Quantcast

who the f*** runs a 700X20 with a Schrader valve ?

splat

Nam I am
Today while doing my Communte to work , I had a flat , Basic snake bite. get out a replacement tube that I carry it a brand new 700X20 Tube. I un roll it and it is a Schrader valve ? who in there right mind would run a schrader valve on that narrow of a tire ? Since I was commuting I also carry a spare tube n my Back pack. and that had a presta vavle on it so all was good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
johnbryanpeters said:
If a boob buys a tube in the forest and there's no one there, does it make a sound?

Impossible, who is the boob buying the tube from? Unless there are tube vending machines, which is really kind of silly.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
splat said:
Today while doing my Communte to work , I had a flat , Basic snake bite. get out a replacement tube that I carry it a brand new 700X20 Tube. I un roll it and it is a Schrader valve ? who in there right mind would run a schrader valve on that narrow of a tire ? Since I was commuting I also carry a spare tube n my Back pack. and that had a presta vavle on it so all was good.

wellllllll.....dont those old schwinn varsitys and stuff use 700 x 23s with a schrader valve? those gum wall tires...

and most of the tubes are like 700 x 20-26....
soooo....guess you gotta bitch at the shop for that mistake...

splat

Nam I am
I bought 5 at once at the LBS , and just took 5 from the rack. and they are 700X17-23 .

What wrong with commuting on a 700X20 ? :)

And it was the front tire which is a 700X20 the rear is usally a 700X23 although right now it ia a 700X20 that is closer to an 18 that a 20. I really should change that one of these days .

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
splat said:
I bought 5 at once at the LBS , and just took 5 from the rack. and they are 700X17-23 .

What wrong with commuting on a 700X20 ? :)

And it was the front tire which is a 700X20 the rear is usally a 700X23 although right now it ia a 700X20 that is closer to an 18 that a 20. I really should change that one of these days .
You are asking for a flat w/ that tire.
Why don't you just get a 18mm Slick while you are at it. ;)

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
splat said:
Not if you make sure you keep the tire pressure up. :)

forget the 18 go for the 17 :D
17? Damn.... It's been a while since I owned a road bike. Almost 10 years now. :eek:
Back when I was a roadie, a 19lb bike was INSANE. What are they down to now.. something like 14?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Oh, and here is a way to remember them...
Presta (the skinny one) has the little thing on top that you unscrew and PRESS to put in air. Presta/Press

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I wish I rode on the glass-smooth roads you are fortunate to commute on. 20mm tires would break my fork on my ride...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
seriously tho, you wouldn't be more comfortable on wider tires?

Also, I don't think 20s are any more efficient than 23s. The contact patch is pretty much the same, yeah? I guess 20s could be a slight bit more aero?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
seriously tho, you wouldn't be more comfortable on wider tires?

Also, I don't think 20s are any more efficient than 23s. The contact patch is pretty much the same, yeah? I guess 20s could be a slight bit more aero?
Hell, 23's will get you fewer pinch flats...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm gonna start commuting again and am going to run 28s with thorn proof tubes, tire liners, and tru-goo.

I phucking hate flats while commuting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use Specialized Armadillo Elites, 700x23 and only 260g each due a slightly lighter casing (compared to a regular Armadillo) and a folding bead.

They ride extremely well and I have not gotten a flat yet. And my ride is going through the dredges of SF...

J

JRB

The question is, who the f buys tubes without noting what valve orientation they have???

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I only gotten 1 flat on my roadbike. I put a dollop of Stans sealant in each tube, flat was not received with this setup. Seems to work like a charm.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm gonna start commuting again and am going to run 28s with thorn proof tubes, tire liners, and tru-goo inside Armadillos.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
-BB- said:
17? Damn.... It's been a while since I owned a road bike. Almost 10 years now. :eek:
Back when I was a roadie, a 19lb bike was INSANE. What are they down to now.. something like 14?
INSANE these days is under 8lbs, average serious roadbike i,e: not weight weenied out but with light parts is around 16or so.

http://www.m2racer.com/infopageitems/lightBike/M2RACER-LightBike.html

um, ya, steel rimmed touring bikes are probably the target market for narrow shrader valved tubes.