Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
140 or 150mm travel
air-sprung
tapered steerer
20mm thru axle
travel adjust preferred, but not mandatory

I thought the RockShox Revelation fit the bill, but after checking out their website it appears to be lacking the tapered steerer. Anybody got some ideas for me?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
sorry I cant really help you but you do know that you could run a different headset and run just a regular 1/1/8 steerer right ?

Thought I just say that in case you didnt realized

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Fox Float or Talas 36. You can change the travel of the float internally and the Talas has the external adjustment. Plus the fox air forks feel amazing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
did you really just recommend a magura fork? :twitch:

I have one of those travel adjust air revelations 120-150mm thru axle and have had nothing but problems with the travel adjust and lock out feature. I'm on the 3rd one so far...:rant:
I've got an older model (08 i think) that's non travel adjust but is air sprung and has lockout and i absolutely love it.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I'm running my Fox 36 Float RC2 taper, lowered to 150mm internally (you can do 10mm increments using the Fox travel spacers)

feels very plush, handles the big hits without flinching, and feels incredibly solid during abusive and heavy braking, compared to the lighter Fox 32 or RS Rev forks

of course its heavier than 32 or Rev, but in my opinion the trade off in performance and structural intergrity is well worth some grammes :)

I've owned 2 different 36 Talas forks (2009 and 2010) and would not go there again, found them sticky on the small bumps and the travel settings are inconsistent in terms of spring rate and performance

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have 2 friends with Wotans and one friend with an Odin Shock. Whats wrong with them? They seem really happy with theirs.
they're prone to blowing up. ask dropmachine.

supposedly they're great when they work, but reliability isn't their strong point.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
they're prone to blowing up. ask dropmachine.

supposedly they're great when they work, but reliability isn't their strong point.
they also have mediocre damping, with ineffective adjustments to match, and more bushingslop out of the box then a *WELL* broken in 2008 marzocchi 66. And the travel adjust is a joke.

I don't really hate magura in any way. They have great customer service, its just the *brand new* wotan my roommate got, coupled with the *brand new* thor a customer just bought really didn't sell me on them. They somehow managed to be very sticky and very sloppy at the same time, like having sex with an 80 year old hooker, and the damping adjustments didn't make a difference. The airspring felt like poop, and it was almost impossible to dial in the correct pressure, and the travel adjust made the fork slightly softer, with slow position sensitive rebound off the top. Which made an already sloppy fork sloppier.

Rant off. There are two of good options out there - fox 160 talas rlc, and the revelation

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I just got a better idea - that bos 2012 topic that keeps poping out. Isn't their 140/160/170mm fork air sprung? It goes with tapered for this/next year. If not FOX 36 + Avy? ;)

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I have 2 friends with Wotans and one friend with an Odin Shock. Whats wrong with them? They seem really happy with theirs.
German bike parts are the equivalent of the American car market... except that the quality isn't reflective of the price and there isn't a truck and suv sector of bikes.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
German bike parts are the equivalent of the American car market... except that the quality isn't reflective of the price and there isn't a truck and suv sector of bikes.
thats not true
there ARE some really excellent products out there from german companies.
just not forks.

i really like syntace stuff, ergon grips and to a certain extent nicolai. :)
and there are more :)

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
check german cars.. if some bike parts lack quality but it is not too late ;)

schwalbe, NC-17 are pretty nice stuffs for me, dont forget continental. What it makes good quality, it needs investment & engineering. If car parts distributors can do well for german cars, so Im not worried.

Re suv, truck, it is disappearing along with heavy bikes :D There you see hybrid suvs instead etc

Last edited: