Quantcast

Who owns a Les Paul?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
naming anything, including yr pecker, is extremely gay.
Agreed.

I have an Epihone Les Paul clone. I call it, "My Guitar".

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Don't own one. Can't play one. But I think they are badass guitars. The only other guitar that is more badass is a tie between a flying V or a SG.
SG wins out slightly because of Angus plays one....

narlus said:
What if someone names it for you?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
jdcamb said:
Don't own one. Can't play one. But I think they are badass guitars. The only other guitar that is more badass is a tie between a flying V or a SG.
SG wins out slightly because of Angus plays one....

What if someone names it for you?
That works....I don't name all of them....

I love the Flying 'V'

the SG's are fun, great tone.....

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
'81 Les Paul Custom - TV Yellow. Unoffically named Mean Eugene when I was considering starting a band called Mean Eugene and the Stereophonic Bassethounds, but it never really took off.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i wanted to start a band called "Herbert Hoover and the Crash".

and no, i don't own one. i've always wanted a Strat (amurrican made)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i'm a telecaster guy myself, 72 thinline reissue, and no, i've never named any of my guitars... i'm constantly fighting with the instrument and one of us is either bleeding or broken, we're not close enough for me to assign a name.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Echo said:
My guitar player plays a Les Paul custom. I'm not aware of any name being bestowed upon it though.
My band has two guitar players. One plays a blood red Les Paul Studio, the other plays a custom made strat style guitar made from Warmoth parts.

http://www.warmoth.com/

I don't think they's ever named their guitars.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't have a Les Paul, but I sure wish I had a Les Bian - you bet I'd name her!

<rimshot>

...crickets chirping...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SS plays guitar in his short shorts?

You learn something new every day.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
sirknight6 said:
I heard those are nice acoustics....
Seagulls are great guitars for the money. As mine ages it keeps sounding better and better (which is true with any acoustic). I've played some $1000 Taylors that sound just as nice as my $300 Seagull.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well, here is the update to the les Paul story. I used to have, and just got back from my brother ( :think: That would be still have then doesn’t it?) an 2001, Epiphone LTD Less Paul. Sweet guitar…..Now here is the kicker, I had 2 years earlier replaced the pickups with EMG’s. The 81’s and 85’s, active….essentially what they call the Zack Wylde set.

This thing is a BEAST!!! I’ll get a pic of her posted later on…If you have an Epi Les Paul and want to kick it up a notch, get these pickups…OMG!! :eek: they are absolutely HUGE!!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
sirknight6 said:
Well, here is the update to the les Paul story. I used to have, and just got back from my brother ( :think: That would be still have then doesn’t it?) an 2001, Epiphone LTD Less Paul. Sweet guitar…..Now here is the kicker, I had 2 years earlier replaced the pickups with EMG’s. The 81’s and 85’s, active….essentially what they call the Zack Wylde set.

This thing is a BEAST!!! I’ll get a pic of her posted later on…If you have an Epi Les Paul and want to kick it up a notch, get these pickups…OMG!! :eek: they are absolutely HUGE!!!
I'm always tempted to try the Zach W. LP. Now I'll have to take it down and give it a try. Sounds awesome.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater. You ladies play your cards right you just might get to meet the whole gang.
There you have it.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
bluebug32 said:
I'm always tempted to try the Zach W. LP. Now I'll have to take it down and give it a try. Sounds awesome.
For classic rock, the ZW isn't really the ticket. ZW is more for metal.

However, a fig top with 60's vintage top and SD APS-1 Alnico Pro II pickups will ROCK for classic rock etc style playing.

Burstbuckers are nice too...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
robdamanii said:

However, a fig top with 60's vintage top and SD APS-1 Alnico Pro II pickups will ROCK for classic rock etc style playing.

It’s funny you mentioned that, because the Burstbucker pickups are very versatile. I dare say, I can get a great “metal tone” out of them that sounds very close to the actives of the EMG’s.

That is the one complaint I have heard about them (EMG’s) is the fact that if played clear, they still want to scream on you. I have found no truth to that, as I ratchet back the gain on the amp considerably, otherwise, those pickups absolutely go nuclear!! :eek:

The fact remains though, those EMG’s are made for killer distortion and response, and wreak havoc on preamps everywhere….How cool!!! :thumb:

The Zach Wylde Paul’s are friggin sweet!!!!!! I only have one complaint about them, I’d prefer to have a different color selection other than Zack Wylde colors and bulseye type guitar….in other words, more finishes. I like the idea of the back of the neck not being lacquered, as the natural oils of the hand do a great job of making an unfinished neck silky smooth, and fast as hell.

The Epi plays real well, and for a smaller budget, that guitar with the EMG’s and maybe some Schaller tuners, is an awesome substitute for a fraction of the cost. But don’t believe everything you here, there is nothing like the original, and if you play one, you can just feel the difference in craftsmanship.

I’d like to buy an older Paul and slap those EMG’s in it……that would be fun.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
robdamanii said:

What, I can't be metal? ;)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
bluebug32 said:
What, I can't be metal? ;)
The ZW can be for metal or rock....but the softer rock styles it can be a bit difficult to contain..However, I personally believe it’s not the pick-ups, it’s the player, because once you here the tone of the pick-ups through a good amp, one can loose control and go over the top rather quickly, something unheard of in guitar players….:rolleyes:

:p :D

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
sirknight6 said:
It’s funny you mentioned that, because the Burstbucker pickups are very versatile. I dare say, I can get a great “metal tone” out of them that sounds very close to the actives of the EMG’s.

That is the one complaint I have heard about them (EMG’s) is the fact that if played clear, they still want to scream on you. I have found no truth to that, as I ratchet back the gain on the amp considerably, otherwise, those pickups absolutely go nuclear!! :eek:

The fact remains though, those EMG’s are made for killer distortion and response, and wreak havoc on preamps everywhere….How cool!!! :thumb:
I love the BBs in my JP. Great tone out of them, and not nearly as muddy as some of the others out there.

Since I really don't play a lot of high distortion stuff, the EMGs would make life difficult for me and my mellowness.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:

The first time I heard that record was through Pantera's PA during sound check. It really must be experienced at very high volume.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
robdamanii said:
On my coffee table, I seem to recall seeing AC/DC, Aerosmith, Velvet Revolver and Guns 'N Roses tabs.

:eviltongu
In your CD player I seem to recall Howie Day, the Calling, Michelle Branch and the complete collection of Billy Joel.

It doesn't get more pop than that ;)