Quantcast

Who plays the Djembe? Help please

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
I plan on buying a Djembe drum next month and can't decide what I want. I want something from the Ivory Coast but it's so expensive. Anyone have any suggestions? I want something with a 24/11-12, or 25/12-13. There is this one website called Sageman but I don't know what mahogony drums sound like?

Heres two drums I found, if you play..... let me know what you think.... please.

Sageman
wwdrums

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
me and some buddies used to make those things...man we would spend over 150 hours building them by hand...damn they sounded good though. ours sold locally for around 300 bucks.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Let me ask a friend of mine. He is a much better drummer than me and knows more about drums as well. He just got a new one that sounds amazing... deep and rich. He's coming by tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'll ask him to make some suggestions.

I can say that from my limited experience that I like natural skins best, they sound warmer, and richer. I like big deep, booming drums.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Hey Ciaran, if you talk to your friend ask him if that drum is decent for someone just starting....haha. I do plan on going to Africa next Summer to learn more about the culture and the music there. There is a compound,Jobarteh Kunda , that if you pay them they'll take care of you and get you taxi rides and such. Also teach you about the music, and give you lessons.
this drum

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Also, PM golgiaparatus, he's a drummer who can give far better suggestions than I. And look into taking a drumming class at your local community college.