Quantcast

Who saw O.A.R. at the Oakdale Sunday?

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
Was anyone else at the show? Of a Revolution ( O.A.R. ) at the Oakdale, on sunday 8/8. Howie Day and another band were there.

What'd you guys think. The first band, Graham Colton or something didn't set the mood right in my opinion.

Howie Day was good but should have cut his set down by about 3 song's at least, the crowd got bored with him.

O.a.r. I must say, was unreal. They played crazy game of poker straight into a Marley cover, it was unbelievable. The crowd was going nuts. My section in mid orchestra got into the music, but a lot of the crowd I saw just stood there... :nopity:

I thought O.a.r. was nuts, what'd everyone else think?

So far this summer, no one has come close to the performance of O.a.r. last night in my opinion, Guster was good, and so was Ben folds, and dmb was too, but I don't know, O.a.r. had something else going for them. I've heard dispatch was pretty sick, unfortanetly I couldn't find a ride there.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Oar is this lame asss band from ohio that has a total following of college frat boys and girls that love "crazy games of poker"----keep in mind this is coming from a college frat boy ----dont listen to oar. www.atreyurock.com

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
It's a concert venue in the woods of East Bumblefock, Connecticut....less than 30 minutes from my apartment. :D
ok thanks!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
golgiaparatus said:
Not huge O.A.R. fan myself, what other bands to you listen to on a regular basis... just curious.
just not that type of music i like alot of heavy/punk stuff here are a few: CKY, Atreyu, From autumn to ashes, my chemical romance, In flames, HIM, gyroscope, headautomatica, Brazil....i dunno, im real into music so i guessi am just over critical about bands i feel suck :eviltongu

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
golgiaparatus said:
:stupid:

BTW... WTF is that link? Cant get the mp3s off there but from the looks of the merch this is another wannabe corn/tool/my parents wont let me stay out past 9:00 band.

HHAHAHHAHA noway man, they are really good...as is tool IMO, but Korn just flat out blows, atreyu is more of an Emocore band, really alot of throaty sreaming with good singing as well...check out the site, there new cd called "the curse" is sick

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
manhattanprjkt83 said:
just not that type of music i like alot of heavy/punk stuff here are a few: CKY, Atreyu, From autumn to ashes, my chemical romance, In flames, HIM, gyroscope, headautomatica, Brazil....i dunno, im real into music so i guessi am just over critical about bands i feel suck :eviltongu
I play music therefore am also very critical. There is a lot of talent out there its all just a matter of creativity... the bands that you like, I am WAY overcritical of them I have to really hear some musicianship to even respect it. Tool for instance, there is much talent in Tools drummer, and I respect him for branching out to other genres and trying to grow musically like for instance the dud is taking lessons from one of the worlds greatest Tabla players Aloki Dudda... something that takes huge amounts dicipline, a lot of punk and metal bands just make me sick how they vamp 3 chords over an overplayed zero pocket 4/4 beat.

What I dont like about O.A.R. is... I feel like they have a lot of talent but arent trying to be really original or move in new directions at all... just stagnant, make the frat kids happy. I think they would be better if they had an audiance that pushed them to make good music, but they have picked up a crowd that wouldnt even notice if they played in the same key on every song or not. Same feeling I get from DMB, huge talent there, somehow grabbed the wrong crowd and werent pushed creatively... thus, well now there stuff is very dry and boring (another hugely talented drumer BTW).

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
golgiaparatus said:
Not huge O.A.R. fan myself, what other bands to you listen to on a regular basis... just curious.
On an everyday basis I listen to a little bit of everything from Trance to accoustic.

For an O.A.R. type of band I listen to a lot of
Guster
Ben Harper
the old Blind Melon stuff
older Counting Crows
some DMB
Death Cab for Cutie
Dispatch
Gary Jules
Hootie
Jack Johnson
Slightly Stoopid
older Third Eye Blind

For rock/punk or whatever you want to call it type of stuff I listen to a lot of
Tool
Godsmack
Finger Eleven
Incubus ( mostly from S.C.I.E.N.C.E. )
AFI
Coheed and Cambria
AudioSlave
Days of the New
Form Of Rocket
Give up the Ghost
Linkin Park
Rufio
Staind
Stone Temple Pilots
Alice in Chains
Waterdown
Ra

For some other stuff
Ben Folds
Tim Hardin
Zwan ( Billy Corgan's the lead singer )
Allman Brothers
Bob Dylan
Pearl Jam
Porcupine Tree
Radiohead
REM
Rufus Wainwright
Howie Day
Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Neil Young

For rap and hip-hop
Aesop Rock
Atmosphere
Benefit
Big Hawk
Blac Haze
Black Moon
Cam'ron
Cannibal Ox
Cormega
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Dizzy Rascal
Diverse
DJ Honda
De la soul
Dogg Pound
Dre
G-Dep
Gangstarr
Guru ( the monotone guy from gangstarr )
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks
KRS One
older Mobb Deep
Nas
People under the Stairs
Snoop
The Streets
Talib Kweli
Tupac
Zion I

For some Trance and Techno type stuff
Paul Oakenfold
Dj Tiesto
Paul Van Dyke
Darude
Desa House
DJ Hydro
Dj Keoki
DJ Icey
DJ Kasanova
DJ Shadow
DJFX
Dozuki
Eurythmics
Lords of Acid
Praga Khan
New Order
Crystal Method
Sneaker Pimps
Subatomic Glue

As I said, I listen to a little bit of all types of music, for the most part.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Dude, you should just stick with the hip-hop. Some good choices there, but everything else you listed (w/the exception of Young, Dylan, and Zeppelin) pretty much sucks.

Oh, and get out of Connecticut as soon as you can, it's the best thing you'll ever do. Take it from me, I grew up there.

Wassobe said:
On an everyday basis I listen to a little bit of everything from Trance to accoustic.

For an O.A.R. type of band I listen to a lot of
Guster
Ben Harper
the old Blind Melon stuff
older Counting Crows
some DMB
Death Cab for Cutie
Dispatch
Gary Jules
Hootie
Jack Johnson
Slightly Stoopid
older Third Eye Blind

For rock/punk or whatever you want to call it type of stuff I listen to a lot of
Tool
Godsmack
Finger Eleven
Incubus ( mostly from S.C.I.E.N.C.E. )
AFI
Coheed and Cambria
AudioSlave
Days of the New
Form Of Rocket
Give up the Ghost
Linkin Park
Rufio
Staind
Stone Temple Pilots
Alice in Chains
Waterdown
Ra

For some other stuff
Ben Folds
Tim Hardin
Zwan ( Billy Corgan's the lead singer )
Allman Brothers
Bob Dylan
Pearl Jam
Porcupine Tree
Radiohead
REM
Rufus Wainwright
Howie Day
Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Neil Young

For rap and hip-hop
Aesop Rock
Atmosphere
Benefit
Big Hawk
Blac Haze
Black Moon
Cam'ron
Cannibal Ox
Cormega
Dead Prez
Deltron 3030
Dizzy Rascal
Diverse
DJ Honda
De la soul
Dogg Pound
Dre
G-Dep
Gangstarr
Guru ( the monotone guy from gangstarr )
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks
KRS One
older Mobb Deep
Nas
People under the Stairs
Snoop
The Streets
Talib Kweli
Tupac
Zion I

For some Trance and Techno type stuff
Paul Oakenfold
Dj Tiesto
Paul Van Dyke
Darude
Desa House
DJ Hydro
Dj Keoki
DJ Icey
DJ Kasanova
DJ Shadow
DJFX
Dozuki
Eurythmics
Lords of Acid
Praga Khan
New Order
Crystal Method
Sneaker Pimps
Subatomic Glue

As I said, I listen to a little bit of all types of music, for the most part.

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
scofflaw23 said:
Dude, you should just stick with the hip-hop. Some good choices there, but everything else you listed (w/the exception of Young, Dylan, and Zeppelin) pretty much sucks.

Oh, and get out of Connecticut as soon as you can, it's the best thing you'll ever do. Take it from me, I grew up there.
Yeh man, my older brother over the years has introduced me too some good hip-hop. As for the other stuff, reguardless of people's opinions, I like it.

Everyone says life out of CT is better, I actually don't mind CT all that much. Where'd you grow up? Have any other hip-hop reccomendations?

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
T-Pirate said:
OAR isn't horrible but I don't listen to them. You do listen to some other good bands though wassobe. Deltron is one of my favorites ever, as is The Streets and Zion I.

Deltron's okay, I listen to them occasionaly. The streets, I like a small minority of their song's, but what I do like by them is good. Zion I is good, I like just about all of their stuff that I have heard.