Quantcast

Who says Diesels are slow?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://www.cumminsracing.com/mainpage.htm

Cummins DIESEL dragster runs 7.98 at 167.43 MPH on Blue Sun biodiesel!

I was talking with my wife last night about my truck and I started to wounder if I made it run on biodiesel, if it would still be as fun to drive as it is on gas? So trying to find some articles on hotrods or other cars/trucks that are diesel based, I came across this bad boy.

A good friend of mine and I were talking about doing a conversion in his '78 Bronco to a Cummins diesel to get better milage and run bio. His truck is lifted 14" and he runs 39" Mickey Thompson Baja tires. It does very well off road, but it also has a big block 460 and gets like 6 mpg.

Then I thought about my truck and how fun it is to drive with 360 bhp and can haul bikes. But the milage sucks and gas prices suck even worse. So this article made me think about it more and now I need to do some figures. I also like the idea of getting 300K+ miles out of a crate Cummins, not bad at all.

J

JRB

I'm with partsy, but I have rolled pretty fast while driving a diesel pickup. It didn't need to do 110, but it would. I have seen trucks doing 120-130 up in the panhandle, and that just blows my mind. Error at 100 weighing 80,000 or more is usually fatal.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Biodiesel is cheap to make (average like $0.70 a gallon or less) and better for your engine. It also makes the exhaust smell like french fries.

Our next vehicle purchase will be diesel for sure.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am just looking at alternatives, that's all. I wouldn't say my truck is "fast", but it get's it enough to be fun to drive. It smokes the tires very well and would hold its own against a lot of cars in the 1/4 mile.

But after doing the research on what it would take to convert the Bronco, I thought it might be possible.

It's just that MOST diesel based cars/trucks are ok, but when you look at the TDI VW's, they aren't as fun to drive as thier fosil fuel brothers.

The quesiton is, how hard is it to make a "green" car that is fun to drive? I guess I could pull a "yellow" motor out of a newer Chevy too. I need to look into that.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
H8R said:
Biodiesel is cheap to make (average like $0.70 a gallon or less) and better for your engine. It also makes the exhaust smell like french fries.

Our next vehicle purchase will be diesel for sure.
Next year I am buying my wife a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I won't make the gas, there are 2 commercial card lock stations in town that have bio pumps.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know I "can" make it myself, but my garage is small and I don't want to be playing with Lye in the house.

If I get a house with a shop in a year or two that will change. There are also delivery services available that will drop drums at your house for less than $2 a gallon.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jimmydean said:
I know I "can" make it myself, but my garage is small and I don't want to be playing with Lye in the house.

If I get a house with a shop in a year or two that will change. There are also delivery services available that will drop drums at your house for less than $2 a gallon.
Word.

My wife works for a restaurant that would supply us with all the free oil we would need for if we had the kit. in fact I think we would be making surplus to sell.

We are looking at a small Dodge Sprinter for bikes and camping, etc.

:thumb:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Westy said:
Probably more significant than a diesel dragster. Audi just won the Sebring 12 hour race with this little diesel bad boy.

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en1/experience/motorsport/Audi_R10_TDI/Diesel_at_Le_Mans.html
that was a cool race. i watch it.:)

if you beg to differ watch this
http://download.audi.com.edgesuite.net/werbespots/r10_emo_high_cbr.zip

i have two tdi golfs.
i took my muffler of and went out the side.
it has a cool turbo whizzz and beefy deiles sound!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
NJ the used car capital of the world.

i got it from a head audi dude. it was imaculant!