Quantcast

Who rides before going to work?

How long do you ride before going to work?

• Less than a hour

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • More than 3 hours!

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I rode two hours before I went to work. I feel mentally alert but a little tired.

Next week, I am going to get up even earlier and try to make the whole 35 mile ride from my house to work. I wonder how I will feel then?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Never ridden before work but I've gotten up around 5am a couple of mornings this season to get some backcountry snowboarding in before work. I normally feel about how you described on those days but it's a great way to start the morning.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I ride to work. Does that count? It usually takes around 30 minutes. I try to mix in as many urban drops and skinnys as terrain allows.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I ride before work and to work. The time all depends on the weather and what time I get up.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My ride to work is 8 miles round trip. Going to work is a bit faster than coming back because my hill is soo steep. Going to work takes 11 min on average and coming home takes 16-25 minutes depending on how hardcore I feel. My hill coming back is insane grade for the last 1/2 of the hill. Let me tell you, this hill does not mess around. Its normally a good wake up before work. I'm only tired for maybe 5 min after sitting down.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
When I do ride it's commuting. My ride is 14 miles one way so it's relatively easy to do in under an hour. It's too dark to do that right now, but I'm working on that. (just ordered a light. :))

I know what you mean about being more alert but tired. Although, that feeling goes away the more I commute. It becomes normal.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I commute sometimes but I've never been able to get up super early and do a real ride before a long work day. I have better luck night riding after work.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
OGRipper said:
I commute sometimes but I've never been able to get up super early and do a real ride before a long work day. I have better luck night riding after work.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have to be ready to rock and/or roll at work by 8. Really, I cant see myself getting up much ealier than 7. Heh.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Never have, never will. Just can't do it in construction. Too bad too, i'd like to have more time on cardio, just can't do it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Skookum said:
Never have, never will. Just can't do it in construction. Too bad too, i'd like to have more time on cardio, just can't do it.
I have a computer job, so it is sitting on my ass most of the day. If worked construction, I am not sure I could even ride...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sometimes I ride my bike to the train rather than take the bus. It's about 30 minutes total. I don't know that I would consider that a ride though becuase I'm going to work.

I have gone on a real ride after work for an hour or two.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I commute. I can make it door to door in ~11 minutes if I take the quickest route. Long route runs me about 30 minutes. Going home the short route takes ~19 minutes and the long one takes 35 mins.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Brian HCM#1 said:
I stare at my bikes every morning does that count, I haven't ridden in a few months:( Damn new house is taking ALL my free time right now.
I am thinking about attacking JM again Saturday morning. I might ride my Norco HT since I want to take BART...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Classes don't start till noon, so a couple times a week I'll go for a 2-4 hour XC ride. I'm exhausted in class and don't learn a thing, but it's awesome to ride solo early in the morning.

I used to do exterior house painting last summer, and since I have no car or truck, I would ride the road bike out to jobs. The dude I worked with was always late, so we'd get there around the same time. Hours to paint were from 8am till 6pm. After work there was always a big headwind to roll back into town, and then several times a week we'd go for a DH run on a nearby and hectic trail. Summer is the best with its post 8:30 sunsets!

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Always, generally 1-2 hours. I work nights/graves. If I didn't ride before work I would never ride. While not as grueling as roofing, I'm on my feet all night slinging dough [I run a bakery]. Yes, it makes work hell ... but worth it ... I think. On my days off though, I ride tell my legs give up, eat a big ol fatty burger, polish off a couple 22's of Smoked Porter, and pass right the F out. :love:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well I ride to work, but several morning a week.. usually when its nicer out I will include a 45 minute ride around the park first then get to work. Its tough for me though, My work day starts at 5 a.m.