Quantcast

Who smokes...meat?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Going to smoke my first brisket this weekend. Who has experience/tips on same? I have a 6 pounder, planning on a marinade/injection of red wine, mustard, lemon juice, horseradish, onion and garlic, and cayenne pepper...help a brother out?

Jan 4, 2013
I have never smoked meat myself, but would like to try some day.

I watched a guy one day. He put a mix of dry spices on the outside (dry rub). He smoked his for a while, maybe 90 minutes, and then wrapped it in lots of foil and cooked it another maybe 4 hours.

You put the fat side up to help it stay moist.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friends in North Carolina sent me a smoker tray for the oven. It weighs 40 pounds and is made from rough cast Iron. I wanted it for whiting and pastrami but in the 2 attempts at using it I have failed. I think it is made for a conventional oven and I am using it in a hearth.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My brother has a smoker made out of an old propane tank (the bigass ones used for home heat). He smokes everything. I have a small one and like to smoke pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon. Good luck with the brisket.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
As little meat as we eat, when we do it's always out of the smoker. I use a different style smoker than you but I have yet to find better recipes for rub or brine than here. We've smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas using the apple brine recipe for several years and O.M.G. :drool: Briskets or pork shoulders I never wrap in tinfoil until they come off for the rest. I've come to believe that a proper rest time is perhaps the most important and overlooked aspect of smoking. Depends on size but 20 minutes should be the minimum for any thing. I agree with fat side up.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
We have a full pig smoker and an electric smoker.

The biggest pain in the @ss about smoking meat is keeping it at the right temp. The full pig smoker requires constant attention as do a lot of the grill type ones to make sure the heat is at the right temp. The electronic one is soooooooo damn easy. You just set it all up, plug it in, and check on it in a few hours.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I dunno man. My weber smoker is pretty much set and forget once it's dialed in. Even when I do a big pork shoulder (20-ish hours) and I have to re-feed it charcoal about 12 hours through, temps stay rock steady. The only time I've ever had an issue is if its <20 degrees, then it's hard for me to get the temp above 200. Our last christmas turkey took damn near 6 hours, but the high that day was 12. That's the only time I've wished for an electric.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
My buddy does a few pork shoulders and some venison every christmas. All I know is it's a good excuse to sit around in his back yard and play drinking games all day. Always a good time. I approve of smoking meat :thumb:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Well, I had it in thebarrel for 5 hours, finished it in the oven for the last 45 minutes. Came out great, even took the remnants into work and everyone there said it was great.

Went with a chipotle and garlic rub, a little kosher salt and fresh black pepper. 4 hrs in I swabbed it with Heinz 57/honey/more chipotle. Even my non carnivorous son ate some, said he liked it too...

Now my problem is the Frau wants me to do it again!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm pretty sure PSP smoked some meat in the past few years while he binged on drugs. Anywho.....I have smoked hundreds of pounds of brisket, pork shoulder, spare ribs, beef ribs, chickens, turkeys ect. A good rub is all you need for a brisket. Keep at least a 1/2" fat cap on top, separate the point from the flat unless you are going to smoke for 12+ hours, rub and wrap in plastic overnight or 24 hours, after 6-8 hours in smoke you are fine wrapping in foil to finish in the oven, use a good mop sauce while on the smoker, mop once an hour and don't peek in between, use 2 thermometers if you and your smoker aren't tight.
A brisket from my learning days

30lbs of butt waiting for the smoker that I did last year, it was amazing! 8 hours on the smoker with apple and hickory then another 4 hours foil wrapped in the oven.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I used to use a standard side-box smoker, but about a year and a half ago I got Pellet smoker.
DANG those things are nice. Set and forget. I can throw some ribs on in the morning before a ride and pull them off when I get home. I can smoke a brisket over night and not have to get up every few hours to tend the fire. I can set the temp for 160 or up to 450/500. Total control.