Quantcast

Who paints your helmet?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was debating having a helmet or two painted this year.
Anyone know someone good?
Do they know what they're doing?

And isn't there an issue with paint on the helmets surface?

Edumacate me.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Right now I'm having my brother do a Troy Lee D2 helmet for me. It's his first bicycle helmet but I imagine it'll turn out pretty nice. His usual canvas is hot rod cars and he has done work for the likes of Chip Foose so I'm excited to see what he sends me. I've always been very impressed with his airbrush work. Anyway he's thinking about doing helmets as a side job and I should have pics within a couple weeks, i'll post them on here when i get them.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
As far as I know, you need to prep the helmet first- sanding off the existing paint and things like that.
no, you do not need to sand the existing paint off. not sure why this is always brought up or who started the myth but it's nonsense. All you need to do is scuff the surface to knock down the shine with some wet 400-800 sandpaper and maybe a scotchbrite pad. total sanding time for a D2 should be less than 15 minutes. Use a couple coats of a good epoxy or self-etch primer and you should be good to go. any visible factory graphics can be sanded out after priming giving you a smooth surface on which to paint.

proper automotive finishes are meant to coated plastic, metal, fiberglass, etc. they won't destroy or weaken your helmet in any way (but they will void the warranty of course). Spray paint isn't automotive paint and should be used only if your intention is to make your helmet look like a 3rd grade art project.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
no, you do not need to sand the existing paint off. not sure why this is always brought up or who started the myth but it's nonsense. All you need to do is scuff the surface to knock down the shine with some wet 400-800 sandpaper and maybe a scotchbrite pad. total sanding time for a D2 should be less than 15 minutes. Use a couple coats of a good epoxy or self-etch primer and you should be good to go. any visible factory graphics can be sanded out after priming giving you a smooth surface on which to paint.

proper automotive finishes are meant to coated plastic, metal, fiberglass, etc. they won't destroy or weaken your helmet in any way (but they will void the warranty of course). Spray paint isn't automotive paint and should be used only if your intention is to make your helmet look like a 3rd grade art project.
yup!
and if you want the graphics off a carbon D2...u can have it to bare carbon with 400grit in minutes. the graphics aren't as far down as one would think. the only thing i strip completely is the visor. stupid tld crap paint flakes off.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Spray paint isn't automotive paint and should be used only if your intention is to make your helmet look like a 3rd grade art project.
The results certainly could be improved with airbrushing instead of rattle cans, but I'd hardly call this a third grade art project. It's all about the effort that's put into it. This is also a very bad picture, the colors are way off.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you can get decent artwork (to a point) with a rattle can, but you can't come close to the finish of a urethane clear coat which, by the way, is not compatible with the paint in the rattle can. it'll wrinkle it up wreck your work in no time. Clear coating is what gives paintjobs their depth and shine, like there's a thin layer of glass over the top. It also makes them extremely durable a uv resistant:

i've seen that helmet somewhere:think:...:lighten:...:biggrin:
with a matching Sunday...

as for me, well once i decide on a sick design, my friend Mike paints mine...
he airbrushes surfboards, helmets, whatever... and from the time we've spent airbrushing all my boards, i know we have everything availible and he does an awesome job... i'll try to find some pics of his work...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I normally put painting helmets in the same realm as obsessing over the color of your grips or bashguard but this one looks pretty damn cool.

It says "freedom, guns, and pbr" all in one thin clearcoated statement.

What would you charge for some airbrushed topless chicks riding on dragons with laser beams coming out of their eyes (the chicks) and gold embossed "DORK" accross the back?

I am in no way shape or form being sarcastic.

Edit:
Oooh wait.

Now I'm torn........

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I just wanted to get a unicorn barfing out glitter onto the head of Strawberry Shortcake while she does somethings to her self that aren't exactly ridemonkey approved.

Is that so wrong?