Quantcast

Who makes left hand drive disc hubs?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The title says it all. I ran a search but didn't hit any results. Does anybody know? I suspect the KHE coaster can be adapted, and I know a roller-clutch hub can be swapped by reversing the bearing, but I don't know any others for sure.

Anybody know a good left-drive MTB hub with a disc mount? I suspect this is a rarity because the disc mounts don't usually exist on the right. Any hub which can be rebuilt to LHD is welcome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i know i've seen a few bmx hubs that had the driver machined in a way that you could change the orientation of the pawls so you could switch between left and right side drive. haven't seen this on an mtb tho.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Flip flop hub and thread an adapter. You would probably have to find a old Formula brake rotor to accept the diameter of the adapter.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Eastern definitely did this, but I can't seem to find any link to it. I'd email them, I doubt they sold very many, they have some left.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Oops, there aren't any that work on the right side. I don't know my lefts and rights :)

seems to me that you could just flip a regular caliper upside down and use a hose with a banjo fittting to eliminate the loop....

(edit: the above refers to a post mount caliper...)

(double edit: i guess the clamping surface of the rotor and the pistons probably won't perfectly align?)

Last edited:

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
That's an idea. Mount the caliper backward, maybe a Hope mini mono has the ability to reroute the hydro line in a way that could work. Might gitter done. I don't know how to work out the drive side. Maybe freewheel disc track hub (wierd) w/ a southpaw freewheel and lockring...

I dunno, to much work. Disc brake MTB is probably not the best for grinding stuff anyway. Just get a BMX? Better tool for the job.