worries at all about them moving, and even with a thicker grip I can get a few more degrees in radius.