Quantcast

who makes a good bike trainer?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
the GF keeps bugging me to get one of these so that we can make an effort at staying in shape while the ground is covered in feet of snow. what brands should I be looking at? Will a normal size mtb rim/tire fit? Can you even get a decent workout from one of these contraptions?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Cycleops Fluid is the best.

You can get a great workout from one (although you have be able to stay in place for hour or so). Ask Amyadalya about what happened when it took a year to heal a broken arm.

In Ct, we would do twice-a-week sessions, but we had a lot of different workouts like a minute in the 53x17, then 16, 15, etc.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dfinn said:
I'm not sure I understand the difference, but I don't have a road bike.
A trainer gets the rear wheel mounted on it somehow and the whole bike is held in place while you pedal.

Rollers are simply a set of free standing rolling tubes (2x front, 2x rear) that spin freely underneath both front and rear tires, so it's up to you to maintain balance. It simulates actually riding a bike much better than a trainer does.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dfinn said:
the resistance is adjustable with a trainer correct?
yeah. you can switch the resistance. and you can always switch gears too.
make sure you get a tire with absolutely no nobbies. even the smallest of ones will be annoying.

I ride the trainer about 3 times a week and it's not so bad as long as you have some rockin music and something exciting to watch.

but as sanjuro knows.... no matter what it's going to get boring.

i'm already bored of it this season.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
amydalayna said:
I ride the trainer about 3 times a week and it's not so bad as long as you have some rockin music and something exciting to watch.

but as sanjuro knows.... no matter what it's going to get boring.

i'm already bored of it this season.
X2
I usually put a hockey game on and go at it for a period or two. its not bad, but it does get monotonous. I have to drag my trainer out of the basement sometime this week and start to work off the turkey

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Sounds good.

We actually have a pretty good spot for it in the living room where the TV will be viewable so I think it will fit and not be in the way.

About specific models, that Minoura Mag 850 is in my price range, the Cycleops one is not. Any others I should be looking at?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Echo said:
If you have access to a road bike, I'd recommend rollers.
I love rollers, well at least as much a someone can love any workout device. you don't necassarily need a road bike, I have used semi-slicks on my MTB, and back in the day I used to train on my BMX bike with comp III's.
I had a Minoura trainer for a few years, and hated it, then I got some new rollers and find that I can motivate myself to train more often, because of the rollers, I like the fact that your actually riding your bike indoors, not just pedaling, there is a lot to be said about keeping your stabilizing muscle sharp to.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
the GF isn't the most skilled bike rider and she's really just looking for a way to get exercise w/o having to leave the house. I'm not sure how she would feel about having to balance herself. Is it pretty tricky for someone who hardly ever rides?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
binary visions said:
If you can ride a bike on the road you can ride a bike on rollers...
You got that right......
looks harder than it is, back in my bmx days I even figured how to do wheelies......

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i have a Minoura. no complaints at all. and i had rollers once, but you have to pay way too much attention.

or if you have some sorta upper body injury and you want to ride, then a trainer would be better then rollers.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
douglas said:
Minoura Mag 850

just buy the cheapest slick mtn tire and you'll be good to go

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=331
I am with Douglas. The trainer he mentioned from Greenfish is the way to go for quality and price. ordering online from them was the cheapest option. Trainer with handlebar remote and the wheel block was about $130 including the shipping. And I run a Ritchey Speedmax on the rear. If money is no issue for you.....well than can I have some??? Really though, rollers are pretty cool but spendy. If you do get them maske sure someone is getting video of you while you learn to use it. You might be able to win $10 Grand on America's Funniest Videos which will more than pay for the trainer!
:cool: