Quantcast

Who makes a better fork then Fox/Marz/Rockshox?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
I started running a ccdb and now my front end feels like old technology. Is there any front forks out there that's better than the current stuff? What about Avalanche?

...are there any other reputable moto companies making mtb forks yet?

Ohlins really needs to make a mtb fork.

What do you guys think?

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I've heard mixed things about avalanche forks, what for are you running right now mark? Oh wait, the new BOS suspention fork looks like a nice fork, check that out too

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The avalanche are in a whole different ball game as far as feel. There are 2 settings or builds Craig can do, 1 is for FR and 1 is for race. The single damper race vs comes in at like 8.? - 9lbs so not much more than a marz. 08 version.

So if the weight isnt much of an issue then its definently a good option...
Im riding a Avy rear and a marz front, I have the anti bottom coming soon for the 888, If it works like my Hydraulic bumps on my 7u off road truck as far as build in pressure feel it'll be SICK!!!

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
The avalanche are in a whole different ball game as far as feel. There are 2 settings or builds Craig can do, 1 is for FR and 1 is for race. The single damper race vs comes in at like 8.? - 9lbs so not much more than a marz. 08 version.

So if the weight isnt much of an issue then its definently a good option...
Im riding a Avy rear and a marz front, I have the anti bottom coming soon for the 888, If it works like my Hydraulic bumps on my 7u off road truck as far as build in pressure feel it'll be SICK!!!

Funny, I was just looking at the anti bottom upgrade.... I'm really curious to see how it works. Post up when you get it!

The new marz stuff weights 8.25lb without a stem... so it's pretty heavy. Avy wouldn't be too much difference... anyone here had much time on the race version?

...ideally I want a fork that dives when you corner, doesn't bottom out, yet still sticks to the ground and sucks up rocks... also my hands are messed up, so it needs to be very supple. Does that exist?

So far I've had good luck running the older marz stuff and just dealing with constant bottom outs... but there has to be better.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the bos is the most amazing fork ever.It feels totally amazing, and does everything you want it to perfectly. I haven't ridden it, talked to anybody who's ridden it, or even actually seen it in person, but I know this to be fact. or just make a big stack of CCDB's and make it a righty fork, i bet that'd work pretty well too!

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
...ideally I want a fork that dives when you corner, doesn't bottom out, yet still sticks to the ground and sucks up rocks... also my hands are messed up, so it needs to be very supple. Does that exist? .
Get your self some old 888's or monsters.

They did exactly that. Sucked up everything and dove like hookers on NY mayors, never bottomed either.

To be honest though, boxxers ride a million times better.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Funny, I was just looking at the anti bottom upgrade.... I'm really curious to see how it works. Post up when you get it!

The new marz stuff weights 8.25lb without a stem... so it's pretty heavy. Avy wouldn't be too much difference... anyone here had much time on the race version?

...ideally I want a fork that dives when you corner, doesn't bottom out, yet still sticks to the ground and sucks up rocks... also my hands are messed up, so it needs to be very supple. Does that exist?

So far I've had good luck running the older marz stuff and just dealing with constant bottom outs... but there has to be better.
Yeah, not a problem. I will definently do a review of the anti bottoming kit when I get some ride time on it.
Sounds like the avy is the way to go for you, its a whole different monster....
My shock has been bullit proof for the past year and probably in need of servicing but doesnt feel like it! :D Still spot on.

Itll be sent back when the Jedi gets here for fitment to fit it, so I hope to have the anti bottom kit soon, craig closes for a week soon so Im hopefull it see's its way to the W. coast :D...

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007

They did exactly that. Sucked up everything and dove like hookers on NY mayors, never bottomed either.

hes been riding an older 888, mark, are you still riding the old fork or do you have a new zocchi, my fork dives like hell but rarely bottoms but it also isn't taken off the drops and jumps that you do

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca

hahha, belieive me I'm really considering it... I rode an 04 888 with the low speed compression sleeve for 4 years! In all that time I never found anything that much better.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
hes been riding an older 888, mark, are you still riding the old fork or do you have a new zocchi, my fork dives like hell but rarely bottoms but it also isn't taken off the drops and jumps that you do
I riding the new Marz WC... I don't want to say much about it... You can try it out next time I see you.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I riding the new Marz WC... I don't want to say much about it... You can try it out next time I see you.
What oil are you running, have you upped it to the max already. I'll try out the fork this weekend, post up pics of your new bike

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
As i said in a prev. thread, try the MP System for the Boxxer, the performance is awsome, there´s no more armpump, the system provides 200mm of "suck it all away from your arms" perfect damping(high and low speed)and pushes the stock system to another dimension.
It´s a complete new damping systen thst´s developed around the Boxxer (888, Manitou coming soon) with MX technology and parts from
well known suspension manufactures.
It´s a Closed cartridge that is implanted in the stock boxxer stancious and is custon tuned (shimmed and so on...) to your requirements and to match your bike´s rear end.
Thea also tune your Shock perfectly to your bike´s cinematics and your requirements.

Here in Austria almost 50% of the racers ride the MP system and maybe thea are looking for a foreign racer to support him with their technology, i´ll keep you up to date!!

Greetings, from good "old":D Europe, Cannon

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Got a link to this MP thing? Never heard of it. Would also be curious to know what others think of the BOS upgrade for Boxxers, anyone tried it?

Also what do you mean by a fork diving in corners, you mean the G force compressing it? Why is this beneficial, to lower your CofG?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

You want something that dives when you corner????

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
you must be going down really fast to feel that actual forks are not good enough. I think Rock Shox or Marzocchi have amazing products... Fox is to linear and you bottom out to much in braking bumps....

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
the bos is the most amazing fork ever. It feels totally amazing, and does everything you want it to perfectly. I haven't ridden it, talked to anybody who's ridden it, or even actually seen it in person, but I know this to be fact.
Wha-what?!?! I had to re-read this 4 times to make sure I didn't miss something.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
Avalanche is an option. Others would be Kowa, Whitebrothers, and various cartridges and tunings for pre-existing forks (Mojo, Boss, etc,.).