Quantcast

Who Rides a Mini MX?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I just got one today, should be in by the end of the week.
I'm stoked to get it and ride the hell out of it! :rofl:

I ordered up this one:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No body with dignity. Sorry, I still fail to understand the concept when it cost as much as my full size mx.

I guess I would consider it if thy were like $200 or somthing.

If you want to goof on mini bikes, check out the Portland ZooBomb.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
jimmydean said:
No body with dignity. Sorry, I still fail to understand the concept when it cost as much as my full size mx.

I guess I would consider it if thy were like $200 or somthing.

If you want to goof on mini bikes, check out the Portland ZooBomb.
Actually it doesn't. Maybe a used quite frequently full size Mx that's pretty old. A New Kx250 runs about 5k or more...Fully tuned and customized. That Mini was no where near that.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Husaberg fc400 was $1200. You can get a zoobomber bike to use for the day free from "the pile" outside of Roco's pizza.

<edit> I have no idea where you would ride it either. I wouldn't take it to Sand Lake, or to Bend, or to Browns Camp.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
jimmydean said:
No body with dignity.
Well if that's the case, I guess you can scratch Brian Lopes, Steve Peat, Sam Hill, Greg Minaar and others off that list then. Have you seen any MTB Movies? While these guys also ride the big MX bikes, There are many out there showing these guys riding minis.
Starting with the First examples I can think of is in Fundamentals, Chain Reaction III and MANY others :clue:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
bpatterson6 said:
Well if that's the case, I guess you can scratch Brian Lopes, Steve Peat, Sam Hill, Greg Minaar and others off that list then. Have you seen any MTB Movies? While these guys also ride the big MX bikes, There are many out there showing these guys riding minis.
Starting with the First examples I can think of is in Fundamentals, Chain Reaction III and MANY others :clue:
Ok, you have a point there. But as i said earlier, I don't see the point when the cost is more than I spend on my full sized bike.

Now if I made a ton of cash and was shooting a film, you could be I would goof on one. But when I work for a living and have limited free time and cash to ride either my bike or my moto, I fail to see the point.

But for now, if I had a spare $1000 (or more), you can bet I would spend it on just about anything other than a mini.

Now if you can show me how riding a mini would do anything other than be "fun", I would be willing to listen. My full size moto helps me in many ways with my skills and speed on my bike. I ride my moto on a lot of trails that are much like the trails I would ride my bike. You can't take a mini on these trails, so what's the point.

Outside of goofing on dirt jumps or a small track, what point does riding a mini serve? I don't dirt jump and I don't live near a track.

I never understand the hate that people dish on mini's.......:nopity:
Not everyone is a pro throttle jockey capable of mastering a CRF450 blah,blah.
I got a couple moto's (street and dirt) and time and time again my little bike brings out more grins than anything else.

If anything a MTBr who dabbles in mini's will learn valuable crossover techniques than just tring not to drop a big bike..

For example i had some monkees over a while back and i let everyone ride the kawi100 (including the girls) and much fun was had.
If i woulda put them on the big Ducati i don't think they would have enjoyed it at all.
See my point?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
back in my youth and mx days. you'd never see a pit without an xr75 or yz80 in it.

and if you weren't light on your feet you'd get run over by the likes of brad lackey, rex staten, marty tripes, jim pomeroy etc...
rippin around on em.

talk about the good ol days.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I see your point, and think if I had the cash/time/place it might be fun. But the fun is limited by both $$$ and a place, right? You can't pack the mini and head to the dunes, right? You can't pack the mini and trail ride in the hills, right? You can't pack the mini and hit the high desert for some enduro, right?

Yet I can (and do) take my 400 to all these and the only thing I need to do is change my back tire for the dunes.

So for me, the cash:fun ratio is too low for me to invest. If it's cool for you and you enjoy, that's cool. But i still think the joy is limited to goofing around, unless I am missing something.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jimmydean said:
But i still think the joy is limited to goofing around, unless I am missing something.
life's all about goofing around.
sounds like you have a cool toy in your toy box.

have fun.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
LOOnatic said:
If anything a MTBr who dabbles in mini's will learn valuable crossover techniques than just tring not to drop a big bike.
I haven't ridden a big MX bike in years. That's why I got the mini and not mention how much fun they are. People I know how have them just rave on how much fun they are. I wanted my own to ride with other people I know who have one. Personally, That's what I am hoping for. FUN. That's it. That's the same reason I love DH and 4x.
It' would also be great to hone some skills for DH and I'm sure it will help some. Big Jumps and fast speeds but on a mini. To me, it seems closer to an MTB than a Big MX does. As far as expense, I don't think there is even a comparison. Like I said, a BRAND NEW Kx250 fully tuned up with all the good parts will easily run 5k+ if not closer to 10k+. I plan on getting a Kx250 in a few months. But I say if your gonna spend the $$ for an MX Bike, you might as well get what you want. The Mini (Fully Tuned with good parts) was NOT EVEN CLOSE to that price tag. The price I paid for the Mini wouldn't even get you a descent DH Rig. My Yeti 303 that will be here next Month, is costing more than the Mini.