Quantcast

Who makes bar extensions?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hey all, i've got some 27" carbon bars that i need to be juuust a little wider -28". Who makes those extension plugs??

I know for example that our hero Aaron Gwin runs 31" wide bars- but they're Sunlines....29.5" wide unless they made him some custom ones. He for sure has alloy plugs on the grips, i'm guessing they're extension caps.

Krispy

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Can't see this working well on carbon bars. We tried it on some EA30s and they bent when we pressed them in. Partially our fault, for sure, but still not something I would do to carbon.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The ODI's are threaded.

Well, i have Deity lock on's glued on, hanging 1/2 off the bar with the inner clamp tightened and ODI aluminum bar plugs at the moment, can't get much worse! I just want to snug em up.

So yours pressed in? I could see sanding them to just the right size and bonding them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I made some with an expander wedge that worked awesome. I could maybe be persuaded to do some more.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I have made several sets of press fit bar extensions for myself and my teammate Memmelaar. just chopped up some old moto bars we got from his amazingly legendary garage known as "mantown" :rockout:and turned them down with a Lathe and kind of butted them internally... with carbon the end of the press fit portions may create a more deterimental stress riser, so making a smooth radius on the end of the plug would be advisable.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Is this the widest bar.

2011 Answer ProTaper 780 DH Handlebar

Features:

* Width: 780mm
* Weight: 335 g
* Clamp diameter: 31.8mm
* Rise: 12.5mm, 25.4mm
* UP Sweep: 4°
* Back Sweep: 8°
* Material: 7050 series alloy
* Color: Red, Gold, Black, White

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is this the widest bar.

2011 Answer ProTaper 780 DH Handlebar

Features:

* Width: 780mm
* Weight: 335 g
* Clamp diameter: 31.8mm
* Rise: 12.5mm, 25.4mm
* UP Sweep: 4°
* Back Sweep: 8°
* Material: 7050 series alloy
* Color: Red, Gold, Black, White
1. Pretty sure it's the same thing as the RF Atlas FR
2. Kore and Gravity (and maybe others) make an 800mm bar.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
snipped.

I have really liked my Answer Protapers @780, they do feel quite similar to the RF atlas FR i had prior.

I endorse HAB's expanding plug idea for this application.
(Dave, email me, I told that frame i would find it a good home, it has been languishing in a box for too long, it looks sad.)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
snipped.

I have really liked my Answer Protapers @780, they do feel quite similar to the RF atlas FR i had prior.

I endorse HAB's expanding plug idea for this application.
(Dave, email me, I told that frame i would find it a good home, it has been languishing in a box for too long, it looks sad.)
Done. Thanks man.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Thanks guys.

I have a pair of Race Face Sixc bars too, on another bike.

I happened across these Hi rise Easton XC bars (not SL) that are perfect for my 20lb BMX hardtail racebike. Except that they're 27"

The Eastons are actually pretty smooth and consistently round on the inside compared to the RF and most others that are pretty lumpy.

I think i'll cut down some old moto bars and take them to the lathe.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Have you considered having someone make them for you? I've had 3 pairs made now, all by different people. Its quick easy work for them as long as you provide ID and OD measurements, and the going rate has been about the price of a 6-pack microbrew. The last set I had made were 1" extensions for my Edge bars, pre-DH model. They were such a perfect fit that I didn't need glue.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
mmmm love these carbon pro tapers on my trail bike, just about 29 inches all said and done with the grip lock ons.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Does extending carbon bars alarm anyone else? -I'm talking about the increased leverage on the bars. I'm all about modifying/making things and using what I have, but the bar extansion thing seems a bit scary. Maybe you guys know more about what the carbon bars are capable of withstanding.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Does extending carbon bars alarm anyone else? -I'm talking about the increased leverage on the bars. I'm all about modifying/making things and using what I have, but the bar extansion thing seems a bit scary. Maybe you guys know more about what the carbon bars are capable of withstanding.
No, you're right it's not a good idea:D

I figure, i'm light, the BMX track is all about pumping/manualing anyway, and i hold on right at the inner flange of my grips, which is nearly the same place as hanging my hands on the outer edge of my grips on 27" wide bars.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
No, you're right it's not a good idea:D

I figure, i'm light, the BMX track is all about pumping/manualing anyway, and i hold on right at the inner flange of my grips, which is nearly the same place as hanging my hands on the outer edge of my grips on 27" wide bars.
That makes sense, just curious- I'm new to carbon!
I'm riding carbon cranks for the first time, and have been impressed with how stiff they are- hopefully they last!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I just saw that "edge composites" now called "enve composites" is making a DH bar. THey're wide and not cheap.

Zak

Chimp
Dec 10, 2010
Kris - email Jordan, he'll let you in on his bar widening technique. Several of us have been running extended carbon bars for a season with no problems, and it costs less than $1.

-Z

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Boobar comes in at 810mm. Had to cut them to 30"...doesn't seem like much, but the difference between huge and really huge was an inch. Kinda like when you're dealing with a cervix. ;)