Quantcast

who sells brand new cars for like 7 grand?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I always see those ads on tv and ignore them. now I need a new car and I don't want to buy and old POS.

I can't afford an expensive car and want something that I don't have to take to the shop right away. used cars are damm expensive too (for newwer onese) so I am looking into new ones. but those cheap new ones:)

kia, hyundia? who makes these things? :mumble:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i think chevy might have a super small compact in about that range. if you can up to about 9 you'll have a lot more to choose from.
if a car cost's 10ish just tell them you have 9cash and if they take it great and if they dont walk away.
you have to power.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I really love Toyota's Scion TC. Very clean and nicely equiped and priced (although it's more than twice your $7k budget).

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
uh, I only speak poor mans english guys.....

and yea N8, why not just post freak ferrari's and crap? :nuts:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
The Base model cars aren't very good from Kia and Hyundia, the are about 8-9 grand with taxes and shipping, the Chevy that was mentioned is called the Aveo and its made by Kia, and starts realistically at 10 large. If I was on a tight budget I would by a 3-4 car that had relativitly low miles on it.

decent deal here

here is a quick one I found on the internet, This car new would run over 16k, you get it for half that plus you don't take the big hit in depriciation value that you do on a new car so you investment doesn't lose money rapidly, and your insurance is less too.

Just my 2cents.....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
pnj said:

No kiding!

I'm looking for a $1k roadie. Help?
Why not get a Serotta?
STFU.

pnj said:
oh, get a bank loan your saying?

maybe, maybe..
sorry, yeah. If you are with a Credit Union or AAA, you'll probably get better interest rates than most other places.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pnj said:

Bwahhhhhhhh now that's F'ing funny!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh, another option is pre-owned guaranteed vehicles. They're usually the same manufacturer of the cars that are sold brand new at the dealership... they look 'em over and give you a couple years warranty.

Another option is to buy a used vehicle and purchase a warranty/service plan from another company. I don't like this idea, but there ya go.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ha, another idea... what about a low-end, no-frills small truck? With comparable features, aren't they usually cheaper than a car?

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
LordOpie said:
Oh, another option is pre-owned guaranteed vehicles. They're usually the same manufacturer of the cars that are sold brand new at the dealership... they look 'em over and give you a couple years warranty.......

I've had some success with this route, my last 2 purchases have been used Pathfinders through Nissan dealers and both of them have performed very well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Your best bet is a low mileage used Toyota Tercel, Echo, Honda Civic, or maybe even a Corolla.....

You'll get more useful life out of that kind of car than a bottom-of-the-barrel new car from Chevy, Kia, etc.

YMMV.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
carmax isn't in washingtion i guess...

I have thought about the used/certifed cars and will probably go that route simply because of the value drop on brand new cars.. and as mentioned those new cheap cars are usually crap.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
clearly you need a Yugo:

Seriously, I'd definitely look at the cert used but also some of the new low end Toy/Hondas might be down there, but better quality than the chevys. Toyota's releasing a new small car called the Yaris. Might be worth looking at.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I would stay away from 3-4 yr old pickups/suv's..4wd is more headaches and money. Get a nice japanese car in the $7000 range you cant go wrong. it will last you another 10 years if you treat it right... you'll be sick of it by then

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got an '02 civic last year, certified, w/ ~55K on it for 9,5K.

if you want a new car under 7K yr best bet would be to fly to poland or cz rep and buy a Skoda. even then you probably won't make yr price point.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
LordOpie said:
i hear that.
:) I may have TWO dead cars in front of my house right now but it IS a house. cement foundation, wood construction.:)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
When gas hit 3 bucks a gallon, i decided that i wont be buying a station wagon. Here are the cars im looking at, i will probably buy one next month or so, i dont want to rush such a big purchase for me.

Ford Focus. 32-35 MPG
VW Bug or Golf TDI. 40+ MPG
Pontiac Vibe Suv. 31 MPG
Toyota Matrix. 33-36

Currently i am leaning towards the Focus and the Matrix. There are a few in my area going for around 7 grand. use www.cars.com to search your zip code.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
N8 said:
I really love Toyota's Scion TC. Very clean and nicely equiped and priced (although it's more than twice your $7k budget).

by far the best car for your $$ available.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Barbaton said:
You know the Vibe and the Matrix are the same car, right?

No, i didnt. I got those MPG figures off of msnautos.com maybe i wrote down the mileage for the AWD vibe. :think:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
mack said:
No, i didnt. I got those MPG figures off of msnautos.com maybe i wrote down the mileage for the AWD vibe. :think:
There may be differences in engine tuning or available options, like the AWD thing, so it's still worth looking at both, but they are the same car. Toyota didn't think that "Corolla wagon" would sell as well as "Matrix/Vibe."

Since the Corolla's not in the lineup any more this year, is the Scion Tc the replacement? does Tc stand for Toyota corolla?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
corey_dcstreet said:
isn't the vibe a pontiac? since when are pontiac & toyota in cahoots?
http://cars.about.com/b/a/129470.htm

The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are fraternal twins and the youngest children of a Toyota-General Motors partnership that goes back twenty years.
:sneaky:

ed. Here's another tidbit from the Toyota website

NUMMI [New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc] is the joint venture of Toyota and General Motors. Located in Fremont, California, it employs 5,700 team members and produces about 390,000 vehicles annually. NUMMI builds the Toyota Corolla, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Voltz (for export to Japan) and Toyota Tacoma.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
pnj said:
:) I may have TWO dead cars in front of my house right now but it IS a house. cement foundation, wood construction.:)
Watch Yer tone I live in a Double Wide and Have 3 cars that run.....
(04 Maxima 02 Focus 01 Windstar)