Quantcast

who makes a pedal like this?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I am after a new set of flat pedals and cant find what I want.
Im after the following:

Large platform for big feet
Slim build for clearance.
Runs on bearings not bushings.
Light weight
Pins are bolted from the inside of the pedal so when I clip them on rocks its easy to replace.
Does not cost stupid money.

I like how atom labs feel but want bearings and pedals that dont rattle/wobble and fall off the axle.

Cheers.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
funn vipers, but there not lite at 540 ish grams
welgo mg1 which arent too large platform and those are stupid lite.

without spending stupid money im not sure you could get large, slim, lite, bearings, and all that.

but im no pedal expert either :)

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
I would have to say funn vipers as well you can also adjust the pins to desire.and are inexpensive to replace,i have also hit rocks pretty hard,have lost the pins but have never damaged the threads opened the holes to an oval shape but always have been able to put new pins back in,good pedal to go with.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Thats the sucker! Looks like the same body as the atomlab!
Are you sure it runs on bearings and not bushes? Any idea on durability etc?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the wah wah's have a great feel on your foot. the only pair i've ridden were on another guys bike, and he wasn't very thrilled about them. When I rode them they didn't grip very well because the pin layout was terrible. He explained it was because every time he bashed the pedal on a rock, the threads would strip on whatever pins he hit. or rather, they wouldn't strip on the pin threads, but on the pedal threads for that pin, making it impossible to replace. I would hold off on them until you find out if that problem is localized or if it happens to alot of them.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Welgo B26? The outboard side is a bushing, but mine are going on 10 years old with only small amounts of play just beginning to materialise.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
The wah wahs are really good, grippyness/thickness etc of an aircorp but with proper sealing and bearings. My last 3 pedals have been aircorps, funn vipers and the wah wahs. The wah wahs are way better than the other two. Aircorps did the usual bushing killing trick in a few weeks then flew off the spindle (they were 07 ones). Didnt like the funns, the platform felt so small you have to be really specific putting your foot back on, had a really small sweet spot it seemed. The wah wahs are just the business, really grippy, thin, large platform and a proper sealing system on them. And they are much cheaper than aircorps.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm not sure why you're so set on cartridge bearings. The use of bushings is the main reason I bought my atomlabs. When a bearing fails (and they will) the whole body falls off the spindle and you're screwed for the day/weekend. There is less to fail on a bushing setup. Even if the c-clip did fail, they are much easier to replace.
Yes they feel a tiny bit sloppy, but it really isn't something that you feel when you're actually riding the bike.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
best pedal money can buy; a lot of money. not for everyone, but for the full on pro-level racer set these things are the way to go.

pedal of choice for Fairclough, Cunningham, Bryceland, Rennie, Dirt. . . etc.

fully serviceable too.

i've got some on the way.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
You must have not read my post correctly. I said "Does not cost stupid money."
Burgtech pedals are good but in my opinion they are not more than twice as good yet they are more than twice the price of other good pedals. Also its missing some pins in the centre of the pedal!

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I like Wellgo B-54`s. Cheap, grippy and big. You can buy four pairs of those for a pair of Burgtech´s.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Also, if you bend the threads on the Wellgos, it´s really easy to drill a hole and put in a new pin/bolt from the backside.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
You must have not read my post correctly. I said "Does not cost stupid money."
Burgtech pedals are good but in my opinion they are not more than twice as good yet they are more than twice the price of other good pedals. Also its missing some pins in the centre of the pedal!
i would consider that a good thing. Too many pins = bad.

the more pins you stand on = less pressure-per-pin = less grip.

center pins are useless.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I fully understand that too many pins is a bad thing, however I want a couple of pins on the ball of my foot.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
What about the Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2? I think they're only $75 or $80 for a pair, and they're really light for flat pedals.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Jeff, when you put up your review of the kona pedals leave the weight out so people FREAK OUT.

I ride the funn vipers and they are really good, changing height of pins helps change how the pedal feels alot too. They don't screw in from the back though.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
the wah wah's have a great feel on your foot. the only pair i've ridden were on another guys bike, and he wasn't very thrilled about them. When I rode them they didn't grip very well because the pin layout was terrible. He explained it was because every time he bashed the pedal on a rock, the threads would strip on whatever pins he hit. or rather, they wouldn't strip on the pin threads, but on the pedal threads for that pin, making it impossible to replace. I would hold off on them until you find out if that problem is localized or if it happens to alot of them.
The Jacksh*t pedal from Kona had the same problem. I wouldn't expect it to be fixed.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry, these are the Wellgo's I meant. The B25s, although as others have said, Wellgo make a couple of pedals that meet all your requirements.

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Tioga MX Pro pedals---working well for my big feet.

One thing to consider about traction pin removal with pins from the inside. If you have a bent or mangled steel pin that has to go through your aluminum pedal body, the aluminum threads are going to be stripped. With a pin that is exterior mounted---the worst case is removal with vice-grips. Just one more thing to consider.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Sorry, these are the Wellgo's I meant. The B25s, although as others have said, Wellgo make a couple of pedals that meet all your requirements.

I have the same pedals. They aren't that thin but they grip pretty well and don't wobble at all. I think they are also pretty cheap.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
wellgo b-27 they are the same as the tioga mx-pro's. they last a long time. fairly light (atleast not heavy). also they are the grip kings in my book. to boot you can find they really cheap if you look hard enough. they are a bearing/bushing setup. i normally takes me over 2 years to start having a bearing problem and then i just replace it and it last 2 more years.