Quantcast

Who makes good luggage?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need some. Wife wants some fancy shit she keeps hearing about on her podcasts. I think she wants it because podcasts. I don't think we travel enough for $250/pop suitcases, but I also don't want to pay ANY money for shitty luggage. My parents got me some terrible american tourister stuff in college and it both started and ended as garbage.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Used samsonite, put it through bed bug disinfectanting first. Only reason we have any new stuff is because LUV killed some bags and gave us new stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I really like the MX bag I have. It can fit a shit ton of crap into it and has wheels. It even has a handy change pad thing to stand on and get nekkid trailside. Probably too big for plane luggage though?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
We like the extra light soft sided roller Samsonite varieties. Costco, when they have them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got a two-for-one on american tourster or some shit at Fred Meyers (Frys, Kroger, etc.) with lifetime warranty so I saved the tag and I'll just bring that **** back when it busts. I already used it to haul 19" car wheels from Texas.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
As the guy who literally travels for a living:

Briggs and Riley. End of story. The guarantee is real. I lost a wheel off a bag, dragged it across Baghdad international airport full of heavy kit, abrading half the bottom off, and they didn't bat an eye repairing it for free. And I kind of love that they repaired it.

That one lost wheel was the only problem I've had in 14 years of international luggage abuse.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
This one has lasted me 10years of full time across the globe travel in planes, cars and boats in all climates and conditions.

Its got a hard bottom so your stuff is protected, its big enough to haul all my stuff, has nice compartments and big ass rollerblade wheels that will roll over any terrain.

The only downside is that its not entirely waterproof but Ive had it on the back of a truck in the Norwegian rains for hours and my stuff was fine.

14B0031C-8CD8-4C86-BC98-F419096B4425.jpeg

I only bought a new one because I ran over it with a machine and tore the fabric.
Figured Id try a waterproof one from TNF, which has been good but not nearly as solid as the Ogio bag...

F02B1E1A-F46A-48D4-8F01-572CEAE3B3F3.jpeg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As the guy who literally travels for a living:

Briggs and Riley. End of story. The guarantee is real. I lost a wheel off a bag, dragged it across Baghdad international airport full of heavy kit, abrading half the bottom off, and they didn't bat an eye repairing it for free. And I kind of love that they repaired it.

That one lost wheel was the only problem I've had in 14 years of international luggage abuse.
Thank you for an actual tip. As much as I enjoy dealing with bedbugs, what the fuck?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This one has lasted me 10years of full time across the globe travel in planes, cars and boats in all climates and conditions.

Its got a hard bottom so your stuff is protected, its big enough to haul all my stuff, has nice compartments and big ass rollerblade wheels that will roll over any terrain.

The only downside is that its not entirely waterproof but Ive had it on the back of a truck in the Norwegian rains for hours and my stuff was fine.

View attachment 139870

I only bought a new one because I ran over it with a machine and tore the fabric.
Figured Id try a waterproof one from TNF, which has been good but not nearly as solid as the Ogio bag...

View attachment 139872
i've heard a lot of good about the ogio 9800 as well. including a few folks that travel with the UCI circus.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I have an old Ogio that I like as well, and which has been very durable (had it since 2003, iirc). But when juggling multiple kids/strollers/etc. it's easier to manage a 4 wheel rolling suitcase than the 2 wheeled Ogio.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I have an old Ogio that I like as well, and which has been very durable (had it since 2003, iirc). But when juggling multiple kids/strollers/etc. it's easier to manage a 4 wheel rolling suitcase than the 2 wheeled Ogio.
My ex swore by 4 wheelers. Until we had to walk down a cobble stone/gravel path to get to our hotel...

When I close my eyes and concentrate I can still hear her yelling at me :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
:fancy:

Spendy but I like the look of it and made in US always carries a price premium.
Very spendy, but it depends on your approach. There's value in disposable, replaceable stuff, too. But in the end, the cost over the long, long life of the bag is really pretty minimal, and if you're depending on it professionally, it's worth it. Not what everyone needs, for sure!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also a tip: hard-sided luggage tough enough not to break is way too heavy for general purposes. Lightweight, semi-hard sided stuff can and will break with abuse. Soft-sided luggage won't break, and I've never seen quality soft-sided luggage tear under the worst of conditions.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And for a one-time use, even. Likely not to be too much travel in his future, lol.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just use a trash bag like everyone does up here in alaska. If you want to be fancy, plastic tote.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, yeah...my late 90s EagleCreek travel backpack had also survived an insane amount of shit and been warrantied too...

Can't speak for newer stuff but that thing is bomber.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Briggs and Riley. End of story.
Also a tip: hard-sided luggage tough enough not to break is way too heavy for general purposes. Lightweight, semi-hard sided stuff can and will break with abuse. Soft-sided luggage won't break, and I've never seen quality soft-sided luggage tear under the worst of conditions.
Yeah that depends on a lot of factors.
I agree its heavier but not by much. The little bit of extra weight is well worth it for me.

The bag I posted earlier has a hard bottom and it lasted over 10 years (year round) of heavy abuse in extreme climates and conditions until I drove over it with a sand dumper.

It also comes at under a third of the price of a Briggs and Riley bag in the same category and unlike you Ive never lost a wheel and had to get my bag fixed at an airport.

For someone like OP who rarely travels and will use it maybe a handful of times I think its a bit rediculous to buy something that expensive when theres way cheaper options, that are just as good but maybe a little bit heavier.

Just my 0.2 though.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah I just want something that I can expect to buy once (now) and not need to buy again, basically ever. I will likely use it once a year for the next 5 years, then increasing beyond that. Our carry-ons get regular use, checked bags less so. Checked bags get TSA abuse, whereas carryons get hauled through an airport, so there's something to be said about quality on both sides. I don't intend on traveling to baghdad, but hauling two bags across the cobbles of south boston certainly didn't help the longevity of my AT luggage.

Basically wifey wants the inta-famous Away luggage, and I want to make sure it isn't shite.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Oh, yeah...my late 90s EagleCreek travel backpack had also survived an insane amount of shit and been warrantied too...

Can't speak for newer stuff but that thing is bomber.
this-my wife got one in the mid-90s in college and I hijacked it and have used it on every trip I've taken over the past 20+ years. that thing's great.